Split rivet placement

Forgive me if a diagram like this has been posted already, but I can't seem to find one. Also I am at work, so I apologize for the crude picture. I am trying to make sure I get the placement correct on my split rivets before I put them in.

hPT1n2Y.jpg

My understanding from various Centurion and EIB builds is the the rivets should be 10 mm from the edge and evenly spaced. Are there any guidelines beyond that, such as how faw to place them from the top and bottom edge ("A" and "D" above). Should that also be 10 mm? I assume naturally that "BB and "C" above should be equal, but is there any specified distance? Or does that depend on the kit being built? If this has been specifically answered before, you can just smack me and point me to the post. I could not find it by using the search function.

As always, thanks in advance!

• Like 2

I would also advise to set the abdominal rivets first. Because of the cod piece which ends along the abdominal section and where there's no rivet, it creates a shift on the kydney's rivets at the bottom.

Edited by The5thHorseman

I agree with Germain on this, ab plate first!

That being said, if there is a mess up with the positioning of the lower rivets, it's not problem, because they are hidden by the belt  :smiley-sw013:

I would also advise to set the abdominal rivets first. Indeed, because of the cod piece which ends along the abdominal plate and where there's no rivet, it creates a shift on the kydney's rivets at the bottom.

It actually took me a bit to understand what you mean - am I right now? The below pic seems to be a good example. If you measured up from the bottom of the kidney, your rivet would have ended up on the cod, not the ab. Is that what you mean? So by evenly spacing it on the ab, the lower rivet actually ends up higher on the kidney.

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

Yes that's exactly what i mean! And sorry for my english i kind of struggle with words today  :mellow:

It actually took me a bit to understand what you mean - am I right now? The below pic seems to be a good example. If you measured up from the bottom of the kidney, your rivet would have ended up on the cod, not the ab. Is that what you mean? So by evenly spacing it on the ab, the lower rivet actually ends up higher on the kidney.

Thanks - I say this as I think it will become more important as more people want to go EI/Centurion and need a simple, easy to understand guide of what is acceptable and what is not.

As a rule of thumb, I go 15mm from the top of the ab plate to 15mm up from the bottom and split the difference. The overall distance is usually 114mm from the top rivet to the bottom, with the middle being 57mm. On TM and original ANH armour, there is a line scribed into the ab plate where the rivets should be placed. This line is approximately 10mm in from the edge of the armour. Offer up your kidney plate and mark out the adjacent rivets. Job done :)

• Like 2

The problem is that the sketch from Bill (DroidHunter) in the first post is wrong. So sticking it would be "dangerous" in case people would stop at the first picture they find.

First post image modified, but set up the same way as the original image so as to maintain the context of my original question. Does this work better Germain?

Seems to me like with the updated diagram and the additional comments we have good enough information in here to warrant a pinning.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Basically, just a screwdriver to spread the legs of the rivet, and then a hammer to flaten them.

I'm a noob, so keep that in mind.  How do you install split rivets?  I've looked through the tutorials and didn't see a step by step on how to do it.  What tools are needed?

Edit: Maybe this wil help you

galler10.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.  I'm currently building my TK from AP.  I'm trying to locate the 8mm solid-head rivets needed for the ab and kidneys (as well as securing the ammo pack on the right thigh), but I've been having no luck.   Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would comment on this one.   I live in Cleveland, OH.  I've looked at Lowes, Home Depot, Joann Fabrics, and Michaels. Joann Fabrics and Michaels are good source for snaps, but no rivets.  Lowes and Home Depot only have the rivets that are installed with a mandril that snaps off and leave a hole in the center of the head.  Can someone please steer me in the right direction to find rivets with a solid head?  If you have a manufacturer and part #, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Hey there Scott... 

I'll do you one better than manufacture info, etc.  You've got to go no farther than FISD's for sale section:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/

Edited by Dark CMF