What made you want to do a TK?

Daetrin

For me it was a dream since seeing my first stormtroopers blast their way into into the corridor of the Tantive IV back in '77. The character in my mind I really want to try to reproduce is the MG34 carrying guy patroling the Falcon's innards.

Wanting to be a stormtrooper is what moved me to buy my first SW costume (an FX TK suit), and join the 501st.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thought of owning stormtrooper armor seemed an impossible dream to me, since only people in Hollywood can have that kind of thing. Then I saw the movie Troops along with the Studio Creations website and realized, ordinary people can actually own armor! Ever since those days, Star Wars costuming has been in the front of my mind :)

Charlie

stormtroopers blast their way into into the corridor of the Tantive IV back in '77.

YES!

When I was a kid, my jaw just dropped and my eyes could not have been any bigger when the Stormtrooper blasted their way around!

Also when they stormed the detention centre. And the fact that they just step over their fallen comrades.. so very cold!!!! I like that you can't tell one trooper from another (unless your an ubber geek and look at the finer details).

But I could never be in the Navy.. so TK-147 is in the Imperial Army :salute:

I was 12 in '77 so was the idea target audience. The scene where they blast aboard the consular ship is one of my favorites too. No emotion or passion, just sheer discipline and faceless efficiency - to me those were the good guys in contrast to a bunch of mystics in robes spouting new agey feel-the-force-and-feel-good-about-yourself blather. It was a kid's interpretation anyway and I still kinda feel that way about it.

Now nearly 30 years later I never imagined I could be like one of those 'good guys'. B)

I know I am technically a "TD" but I had a "TK" for a few weeks before it got dirty. Anyway I was 4 years old when Star Wars came out. It of course was a phenomenon and when anyone of my parents friends when to see it they took me. I saw it 6 times. I will never for get the Imperial Star Destroyer flying over head, it still gives me shivers. But when the Stormtroopers rushed the Tantivie IV and kept pushing forward even when fellow troopers where falling I will never forget it. And then when they spoke "The plans where not in the main computer..." or "Look, Sir, droids"................wow! That was it. I wanted to be one. It only took 27 years.

I have an ESB Boba Fett suit and a Tusken. Boba has and always will be my favourite costume, but I've always wanted a Stormtrooper suit. The costume is just so iconic and recognizable, I fell in love with them when I first saw ANH all those years ago. Seeing a group of 501st members at a convention in 1999 didn't help either ;)

I've toyed around between doing a regular TK or a TD, but since ESB is my favourite movie and not as many people do that costume, I plan on doing an ESB Stormtrooper. Hopefully I'll have an update soon with the beginnings of my project!

WOMEN DIG IT!!

Ain't that the truth! One female Jedi that we troop with often is always complaining about it (e.g. that the jedi get ignored in favor of us troops)

WOMEN DIG IT!! ;)

Actually ditto to all the above mentioned!!!

Yeah, to the point that some of us women end up deciding to armor up. ;) I'll probably have lots of stories in the future about being groped by drunk women who think I'm a he. :rolleyes:

No way in hell am I dressing like Leia or a generic stuffy Imperial officer. The stormtroopers just have so much personality. You can't help but love them. At the very least, the armor is the ideal costume for taking hilarious photos. Nothing's funnier than a stormtrooper doing something out of character. No other costume quite has that same effect.

I have two major points that sold me on Troopers. In Star Wars when they blast through Tantive IV and step over the fallen opponents and comrades and stand attention as Vader walked in.

The other was the marching through the Death star in precise rythmn.

I always wanted to be a trooper. Before the FX Suits were out I nearly bought a studio creation which would have cost me an arm and a leg. After a while I gave up thinking they'd never make a suit like it. Wasn't until Revenge of the Sith I started hearing about the 501st here in Vegas. I did some investigating and I realized I could fullfill my dream. Got my suit and has trooped as much as possible since.

Scott

I have two major points that sold me on Troopers. In Star Wars when they blast through Tantive IV and step over the fallen opponents and comrades and stand attention as Vader walked in.

The other was the marching through the Death star in precise rythmn.

I always wanted to be a trooper. Before the FX Suits were out I nearly bought a studio creation which would have cost me an arm and a leg. After a while I gave up thinking they'd never make a suit like it. Wasn't until Revenge of the Sith I started hearing about the 501st here in Vegas. I did some investigating and I realized I could fullfill my dream. Got my suit and has trooped as much as possible since.

Scott

I'm not quite sure what got me into the TK interest. I wanted a 2nd costume, and you told me I'm the right height for the TK, weight-wise? Hah, the suit fits me skin tight! 120lbs! Hah. I then started to think, "How can I call myself a true member of the 501st if I were not a Stormtrooper?"

Andy

TK-1287

Kinda of a roundabout way of getting here, but I always loved the TK when I saw a bunch of you guys at Cons and stuff. When Episode III came out, I was sold on the Clone. I then got to talking with some of the Southern Outpost and met up with them at Chattacon, in which they let me wear the Vader suit for awhile. Putting on armor made it a sure thing I was getting a set of something. I actually bought a Clone helmet, but soon after sold it and went the TK route as it seemed to be a little more in line with my skills (at the time).

Anyway, I'm glad I went with the TK as it's a classic and everyone knows the Stormtrooper. :D

i saw some locals at the comic con way back when and was like " wow " . so i went about making a boba suit , it lasted for a while but it seams nowdays to many people are making boba suits and it is harder to participate in events without 4 or 5 guys wanting to be boba .

we are marching in the dallas nieman marcus christmas parade this year and i just want to be one of the troopers . to blend in with the rest of the troopers . to be one of many and unknown at the same time .

I never really knew about the Legion until I attended C3. I ended up talking to folks with legion t-shirts and learned the story of the 501st and the FX armor. A few emails with doug and bang, I'm building a lifesize wearable model / costume. It has been quite and experience, fun, frustrating and I've learned more about customing than I thought possible.

Its both a fun hobby and a realization of a dream to be "part" of the star wars universe. With the forthcoming 501st figure, TK's become our own toys!

Thx, Ed

I always wanted to be a Stormtrooper, plain & simple. My 1st attempt at armor was 16 or 17 years ago. I got yellow plastic file folders & made the armor, then I got a Don Post helmet, white shoes, black pants & turtle neck, black rubber gloves, & I cut margarine container tops & glued them to the rubber gloves. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it but I did win 1st prize at work, which was a old time wood radio.

I was 5 when I first watched ANH on the big screen,and the stormtroopers literally blew me away.Ever since then while growing up,I've dreamed about having my own armour.In UK,there used to be a TV show called 'Jim'll fix it' and he used to make kids dreams come true and I used to write him every week for armour but I never got it :( I used to make papier mache and cardboard armour all the time as a youngster.It was only when I first noticed Jeff's 'DH2 studio creations' website in '99 that I knew it was possible to make my own armour.Funnily enough,until I saw the DH2 site I never even knew about replica armour.I was never really into computers or the internet so how would I know about them?It was my brother who shown me and from that day on,I've been making my own.....the hard way :P Stormtrooper armour is simply the best costume you could ever want...period!

-Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

I started in costuming as Royal Guard, which is a great looking costume, but a bit boring. Guards usually stand somewhere waiting for Yoda :rolleyes:

I basically got myself a TK as i wanted to go to a certain trooping event where no guards were wanted. That was the reason why i made my wish to get a "real" armor come true.

It is more fun to be posing and trooping as a TK B)

Rob, very cool of you. Thanks for sharing.

Was looking for a statue for my entertainment area and thought a stormtrooper would be cool so started to look for one and found Garrison Carida's site and started looking through their pictures of past events and seen one of a single trooper TK-0076 visiting a young boy fighting a personal battle. with my brother dying of a brain tumor when he was very young and spending most of his life in a hospital, this particular picture ripped at my heart and it was right there and then that I decided if it was the last thing I do I would join such a noble cause, to make a childs day.

• 2 months later...

When I was a kid, I always played Star Wars at school with my friends, imitating the storm troopers fighting and being struck down...I always loved the storm troopers...but they also had a misterious existance, we didn't know if they were men or robots...I always said that they were left overs from the clone wars, and Ironically I was right at the age of 6. :)...also when i was a kid, I aways wondered if they were ever going to make the suits for people and children to wear, but they never did, at least as far as I know that could be afordable...but now that I can actually dress and don the armor of my heroes, it makes me proud to walk around and bring smiles to children's faces, and see the surprised looks on the faces of the parents, who I know that some of them had my same experiences and desires as a kid, but are to affraid to ask about the 501st...Maybe they think it would be to childish or something but I love it, and want to be burried in my armor :salute:

I am along the lines of every one else...

The first time I saw EP4, and the line "Theres one, set for stun" and Leia blasts him, then the other trooper says "She'll be alright" Not even a thought of his bud next to him dead on the ground... I thought wow, thats a bad mutha...

So now I wear my armor and hundreds of Japanese people take my pic and kids instantaly reconize who you are.

My TB gets a wow or two, but they are fans of the films. The TK is instant reconition.

Like someone said before, Rock star Syndrome.

Well for me i grew up on Star wars and star trek live long and prosper!! :lol:

Any who one day while working i thought hey i should buy a trooper suit. then the rubies vader came out me beeing noob thought this thing was the real deal.. a year later i learned a great deal about vader and very little about troopers other then basics and who was who of the trooper armor world. i then saw a great price on a TE suit and jumped on it. I figured if i am going to have an accurate vader project why not have an accurate trooper to top it off ;)

just need to pack on a few more pounds and i will be a pefect trooper size :D

I first saw the 501st at an event about 2 years ago. Being a huge fan from the class of '77, it was incredibly surreal to suddenly see the troopers and Vader wandering around a theme park. Right there I decided I wanted "in". Its been a long trip via the Rebel Legion and Jedi costumes, but after seeing and working with the troopers at an event for one of our national Deaf and Blind centers, I thought to hell with the comfort factor, I'm going to do it. Yesterday was my first troop, and it was worth the wait.

In the UK Garrison we do the normal sci-fi convention type events, as well as working with charities, childrens hospitals and other institutions. Its events like this that really make it worthwhile. On the 14th December I'll be trooping at the Great Ormond Street Children's hospital Christmas Party in London, and I can't wait.

Two words: Celebration III. I had never been to a Sci-Fi convention before and was blown away in Indy. I felt like I was "in" Star Wars- seeing TK's, Bobas, Vaders walk around. I wanted in! And then to find out that the 501st does charity work- so cool!