Albuquerque Storm Trooper Helmet Mold

More on the eye molds.  I smoothed the edges.  I still need to work them a little more.  They were a little fragile so I glued them down to cardboard.  The goal here is to get a negative mold because I need a whole table full of these to make it worth while.  So I will make the negative out of the HIPS and pour plaster into the molds and make multiple eyes and use some smoked acrylic on the vacuum table.  Anything I should know about the acrylic????

14418043629_9699a8eaf1_z.jpg

14417979340_a26c6be030_z.jpg

No progress this weekend.  I am waiting for my supplies to come in.  I ordered the rubber trim from Seals Direct.  I have the paint coming and I still need to finish up the eye molds.

Ok so besides finishing doing an eye pull with the new eye molds I'm about done.  It has been a crazy experience.  Here are some photos of my trimming job and fitting of the pieces.  I am almost there with the ear buds but my eyes started crossing and I was just too tired to finish it up last night.  I will start a new thread here fairly soon with the build of the helmet.  I hope you all enjoyed the torture that was this project.  In the end I am very satisfied with the results.  This is a really nice helmet with great lines and symmetry.  Again, thank you all for the help.

14669536505_d092298d67_z.jpg

14482851420_033ea0d9ee_z.jpg

14483077727_9bb8b4c753_z.jpg

14669199102_d165409d06_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

wow! that looks really nice!

glad I was able to help out !!

only a few minor bumps and such on the cheek tubes.  the ears look really nice from what I see.

.. can't wait to see a finished result. make sure you put star foam liners and chinstraps.

now all you need are some keith's hovie tips!

I would have to agree with TK Bondservnt, very nice so far and looking forward to seeing the bucket complete.

wow! that looks really nice!

glad I was able to help out !!

only a few minor bumps and such on the cheek tubes.  the ears look really nice from what I see.

.. can't wait to see a finished result. make sure you put star foam liners and chinstraps.

now all you need are some keith's hovie tips!

Yeah...I looked at those bumps numerous times and then looked at the original molds from the movies and said screw it. lol.  It's got a few bumps.  I thought about drilling out the problem areas because it's the figerglass resin reacting to the heat of the plastic.  And then filling it and re-sanding it.  Maybe for a rainy day.  

you might try making a reverse mold after you smooth everything out, and then make a casting to duplicate your mold.

then you can cast a hollow mold make it out of aluminized resin, so essentially you'll always have a way to

make quick backup copies of your sculpt in case it deteriorates too quickly. you'll lose your really fine sculpt!

also one of the best ways to see the actual shape of the item you're making is to own a replica of the original.

it's a great way to see the complexity hidden inside the shapes.

aluminum forming tools

655aweb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

have you ever compared them to a real helmet for size and shape? they look very original.

I am seeing scale and shape differences.

very interesting work.

could you ship me one so I can measure it. then I'd return it.

I want to document it compared to AP and ATA and TM.  a photo line up, if you will.

can you add the chinstraps and foam liners... it's what makes them.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392