snap tool?

There are three most commonly used: either a snap press or snap pliers. These are both good but are limited to areas that are close to edges. There is also a snap installation kit which is an anvil that the snap sits in and a post that both forms and sets the snap which you need to hammer down. I like this because of its versatility.

• Like 1

I use the tool that comes with the Burch snaps, but a trick I like to do first is use a Philips head screwdriver, tap that into the post, this spreads and splits the post, then use the snap tool, just helps splay the post a little more ;)

I might have to try that Phillips screw driver trick. Half way through my armour build, my metal punch that came with my snaps has destroyed itself around the tip. So I was initially thinking,

Do I buy a new one:-------------
or a basic style set of pliers:
---------
Edit: not this one!----------

That Phillips trick might work though.....

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

GO DRITZ

Ā 

I have and used these on all of my suitsĀ 

Ā 

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Heavy-Duty-Fastener-Plier/dp/B005BB5GYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398615217&sr=8-1&keywords=dritz+snap+pliers

Ā 

with these snaps

Ā 

http://trooperbay.com/8-heavy-duty-snaps-with-tool/

Ā 

The "snap tool" comes with the snap packs.....you would have to use a hammer....

Ā 

It's a lot easier with the dritz snap pliers (1st link I above that I posted in this post) if you have an extra couple of bucks

Edited by Redforce

I say a combination of Dritz snap pliers and appropriate sized anvil / punch.Ā Ā Just be aware that the pliers are size specific when buying. Look for deals as they are kind of pricy. I found mine @ Joann fabric, it was an open package return, so they sold it to me at 75% off!Ā  Make sure youĀ get theĀ one that fits 5/8" snaps (size 24) The anvil and punch comes with some snapĀ packages I found at Walmart.

Pliers work great when making your snap plates for sure but you could do it with the anvil and punch. Then when you build butt plate to cod male snaps and belt snaps, using the anvil and punch work wonders. (because without them, you will wonder how you would have done itĀ  :laugh1:Ā )

• Like 1

Yes... toybiz is correct about the cod male snaps.....you will also need the snap tool, hammer method for the ab plate snaps that will be used to snap your belt onto your ab plate....

Someone else pointed me to that Dritz one as well. I think I'll pull the trigger on that. I later noticed that the 3rd one I mentioned is only for resin snaps, so I might go and edit my thread so no one lese gets confused.