DroidHunter's ATA armor build

Time to get this project running. As some of you know, my kit actually arrived back in the fall and I started up what turned out to be a lengthy, picture laden thread about my helmet build. I then had to take some time away for a variety of personal reasons. But its now time to pick up with my armor build. This will be slow, but I plan to finish during the calendar year. Wish I could crank it out like many of you have, but I just can't right now. Anyway, the obligatory brown box kickoff:

20130913_062648-1_zps3cfe204c.jpg

Here's a couple shot of my finished bucket, inside and out:

20140313_193900_zpsnli1p0vo.jpg20140313_193944_zpsewqiwacv.jpg

20140313_194016_zps5c1ihlt7.jpg20131011_110629_zps91df4c1b.jpg

I've also accumulated quite a few of the necessary extras:

TK boots

compression gear

black rubber gloves

neck seal (ordered)

canvas belt (ordered)

holster (ordered)

microphone and speaker (modified the cheap Radio Shack unit to go with headset I had)

Hasbro modified E-11 (needs to be fixed up a bit)

And now... on to the armor. I started doing some basic trimming of the chest, then attacked the shins. The ATA recommended cover strip sizes of 7/8 inch in the front and 1 inch in the back worked for me. Measured it about 8 times before I finally cut them down. I still need to clean them up with my Dremel, but they are cut to size. The darned left shin is tight going over the boot (as so many others have said is true of the ATA kit.) Feels good to be underway again. After I clean up the shins, I'll move on to the thighs.

20140313_193315_zpsdbyxvdnk.jpg

I was going to ask about the non-alignment of the front of the right shin (left side above) but after looking at quite a few EIB and Centurion builds, that seems common as well. Am I correct?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For comfort (i.e. not poking you in the ankle) I'd trim em to line them up.  As far as them not being symmetrical - yes, that's common.

Coming along nicely, I had the same problem with mine, I tried to match them up, keep up the good work

Edited by gmrhodes13

Thanks my friends. I cleaned up the shins last night and I'm ready to start gluing the inner shims.

Question:  I know a lot of guys are using the hooks to secure the backs of the shins, but is white Velcro still acceptable, provided the outer calf piece cover strip closes over the inner piece?

Although the CRL's don't mention either way, I'd be doing the hook method if you're aiming for EIB or Centurion. It's how it was done in the movies. However if you're just after basic approval, anything goes.

Just about done with the shins. Like I said....slow.  :)

The sniper plate gave me some fits. I studied, reviewed builds, look at the gallery pics, etc. Here you can see that they aligned with the ridge quite well. BUT, even though the center is attached as well, to get the sides to align meant having a gap on the underside. Looking at the pic of Han sitting with his feet up I think this is normal. Am I correct? Most build/reference pics don't show that angle.

20140322_115126_zpsuirkpssa.jpg

20140322_115244_zpsijhsrf2f.jpg

20140322_115304_zpsbf3iozxy.jpg

20140322_115322_zpsx822umyf.jpg

Working on the thighs and trying to decide how much to trim down the cover strip in the back. I always thought I had skinny legs, but its starting to feel like I should leave the back at 1 1/4 inches. That will at least visually keep them almost consistent with the backs of the shins, while leaving me a little more wiggle room.

20140325_061645_zpsz7ugvyhr.jpg

20140325_061728_zpsh8wjqwta.jpg

You can barely see the pencil lines on the backs which would be the 7/8 inch cover strip marks.

Go hooks!! You've spent so much time and energy making this build perfect don't cheapen it with Velcro.. Plus coming from an ex Velcro user it's gonna get messy and your going to have to replace Velcro every couple of troops.. And don't stress the sniper plate mine has the same gap and from what I've noticed a majority of the rest of the troopers do to..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working on the thighs and trying to decide how much to trim down the cover strip in the back. I always thought I had skinny legs, but its starting to feel like I should leave the back at 1 1/4 inches. That will at least visually keep them almost consistent with the backs of the shins, while leaving me a little more wiggle room.

