Newey Style Snaps

Should be noted however that I would consider "newey style" snaps a minimum [for Replica]. So no tandy snaps for example.

Perfect opening for this thread :)

A Replica cannot go without snaps that have a similar look than the original Neweys used. The RS and TM armors are provided with some very nice snaps which are very close to what the Neweys looked but when I asked, people (ok, Locitus in fact) couldn’t give me a brand name or a link to what they use, so i looked for it on the Bay this WE.

It’s something I really don’t like to do as I suck in scouting eBay and usually never find what I’m looking for, but this time I’ve found some snaps that look pretty decent for me.

For my research I used the pics of the original Newey kindly provided by Chris (aka voice in the crowd):

sml_gallery_12157_59_8015.jpg sml_gallery_12157_59_1090229.jpg

sml_gallery_12157_59_1341718.jpg sml_gallery_12157_59_330570.jpg

And here’s what I’ve found, choosing the “silver†or "Gun metal" and “12,5mm†options:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-30-Sets-Snap-Fasteners-Press-Studs-Poppers-Sewing-Buttons-Leather-Craft-/171002550841

With the press-tool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-x12mm-Poppers-Snap-Fastener-Press-Stud-Repair-Kit-w-Tool-Sewing-Leather-Craft-/180943860953?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item2a211834d9

$T2eC16FHJG!E9nm3pwfEBRD2g)E3eg~~60_12.J $(KGrHqFHJF!FENfdy0o2BRD2gbLC)Q~~60_12.J

6335C3A5BF8_zpsc202e0fc.jpg

I haven’t bought some so I don’t have them in hand to check the measurements, but from the pictures it looks like they’re 1mm off from the original. Well, this is not that much and they have a fairly good resemblance.

So what do you guys think about them? Close enough or not?

Also, let’s put things clear, those snaps are good to affix the belt to the ab plate (even though there are lots of unsnapped belts on the film), or to snap the back to the chest plate, but I doubt they would do the job for a fully snap strapped armor, so if you don’t want to use brackets and want to use these snaps to strap your armor, do it at your own risk.

But as we’re in the Replica section brackets are obviously a must.

Edited by The5thHorseman

Just for the record, I use Newey snaps on my replica builds.

Before I scored the Newey snaps I used to use either Prym or Capica snaps. Both are very close in size to the original snaps. I believe the official name for this type of snap is 'S' spring fastener. There are many different brands available on ebay so no excuses not to use the correct type of snaps. And as you say, Germain, these are only good enough to be used in the same places as on the original armour. They are no good at holding armour together.

Just for the record, I use Newey snaps onmy replica builds.

I'm impressed  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: . I guess it's the benefit from living in the UK!

And thanks for the keyword "Prym". I had already heard of "Capica" but it doesn't return any good results when searching for it, but "Prym" does. I found a lot of excellent results in a bunch of minutes with this keyword.

Excellent details! Thanks Paul and Germain! I did some searching and bought some snaps, and once I get back home I will take some shots of them, see how they stack up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad this topic was brought up as I am now in need of snaps for my armor. I was late to notice this but RS Props didn't include the male snap ends for my suit. The female snap ends are already installed on the belt & the shoulder strapping.(One full snap not included for the AB plate to Kidney plate strap.) I need to source a set of these snaps to match whats already installed and the setting tool if possible. I don't want to remove any of the snap ends already set as it might end up complicating things. Contacted RS to get these but no reply yet from them. 

16092834-90d0-43d3-80bd-a928fdbd969f_zps

If someone can send me a link to a seller or website to order these Capica snaps, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Just found these but can't order them directly. Are these acceptable though? Correct size?  

http://www.best-tex.com/springsnapfastener.htm

S-Spring-Snap-Fasteren_zps411a38d6.gif

ITEM CAPS SOCKETS STUDS STUD EYELETS   5515_BR_1312 13mm 12mm 10.5mm flat 10.5/7.0mm

I realized I should have kept this thread purely about replica stuff and not about my own personal quest for supplies. If my posts need to be moved please do so. Apologies.

Edited by Bulldog44

What you need is to measure the socket on the female half, with callipers for example, and then find a male half with a matching Stud eyelet to fit in the female socket.

s-spri10.jpg

Most likely the RS snaps should be around 12-12,5mm ones which means you're looking for a 7mm stud eyelet (the 12mm isn't the inside socket measurement, it's the full diameter).

captur16.jpg

The site you link have good snap but i think it only sells in mass and not to particular, but the snaps in my first post should be what you're looking for. The female half is 12mm so the stud eyelet should be 7mm.

No word back from RS yet. Thanks Germain for the exact measurements. There is one more mega craft shop in Tokyo I will visit this weekend and hopefully they will have snaps that closely match the snaps RS uses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, I use Newey snaps on my replica builds.

Before I scored the Newey snaps I used to use either Prym or Capica snaps. Both are very close in size to the original snaps. I believe the official name for this type of snap is 'S' spring fastener. There are many different brands available on ebay so no excuses not to use the correct type of snaps. And as you say, Germain, these are only good enough to be used in the same places as on the original armour. They are no good at holding armour together.

Will they be better than regular snaps to hold my belt on my Ab plate?

Thanks.

Will they be better than regular snaps to hold my belt on my Ab plate?

Thanks.

No. They will likely do worse. But if you are serious about building a replica it doesn't matter because there won't be any alternative. If you just want to troop and have fun you are reading the wrong thread.