Full resin E-11 from DoopyDoo's with some modifications

T-Jay

Update #19     - now 95% complete

Some issues were still open from the last update. Three have now been done:

- other black paint on T-tracks

- new magazine from gazmosis :duim:

- weathering with real rust

Chose Tamiya XF-1 to give the T-tracks a slightly different appearance, but this got very minor. As you can see, it was not worth the money or the time to do this...

14115907613_96127586e3_b.jpg

Then Steve's magazine arrived and I have to say, this is a very fine piece of art! :jc_doublethumbup:

13909226828_1259f02ed3_b.jpg

Thought about hollowing out the port so that it could be inserted in full size, but I felt this to be too risky on an already mounted and painted part. So I just cut it off.

14092607721_86656995cc_b.jpg

Some comparison shots. Due to the earlier done enlargement of my old magazine, the new one matched perfectly.

14095818015_33c9988514_b.jpg

13909187087_ac44d7503e_b.jpg

Added silver paint, wax masking, flat black and weathering.

14096266034_596e4d9dbf_b.jpg

Then I took some little chunks of real rust and crumbled them down to fine rust powder. A little bit of Humbrol's brown 113 got added in some places and while the paint was still drying, the rust powder got brushed onto the colour.

14096265374_50a57a7bea_b.jpg

Outdoor pictures with the new magazine and some of the rust weathering:

14092605331_913899b84e_b.jpg

14072717176_e8f3d046f9_b.jpg

13909222698_79d92f4987_b.jpg

14092603581_f9cb64ef1c_b.jpg

Had fun to upload some news again :D. What do you think about the real rust?

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 1

Tino, if I were building a TD, I'd be out searching for rusting metal in order to harvest some for my paint job. Very nice effect!!

Blaster looks even better than before, but it should, you made improvements to it and that's the whole point of improvements, right? ;)

Great job my friend!

how about putting a video in this thread of you shooting that bad boy!

I've got video, but hesitate to post illegal activities, lest the ATF "stormtroops" my house and seizes all my hard work.  Maybe once I've got it permanently deactivated...  I was only like 2% from being fully functional and couldn't bear the thought of deactivating without trying it first.

Tino,

STELLAR work!!!  Possibly the first beneficial use of rust I've ever seen.

With your paint skills, I'm convinced your E-11 looks more realistic than mine will when it's done!

Your presentation in this thread is SO CLEAN, I have an odd feeling like I'm at a hospital while I'm reading it...

Hey, thank you all for your latest comments. Wow, some of you had answered really fast.

@ Steve (gazmosis): no, no, no - my paint job on that magazine is simple. The really "mind blowing" work was done by yourself on your magazine. That really looks like steel!!! :duim:

@ Germain (The5thHorseman): to be honest, I was not aware that somebody else had shown something like this before. But that nice little jar of pigments would have saved me a lot of dirt to get the same result.

Correct, the missing 5% are the power cylinders, white letters in the scope and the front sight pin. That'll take some time...

@ Tim (Dark CMF): yes, the only problem is: I am not sure, if the improvement with the rust makes it more screen accurate. Don't think so, but it definitely makes it more realistic when holding it in hands and viewing on close distance :)

@ Brian (TrainWreck): the variable use of rust powder provided the option to give some different appearances. For example: the new magazine was weathered only with the Humbrol 113 (dry brushed).

A bit of the powder was used at the rear sight, the magazine port and the pistol grip. And even more rust powder got used in the hollows of the end cap. So not all rust spots look the same and that was my intention.

@ Ian (Sith Lord): thanks man. Yes I can definitely recommend to Steve's magazine! Go for it! You've seen the great difference in my comparison shots. Its just so much better...

@ Aaron (usaeatt2): man, you're scaring me!  :)  You'll have to show us that video - otherwise it didn't happen... :laugh1:

Regarding this thread: just trying to keep the appearance of my updates in the familiar optic, that's all. Thanks for paying attention to this detail ;)

Edited by T-Jay

You're fully correct about the screen accurate vs realism, but personally, since a weapon is not a requirement for approval, I'm on the side of realism, to support the realism of the Stormtrooper in the room. ;). Either way, that blaster, sitting in the mannequin's hands will be fully impressive. It looks great!

Yeah, thanks guys. Makes me not want to do one now. I'll be too embarrassed to post pics!

Welcome to my world, have you seen my thread?! (threat? lol). Amateur to these dudes, but I still put all my f ups and ugliness up there anyways. If anything, to help others not do the same ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Update #20     - it's been a while...

...and I felt like doing an update again after reading your last comments. Thanks for these kind words, guys! As stated the last time, the missing work is: white letters in the scope, front sight and power cylinders. To be honest: I totally underestimated the last two of them and have to correct the completeness of the last update to something about 80% :mellow:. However, my son (unknowingly) helped me with a little piece of white crayon for the scope letters. If he knew what it has been used for, he would go crazy (yes, he is a big Star Wars fan :D). The letters aren't filled 100% to make it look a bit old and used.

