Fort Rucker Alabama Children's Festival - Alabama Garrison

Dark PWF

This is my second troop attended as a handler, but it was the first that I played a very major part in coordinating, and I am very, very proud of the turnout, and how it went.

April is the Month of the Military Child, on our military installations, and I was very surprised when I found out that the Legion was invited to be a part of it. The theme was Superheroes, and the members of the 501st were easily the most popular photo-op there.

Here are some pictures of the events of the day:1932503_744211022267504_2542774597009889571_o.thumb.jpg.722b72406229e5531db569c0986d38ed.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Love the story! I only spent 9 weeks at Ft. Rucker and remember it being hot, so good you guys took breathers. :)

Also, nice to see that OH-58 in the one shot. :)

Love the story! I only spent 9 weeks at Ft. Rucker and remember it being hot, so good you guys took breathers. :)

Also, nice to see that OH-58 in the one shot. :)

I doubt it has changed very much since you were here - at least in terms of weather patterns - but a funny part to the planning stage that didn't get mentioned is that we had the changing tent set up because the Library, where everyone was supposed to be changing (and then transported to the festival grounds - about a mile or so) was closed for an unscheduled HVAC upgrade. After that was announced, we were told we'd be allowed to use a building that was maybe 100 feet from the tent. Well, on Wednesday - just three days before the event - the building was torn down.

Glad that you picked up on the OH-58. I didn't think too many people would, and fewer would know what it was. I'm still surprised that they're removing it from service.

I was a 67V in a prior life, and spent 7 weeks in Ft. Rucker in 1989 for 67V school, then later in mid-90's for safely school (BNCOC was in Ft. Eustis).

I can't believe they are still in service. The tail numbers I worked on were primarily 69-, 70-, and 71- prefixed. Those birds are as old as I am. :-p

Very cool.

I've been a 93C / 15Q (Air Traffic Controller) for the better part of the last 20 years. I was a 31C (Single Channel Radio Operator / SATCOM operator) for my first three years.

Small world, I was a 15T renamed to 67T for about 10 years. I love my collections of lose parts flying in close formation they called the Blackhawk. 

I was getting my warrant packet together before I got injured and was forced to leave the service. Been to Eustis but never made it down to Rucker. Spent the majority of my time at Campbell (dang boomerang badge kept bringing me back).

They're really retiring the little birds  :huh:

Very small world, indeed!  ;)  I love flying in Blackhawks...  Favorite airframe to fly in.

Thank you (both) for your service.

Yes Matt, they are.  That was announced only recently actually.  I want to say it was in 2014 already when they announced it, but it could have been since October, when the Fiscal Year began, too,

Oh.. .While I'm here and thinking about it, here is a photobucket album link for the rest of the pictures that I took while we were out there on Saturday:

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/DarkCMF/library/Facebook/The%20501st%20Legion%20at%20the%20Fort%20Rucker%20Childrens%20Fes