20140325_061728_zpsh8wjqwta.jpg

You can barely see the pencil lines on the backs which would be the 7/8 inch cover strip marks.

Those pencil lines look to be about half the width of your thumbnail. 7/8 = 22mm. That's one huge thumb you have there. It looks more like 10mm to me. Are you sure your measurements are right?

I don't think I was being clear. The distance from the ridge of the flat area to the pencil line is 7/16 inch. from the line then to the edge is about another 1/4 inch. Ideally, I'd cut the rest of the 1/4 inch off leaving 7/16 on each piece = 7/8 inch or 22mm. But by leaving the area from the pencil line to the cut edge in place for a bigger thigh, it ends up around 1 1/4 inches total. 

9c97ed9f-5c01-4021-baab-4661465223b2_zps

Gotcha. 7/8s would be perfect I think. All the recommendations I've seen suggest 20-25mm. So if that works for your size, fit and comfort and matches your calves, then you're sweet.

Is it normal for one thigh to be longer than the other? After initial trimming, my right ATA thigh is almost an inch longer than my left. It might actually get in the way of the abdomen/crotch. Is this normally trimmed to match?

20140329_085239_zpsxdcjaxt4.jpg

All TE derived armors have one thigh bigger than the other, your thighs are perfectly fine the reason being is the armor it was cast off of had the left thighs notch trimmed off so making it a little under an inch shorter.

The more I look at my ATA thigh pieces, it looks like I'm going to have to leave the ridges in the back at about 1 1/4 inches instead of the preferred 7/8 inch. I have thin legs, but this kit definitely runs on the thin side. Anyway, which is the preferred way to handle this: (1) Cut cover strips that are the same width (i.e. 1 1/4 inches) so that the ridge is covered the same as with the calves; or (2) Stick with 7/8 inch cover strips and allow the ridge to show on both sides? I've seen advice both ways.

I've been working on the thighs and forearms at the same time so I'll post some new progress pics soon.

Which reminds me, is there a distinction between the left and right forearm? Shins and thighs are easy to distinguish but I'm not certain for the forearms.

Edited by DroidHunter

Keep the cover strips 7/8 inches (about 25mm). Wider cover strips are only allowed to cover a gap between the two halves. And in your case, the flat sections showing shouldn't be that wide.

About the arms:

4700035679_ca8c5e0b29.jpg

Keep the cover strips 7/8 inches (about 25mm). Wider cover strips are only allowed to cover a gap between the two halves.

No, there won't be any gap between the two sides. They will close. But I'm leaving the flat section at 1 1/4 inches for fit overall. So I put a 7/8 inch cover strip over the 1 1/4 inch flat section in the back, correct? I appreciate all the help Germain.

I know I saw that picture before in my 'studies' but I never would have remembered it!

Edited by DroidHunter

Yep, that's it, 7/8 inch cover strip over a 1 1/4 flat section.

The look is good, you can check the RampantLion's Centurion submisson for an overview of what it will look like. It's only noticeable on close-up:

1925061_10152723834730031_1019512853_n.j

Great! As it were, I may not need to go that big. With the front finally secure, I taped the back and tried on the left thigh. I have more room than I thought. I can slide my hand in along the side and when I push from the back, you can see the gap (sorry for the blurry pictures in a dirty mirror). I think I may actually trim them down closer to an inch.

IMG_20140401_055804_zps2lqsae9n.jpgIMG_20140401_055843_zpsn2becgsa.jpg

I'll get some new pics up soon. I'm finishing up the forearms, I have the fronts of both thighs done, and started on the biceps.

What do most troopers do as far as return edges on the bicpes? In this pic from the tutorial section, it looks like edges have been preserved, but in most recent builds, it looks like the opposite is true....

4700035679_ca8c5e0b29.jpg

You don't really need a return edge at the top as it will be covered by the shoulder bell. Just keep a little one at the indent.

And keep it minimal at the bottom, it will help preventing pinches.

med_gallery_12157_59_55366.jpg med_gallery_12157_59_55194.jpg