Cool find at Radio Shack.

Thought I would post an update on my experience with this kit. It is awesome! I pretty much set it up like Darth Ramsey with a different set of head phones. Mine came from a motor cycle helmet kit. It really helps being able to hear your surroundings while you have your bucket on. The kit was pretty simple to assemble. I highly recommend it.

Thanks Darth Ramsey for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In case anyone is interested, they are $9 right now. Just tell them to match the online price.

Side note, the one i found comes in a clear box, in case you're just looking for the little cricket image.

• 3 weeks later...

I mounted my mics in the smallest teeth in the frown, one on each side. It's great when people are talking to your face, it really projects their voice. It is crazy to be able to hear in all those directions, I call it my superman hearing.

@ukswrath: sounds simple, could you post some pictures of your installed mics? Would be great! :)

The kit doesn't come with mics, does it???

Thanks guys!

Pics and assembly, here ya go.

NOTE: edited 12/19/14 @ 10:40am (Added more pics)

Start with the assembled mics. NOTE: I'm assuming your newly assembled hearing assist device is working properly before proceeding.

IMG_2391.jpg

Remove ears, or not if yours are glued, either way you can still do this. If they're glued on you'll just need to make sure you get all the plastic shavings out from the drilling so the shavings don't rattle around your mics. Note the position of the ear rank stripes (bumps) and mark your helmet directly behind them.

IMG_2465.jpg

I installed some body (masking) tape in case the drill bit slips or during gluing, just my preference. Using a drill slightly larger than the mic size, drill a hole in the helmet where you'll position the mics. Clean off any burrs. 

IMG_2373.jpg

Install and hot glue mics in place so that the wiring side of the mic is flush with the inside of the helmet. There should be plenty of room between the tip of the mic and the ear bumps. 

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Once glue has cooled, fold over wiring inside helmet and hot glue generously. This will keep the wiring secure and free from damage.

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

I Installed some electrical tape over the area just as a added precaution.

IMG_2444.jpg

The next step/s are a matter of preference. You can either reinstall the ears as is and get about 75% audio increase, or do what I did and drill 3 tiny holes along the ridge of the ear bump where you'll position the black rank stripe. 

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Paint your ear stripe black, or if your ear strip was already painted take a black sharpie and force it into the holes. This will blacken the white that is now showing from the drilling.

IMG_2459.jpg

Reinstall your ears. 

IMG_2463.jpg

Mount your circuit board....

IMG_2450.jpg

and you're ready to go.

IMG_2465.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

I got mine all built.  I just need to figure out how to extend the mics out without picking up interference/noise/distortion.

I don't get any distortion with the setup I use.

• Like 1

It might be the wire I'm using.  I need to try something with some shielding.

It's also location. At first I tried as others have suggested, positioning the mics near the frown, but I was getting too much distortion and feed back even at lower volume levels. Positioning them behind the ears pretty much eliminated most of my problems.

Edited by ukswrath

• 2 months later...

Hey Walter, 22 GA speaker or equivalent. Here's some on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Ft-22-GA-Gauge-Red-Black-Stranded-2-Conductor-Speaker-Wire-Car-Home-Audio-/161115029101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2583343e6d

24 ga is too thin and tends to break easy. Whatever you use be sure to secure it to the helmet.

Edited by ukswrath

• 1 year later...

I just bought this from Radio Shack.  It is a Radio Shack brand now and it is called, "BUILD IT-Super Stereo Ear" cat # 2770355.   The guy looked up the orig number from the first post and said it had been replaced with this.  Doesn't look too hard.  My request is that someone take pics or draw all wiring connections from mics to board, and from board to earphones/ear buds, whatever you use. I love all the tutorials but I am a visual person and I don't want to mess this up. First bucket and all.  Thanks in advance.

I just got it all soldered and it doesn't work. Not even the LED. I followed the instructions exactly and nothing. Gonna take it back to radio shack and see if they can trouble shoot it or replace it.

I just got it all soldered and it doesn't work. Not even the LED. I followed the instructions exactly and nothing. Gonna take it back to radio shack and see if they can trouble shoot it or replace it.

I've built about 200+ of these, 1 being bad. Recheck all your soldier points

Being a super green novice at circuit boards, to re check them I make sure I have enough solder but not too much, make sure nothing's touching? I'm thinking of taking it all apart, cleaning all solder off and starting over. Any tips on either plan?