Deac L2A3 Sterling Restoration

So I finally got some time to actual work on my L2A3 deac kit from UniqueCanes that I bought a while back. 

This was how I recieved it. (pic from previous post)

t4w7cy.jpg

Thankfully the folding stock saw none of the horrible BATF torch cutting.

s5z79d.jpg

So after realizing I had two options as far as restoration, one option being the purchase of a steel receiver tube with a bonded template and mating the parts from my kit with the pipe, but I didnt want to lose the bayonet lug flat area, and I remember seeing a thread on here from a bit ago where a Wiselite Sterling was used to cast for parts, but the Wiselite Sterlings were built on bonded template pipes, and had no bayonet lug flat area, so that option was a no go. After trying multiple approaches, I ended up sliding the bolt into the 3 pieces that touched in which the bolt was housed, and it worked splendidly!

166c1o3.jpg

The bolt is Loctite 2 part epoxy'ed into the reciever housing, and look! A military acceptance insignia, guess it must have seen some war time!?

219yjux.jpg

After coming down off of my 3 piece assembly high, i realized that the front and rear portions were not dependent on anything internally to mate them correctly. I tried a few things, but I took a piece of 1.25" PVC pipe and heated it so i could manipulate it, and placed it while heated into the receiver and clamped it to gain the shape and dimension of the inner receiver diameter. After that, the PVC coupler got a very very very light coat of WD40 so it wouldnt bond to the metal inside the receiver when i epoxy'ed it. I used JB Weld SteelStick to fill in the gaps of missing metal as a result of the torch cutting. 

214w7l1.jpg

The front segment of the receiver with all of the vent holes was harder because the torch cutting had removed so much of the metal. I basically repeated the steps from patching the rear, but this PVC coupler would stay in place and be drilled, not that big of a deal considering the T-Track should cover up most of it.

oabrbq.jpg

I was looking at alot of the Deac Sterling build threads on here and noticed that when the receiver is reassembled, its done so with less than valiant effort, resulting in a droopy looking receiver that seems to bend down on the ends. Had to double check ;)

2h6tw5u.jpg

2aa0woi.jpg

2d0etqa.jpg

fyd4yt.jpg

w2hv0x.jpg

So pardon the Bondo mess, I used the Glazing Spot Putty to refine all of the small pin holes from the QuickSteel

Folding stock sanded/primed.

sqseti.jpg

End cap sanded/primed.

dzz04x.jpg

I am continually amazed at the number of ways in which we see the "same" thing being done here at the FISD.

Very interesting project! Looking good to me so far. :D

NICE!!!  :)  :)   What Tim said too...just when I think I've seen every possible way to make a Sterling, along comes a new method!  Excellent work keeping the receiver straight - I spent extra time getting that alignment just right 'cause nobody wants a crooked gun!

I have a scope and counter I'd sell if you need a set for casting up.  PM me if you're interested in a really rare and good set.

nice job of making up the receiver!

The work continues......

My make shift spray painting laboratory

sl2vqp.jpg

Filler primer is my best friend

1z588yt.jpg

After priming and wet sanding

okv97c.jpg

Masking off the parts of the receiver that weren't going to get "texture"

2d6ryw.jpg

2ef4xdx.jpg

So im attempting to replicate the "wrinkle finish" texture. Found this at Home Depot, it's Rustoleum multi-color texture

359fi8g.jpg

Close up of the cap and it's "texture"

jjv0id.jpg

First coat of "texture" on receiver, folding stock, and end cap.

jl5fu9.jpg

11mcpdw.jpg

2mopn36.jpg

Close up

detht1.jpg

First pass of flat black

2cn761l.jpg

Still have some work to do paint wise, so stay tuned guys!

SWEET!

The masking and texture paint approach is very likely how I will finish mine.  Why?  I like the wrinkle finish and there have been some spectacular examples recently, but I simply like the texture finish better.  Grippy!!!  Nice work Zach!  I also like your paint lab! 

Picked up a set of 6 8" film canon extruded rubber T-Track off the custom saber shop for $20, they were a little on the softer side so pre-installation they received a coat of matte clear coat to stiffen them up a tad, and they come with adhesive already on the underside so installation was a breeze minus the measuring, which was nice because I didn't have to boil any water or burn the life out of my finger tips. I'll give them the rest of the night to cure and shape with the help of an elastic rainbow then do some fine gluing in the morning. Sight rail is in the works for tomorrow after class. Depressing since the sight rail will be the last of the building process until funds are available to pick up a real M38 and counter :(

157ga35.jpg

• Like 1

Sight rail is in the works for tomorrow after class. Depressing since the sight rail will be the last of the building process until funds are available to pick up a real M38 and counter.

That's EXACTLY how it goes for me.  I enjoy the building part more than anything and when it's done, I'm depressed that I didn't spend more time on it.  I built a Harley a couple years ago, and ran out of things to customize - so I sold it.

I'm curious about the rubber T-track and how it compares to Marv's T-track.  Does it bend or compress when you grip it or is it a hard rubber?

It felt very similar to say a wiper blade but a little on the stiffer side and after the coat of matte clear there was still enough give to make cutting and installing not too challenging but flexibility was drastically reduced post matte clear coat. Plus they have the bevel on the inside of them so there was no battle when mating the surfaces unlike resin ones that don't have the rounded bevel so when gluing they fit like a dream unlike flat non rounded ones.

Picked up a set of 6 8" film canon extruded rubber T-Track off the custom saber shop for $20, they were a little on the softer side so pre-installation they received a coat of matte clear coat to stiffen them up a tad, and they come with adhesive already on the underside so installation was a breeze minus the measuring, which was nice because I didn't have to boil any water or burn the life out of my finger tips. I'll give them the rest of the night to cure and shape with the help of an elastic rainbow then do some fine gluing in the morning. Sight rail is in the works for tomorrow after class. Depressing since the sight rail will be the last of the building process until funds are available to pick up a real M38 and counter :(

157ga35.jpg

I have real abs t track if you want some. Seems a shame to use rubber when the proper stuff is about. Especially on a real sterling.

There's some good comparison shots about the different t-tracks sources on this thread (but unfortunately, sskunky's ones aren't there):

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24735-anh-hero-e-11-requirements-for-centurion/

Marvs are accurate. We prettying found the stuff at the same time. It's the only off the shelf stuff that's accurate today. Gino will tell you his are more accurate but his were made using photos as reference. It came from the UK to start with and ours is from the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk