Split rivet placement

Or you can buy them from Echo here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/

And btw, the rivets used for the ammo pack on the thigh aren't split rivets but CAP rivets with a 7mm head.

Hi.  I'm currently building my TK from AP.  I'm trying to locate the 8mm solid-head rivets needed for the ab and kidneys (as well as securing the ammo pack on the right thigh), but I've been having no luck.   Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would comment on this one.   I live in Cleveland, OH.  I've looked at Lowes, Home Depot, Joann Fabrics, and Michaels. Joann Fabrics and Michaels are good source for snaps, but no rivets.  Lowes and Home Depot only have the rivets that are installed with a mandril that snaps off and leave a hole in the center of the head.  Can someone please steer me in the right direction to find rivets with a solid head?  If you have a manufacturer and part #, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Edit: Tim beat me on that one :P

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 2

Or you can buy them from Echo here:

Edit: Tim beat me on that one :P

LoL...  It took me a minute to see the last line, so I was really confused about whether I had posted the right link.  ;)

• Like 1

If you have never installed split rivets before, take caution. There is a wedge tool that separates the legs for you but if you don't have one, you will need to bend them outward. I have always used a large screwdriver. I make sure to use straight downward pressure with the rivet head against a hard surface with solid downward pressure, you can then bend the tabs sideways just enough to then hammer them flat.

Too much side pressure and twisting could crack your armor.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a quick question regarding placement - I have a contractor background so say in "10mm from the edge" doesn't tell me the whole picture - are the rivets placed 10mm from the edge on center ( meaning is it the center of the rivet that is 10mm from the edge)? Or is the edge of the rivet 10mm from the edge ( meaning the center of the rivet would be 14mm from the edge for a 8mm diameter rivet)?

I have up to now just chosen to split this difference, but seeing as I am now helping some others build their armor, I would like to be spot-on

Thank you:)

• Like 2

Here is a quick question regarding placement - I have a contractor background so say in "10mm from the edge" doesn't tell me the whole picture - are the rivets placed 10mm from the edge on center ( meaning is it the center of the rivet that is 10mm from the edge)? Or is the edge of the rivet 10mm from the edge ( meaning the center of the rivet would be 14mm from the edge for a 8mm diameter rivet)?

I have up to now just chosen to split this difference, but seeing as I am now helping some others build their armor, I would like to be spot-on

Thank you:)

You can put the hole the rivet goes through at 10 mm in from the side.

I think Jared is asking whether the 10mm is to the edge of the hole, or to the centre of the hole. 

Jared, I couldn't find a definitive answer either when I did mine. I just eyeballed it. First off, I did a 10mm centre but it visually looked too close, so I just pushed it in a little. This shot of the RS suit shows placement. Unfortunately, no tape measure on it :)

Edit - Hmm, pic didn't copy across. Oh well, check out the photo reference gallery

Edited by Sith Lord

IMHO that's too specific to matter in the slightest. I can see how that might be irritating to those inclined towards meticulous detail, but everyone needs to realize that most of our measurements are mere approximations and that no two suits are identical.

• Like 2

One day you'll learn the ways of the Force too  ^_^

Haha, it's called trying to drive a new Mac.

IMHO that's too specific to matter in the slightest. I can see how that might be irritating to those inclined towards meticulous detail, but everyone needs to realize that most of our measurements are mere approximations and that no two suits are identical.

Exactly, hence my reply about eyeballing it. As long as it looks in proportion no one will throw you over the coals about it.

• Like 1

I'm glad I found this...  I'm also glad that things, while are specific, are also not EXACTLY specific !   Grin...  Yes Yes I know, but I undertand (I hope) and that is really gonna help me not freak out so much and get me to trooping sonner...

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend buying a few extra of any rivets (split or cap) that you plan to use, and try a few practice ones on spare ABS. I broke two split rivets before I got the hang of installing them. For the price, if you haven't used them before, get a few extra of each.

Oh man, this is a great thread for a noob like me. Looking at going hard on building in the next couple of weeks - once my ever growing list of material is filled out - and I am definalty going to use this as a reference when it comes to the placement. This is to be used for both the kidney plate and abdomen plate correct?

gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg

What about this rivet? Is there a measurement for it's location? Or does it use the 10mm rule?

I'll take it that you are talking about the TOP SNAP

I just went thru the same quest to find the answer.

From what I gathered ... go 10mm off of the edge of the ab plate and eyeball the distance from the top

I'll take it that you are talking about the TOP SNAP

I just went thru the same quest to find the answer.

From what I gathered ... go 10mm off of the edge of the ab plate and eyeball the distance from the top

Ya forgot to mention the top one lol.

Sounds good I'll add that to my notes. Going to start a build thread soon once I am ready to start this process.

Thanks for help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree !! With all of you ! I just arrived to this part of my build and these posts are the most helpful , so thank you . The only difference is that I am using a regular rivet , not a blind rivet , I figure bangong in a blind will be nothing but a pain and I can always fill a regular alloy rivet , Im painting them after all . Although I do like the 10mm spacing from the edge a bit more for the AP armor , it looks a bit more spaced out .ps........ Anaheim is about 1 week away !!!

• 1 month later...

Rivet placement is giving me a headache :(     If I'm correct, I see 6 rivets on the left side (3 ab + 3 kidney).  But the right side pics usually show a single snap-like piece at the top of the ab plate.  Am I right?

Stephane, you are correct. There are 6 rivets are on the left side (3 ab + 3 kidney). On the right, as you  see in the picture above, is a male snap.  This was used to close the "clamshell".

So... that "clamshell" male snap, is that merely decoration now? You still use use snaps from the interior, right?

Yes.

You use it to open and close the clam shell. The left side is, if built accurately, permanently joined together by elastics attached tot he three rivets.

• Like 1

Yes.

You use it to open and close the clam shell. The left side is, if built accurately, permanently joined together by elastics attached tot he three rivets.

I'll be doing that this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks. Tomorrow, I'll pick up my "brown box" at AP's. So i'm getting nervous about assembly. Quite nervous :s

Stéphane

Everyone's nervous their first time ;):)   You're off to a good start by asking questions! You'll do fine! :duim: