I got armor..now what

Did some reading and purchased AP armor.   Havent received it yet, but don't know what else Im gonna need other than new Hovi mikes.   Oh and shoes...of course my size is out of stock at tkboots...any other suggestions to make my build easier and more fun...

Absorb information until your kit arrives. Read up on build threads to get a feel for how it should be done. I found Trooperbay's youtube videos to be extremely helpful.

Maybe pick up a blaster kit to put together while you wait. I would think the next best (budget) alternative to TKBoots would be a pair of Bass Amsterdams from Amazon. You'll have to treat them with Acetone and dye 'em white though. 

You might also want to pick up a Dremel rotary tool if you don't have one. It makes it easier in some spots where it might be awkward to try and trim with a razor blade.

Edited by SolidScrafty

I agree with Mike...STUDY! Start getting your ducks in a row as there is plenty to do before your armor ships. Start collecting supplies and tools as well as accessories like a holster, belt, under suit, gloves, blaster, etc. Good luck!!! :smiley-sw013:

RESEARCH, it's the main part of any costume, read, read then when you think you know it all read again. Good luck with the build, hope your armor arrives soon

I'm in the same boat with you; you're ahead of me financial wise with purchasing your suit. I'm still in the saving money process, but getting closer and should be able to pay my complete balance off by June and should have it in August. But then comes trimming, possible sanding, fitting and adjusting. If you went with AP like I have, I went with the 'whole package'. I included the Blaster Holster and gloves/ helmet and the trimming. I got my under suit (nylon/polyester mix) pants/shirt from Walmart. TK Boots were out of my size, but he gave me a contact in CA who needed a size 8 and I needed a size 9; which I bought from that guy (and made a FB friend!). My Blaster I got from Amazon and mods from doopy doos. For the abdomen buttons (decals) ear detail, neck seal, and garment belt I went to Trooperbay. Then comes the waiting game to be accepted and start trooping.

Appreciate all the info...I have been doing a lot of reading and re reading...cant afford to make $$ mistakes.  Looking forward to its arrival and im sure Ill have more questions and comments as the build goes.   Good luck to you as well Allen8...it will be an adventure for both of us

Jeff, I'll tell you that I did all the research and reading ahead of time I could, but until I had the armor in front of me and a pair of scissors in my hands, I really didn't know what I was looking at or what to do.

I find that as I'm working on a piece, that's when I really can start researching and looking at photos and builds to see how to proceed.

Just never be afraid to ask questions.  Even if you think the question was probably asked 1000 times before.  It doesn't hurt to be sure of what you're doing and get some confirmation that you should or shouldn't do something.  At the end of the day, you're the one looking at your armor project sitting in your garage or on your workbench.  You have to put it together.  And you have to wear it.  :) 

Can't wait to join you in that line of thinking. LoL

My kit should be ready for shipping in May sometime. Just around the corner!

• 3 weeks later...

Im so happy this forum exists. Im going to start saving $$ after July (I'm moving to cali from chicago) and I've already started watching videos and reading posts. Ill have to admit that im already a little nervous about the whole build, but it makes me feel a lot better to have everyone around to help answer all my question that I know I'll have

did anyone mention anything about research and reading build threads? ;)

Hell yeah they have. Im still going to ask though. I dont want to mess anything up. Its not like I have extra cash just laying around

No one does, Ryan. I kid about that last post because it was already mentioned, but I am also dead serious. Knowing your approach takes the worry out of it. Reading others approaches gives you a plan and could save you from a sad and possibly costly mistake. The only dumb question is one not asked.