Tools needed for untrimmed -> finished?

Grimez

Hey, I am currently waiting for some ATA armor that will be ready later this year. In the mean time I am trying to assemble everything else I will need so I can get right to it when it does get here. What is a comprehensive list of everything I will needed for trimming and assembling the armor from start to finish? Also, some links to any tutorials for trimming and assembling would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I have already ordered some Dave M decals from Trooperbay, and the ATA kit comes with the brow and S trim, lens material, screws, nuts, and washers for the helmet, and some plain white mike tips.

Edited by Grimez

These are the tools I used most.  Your list of tools will grow as you build (clamps, magnets, rivet tools, etc.),  but I'd say these are the necessities to get you started.

1) 2 pairs of Lexan scissors - straight and curved  (craft store or Amazon.com)

2) X-acto blade - aka hobby blade (art supply or variety store)
3) Box cutter blade - aka shop knife (hardward or variety store)

4) Dremel with drill bits, cutting wheel, and sanding drum (hardware store)

5) 18" metal ruler (art/craft store)

6) Tons of sand paper! (rough and fine grit)   

Good luck, and keep reading those build threads! :duim:

I used a Dremel (well a cheaper version) with drill bits, cutting wheel, and sanding drum, saved so much time

I just recently discovered Trooperbay's tutorial and from what i've seen so far (for three parts) all he has used so far is

1) Box cutter

2) X-acto Knife

3) Ruler

4) Zap 'n Gap Glue (I will probably use E6000

5) And Clamps

This has been basically all he has needed to trim and assemble his bracers, biceps, and start on his shoulder bells. He also used a heat gun for the clips for the shoulder bells. He is making a TD instead of a TK though so i'm not sure if there are any differences of note. What is the curing time on E6000 around?

Cure time for E6000 is about 24 hours. This is usually the need for so many clamps and magnets, so multiple pieces can be curing at the same time. It's a longer cure time than some, but it's definitely easier to take pieces back apart and repair if needed.

Yeah, the main thing is in the Trooperbay videos, he's using super glue with an accelerator.  It's highly recommended to use e6000, And like Jim said, that's where you'll need clamps and magnets, in order to keep pieces together for the 24 hour cure time.

The lexan scissors are for pieces that you can't just score and snap with an xacto knife.  They will come in very handy cutting curves around the flashing and for cutting out the helmet pieces.  If you're going to make snap plates with ABS, you'll need the scissors for cutting those plates.

The ruler is for scoring nice straight lines when you're cutting out finishing strips or need to make straight, precise cuts.  Getting a metal ruler lets you bend it to conform to some of the bends in the armor to get a nice consistent line.  I also would tape the ruler to pieces to make sure it didn't move when scoring.

Sandpaper will help to even up edges and any stray nicks you might put into the ABS while cutting.

The dremel is good for some sanding and for drilling holes in the helmet and the armor.  If I had used sandpaper to get some of the detailed removal I did, it would have taken much longer.  Other people use the dremel for sanding and shaping other armor pieces, but I used the scissors, xacto knife, and sandpaper on all the armor.  I will use the dremel to drill holes for the thigh ammo belt, the ab / kidney rivets, and possibly the snaps to keep the belt in place.

Yep, you'll need a canvas belt, a holster,a neck seal, black under suit, white Chelsea style boots, and black rubber gloves.

Make sure to do some research on those items to get the type and style you need.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Just a thought - don't know what tools you have already, but I was having a tough time finding Lexan scissors.  I already had a nice pair of sheet metal shears (tin snips).  I tried them on a scrap piece and it worked like a charm.  My tin snips are almost a foot long and have large openings for your fingers, so I had plenty of leverage and more importantly, control.  I ended up trimming all my armor including the helmet with the tin snips.  Also, I'm pretty sure this is what the guys at AP use to trim kits for customers.

Curved lexan scissors:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002POUU54/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Straight lexan scissors:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006O4Z5G/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Tin snips definitely can power through the ticket parts with ease but you can get in closer with lexan scissors. Just my two cents.

It can be difficult to maneuver straight lexan scissors around curves. What ends up happening ifs you'll get ABS 'burrs' that you need to sand down. The curved scissors will cut cleaner around curves.

1) 2 pairs of Lexan scissors - straight and curved  (craft store or Amazon.com)

2) X-acto blade - aka hobby blade (art supply or variety store)

3) Box cutter blade - aka shop knife (hardward or variety store)

4) Dremel with drill bits, cutting wheel, and sanding drum (hardware store)

5) 18" metal ruler (art/craft store)

6) Tons of sand paper! (rough and fine grit)   

7) clamps (get a bag of them from Lowes/Home Depot)

8) Rare earth magnets

Great advice from everyone here. The quote above is exactly what I have been using, with 1 exception: I only bought the curved Lexan scissors from Amazon. I personally am not a big fan of the score and snap except for the cover strips, so I used the scissors A LOT!. Straight scissors would be good for trimming the long edges of the arm and leg pieces while the curved scissors are good for the opening edges of the arm/leg pieces and parts of the body. But I made out fine using the curved ones for everything.

This was the lexan scissors set I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KN0RQM/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reamer tool is really nice for starting holes in ABS when you're cutting out the teeth in the helmet.

Lowes was pretty uneventful. For the most part all I saw was some box cutters and safety gloves. Likely going to get my things from TrooperBay. Should 8 clamps, 10 rare earth magnets, a tube of E6000, 2 pieces of 60 grit sandpaper, and some frown mesh be enough?

Edit: He also has an 80 piece rotary kit for 25 but I can probably find a drill or something lying around.

Edited by Grimez

If you have a hobby store that sells RC cars you'll find the lexan scissors there. Also a hobby iron if you plan on doing return edges.

Highly recommend the lexan scissors. Will save you a whole lot of sanding edges. 60 grit is good for taking down the initial edge but get some 220, 400, 1200 for the final polish on tricky / sensitive areas like the inside of the forearms and thighs.

I finished gluing my parts together and I'm starting on the strap and snap system. I used one tube of e6000, and I've started a second tube.

Home Depot or Lowe's have a 'bag o' clamps' with several different size plastic clamps for like 10 bucks. I got two bags of those.

Magnets I shopped around on Amazon. If you have a Prime membership, that's the best place to buy most accessories like the magnets and scissors.

Joann Fabrics has tubes of e6000 for 5 bucks.

I got box cutters, an xacto knife, yard metal ruler, 60 and 220 grit sandpaper, and some mini needle nose pliers at lowes yesterday. They didn't have any E6000 and I didn't really like the clamps there. I also saw some tin snips that I saw some people use in lieu of lexan scissors but they seemed really thick so I didn't bother.

Edited by Grimez

I found E6000 at Walmart for less than $4 a tube. Depending on your store its not kept with school supply glue or in hardware. I found it on the sewing section.

Plus 1 for lexan scissors. I tried other scissors which didn't give as much control or clean edge. If I build another set of armor probably could do it on half the time using lexan scissors instead of tin snips (fat/wide) that I had to cut leaving a lot of material to only sand or cut again for final fit.

Keep on learning, I know I still do.

I got e6000, lexan scissors, and clamps off Amazon last night. I also ordered frown mesh, rare earth magnets, paint pack, and paintbrushes from Trooperbay. I have everything I need but a dremel which I am waiting to order until I see if someone I know has one. Other than that I just need the strapping for the armor.