14104380127_094e785104_b.jpg

When I started work on the front sight (months ago) the "pin holder" and "protection cover" got separated as seen in a reference picture. A pin was made with the Dremel from aluminum and later got slightly reshaped. Isn't it strange to see bright resin again at this stage of the build?!

14287586601_766cc1cb39_b.jpg

14288945732_80e95c93b4_b.jpg

Then I noticed it was a big mistake not to frequently check the reference pictures, because I had removed too much resin and now it was totally wrong! As the main build had to continue, I decided to move on just with the protection cover and to later add the missing pin (after I found a way to correct this error). A thin layer of "green stuff" was used to bring some pattern from a small file onto the protection cover. This was already visible since update #13 (page 5) but got partially covered by the paint layers.

14267797606_99d84c2037_b.jpg

Now the "pin holder" needed intense corrections. Some kind of adaption piece is placed on the round receiver barrel. A rectangular block sits on top of it, to receive the pin. I saw no other chance than to add "green stuff" again to bring it in shape step by step...

14290502924_15f562abfa_b.jpg

14104276798_925dcb8229_b.jpg

On the right side (left on my picture) there is a small grub screw, which obviously makes the pin replaceable. Found one which fitted good and installed it. Looks real but its very short, so it doesn't reach the pin.

14289042022_fc2bdf6012_b.jpg

IMHO the front sight should look something like this, but that doesn't seem to be the common opinion, as in most builds the front sight is left in one piece. Has this ever been done before?

14311111883_7c39b093b0_b.jpg

Then I filled the little center gap on the barrel, removed a bit of the paint (for better adhesion) and glued the parts together. The last picture clearly shows there are two separate parts, the side slots, the screw and the pin.

14104294550_e3758cebd3_b.jpg

14288943762_1ee13538ca_b.jpg

During the last weeks I managed to find more accurate hex screws for the muzzle and replaced the existing M6 with real 1/4"-20. The new ones remained in original length.

14104417148_4c26092f6e_b.jpg

Alright, that's it for today already. Now I have to start this tricky power cylinder issue - and I already did some mistakes on the resin part  :rolleyes:. Next update (hopefully this year) will show, if and how I solved these...  As always, please feel free to leave comments / critics.

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 1

BRILLIANCE!!!  That looks ridiculously better!  And the green stuff hatching with a file handle is GENIUS.  Nice modification, Tino!

I've always been curious which way is correct for the sight pin slope - seems like I've seen them both ways...and the search for details has yielded answers.

The front sight block is a tension fit into a receiver dovetail:

259A14A9-C0C5-4082-9F09-488D5CD61CF9_zps

The sight block (which you did a tremendous job creating from scratch):

CB1115EF-CF8D-4189-94C5-6A3047CAAAD9_zps

And the answer to my question - the sight pin and grub/set screw.  See how the sight pin has a groove cut on the side and the set screw comes to a point?  The point fits into the groove and holds the sight pin in the correct orientation.  When assembled correctly, the slope can only run towards the muzzle.

2FFCC053-65A8-4379-92A0-C75508EE7E43_zps

Sight block partially assembled.  The sight pin screws down into the sight block much further.

EB0945AF-6E53-46CD-AE4B-722D6AE90FFE_zps

Fully assembled in the receiver:

7F4D0882-15F8-4F75-A124-A4E6E7FB0C8C_zps

Sorry for pirating your thread, but I wanted to share the discovery!

Even without the dovetail, your modification looks dead-on AWESOME!  Great work!

Edited by usaeatt2

Awesome work Tino. Add this modification to my spreadsheet of 'Things to Do'.

Aaron - If you looked at the sight/dovetail section from end on, if you could see it without the upper bended section on the receiver - would the dovetail section be visible at all? From your side on pic, only the top rectangular block sits above the line of the receiver, but does the dovetail protrude out left/right. 

Hope I could get that question down with a little bit of sense...

Tino,

Looking good, brother! I haven't seen that done with the front sight before, but looking at it, I'd say that it looks quite legitimate to me!

Well done. Can't wait to see the final project.

Aaron - If you looked at the sight/dovetail section from end on, if you could see it without the upper bended section on the receiver - would the dovetail section be visible at all? From your side on pic, only the top rectangular block sits above the line of the receiver, but does the dovetail protrude out left/right.

The sight block is shorter than the dovetail - it does not protrude from either side.  This allows side-to-side adjustment of the sight, if needed.

The dovetail is 3/8" wide, 1" long and 3/16" deep (at the centerline of the receiver).

The sight block is 3/8" wide, 3/4" long and 3/8" tall.  Each "step" of the block is 3/16" tall.

That leaves 1/8" clearance on either side of the sight block - in other words, you can see 1/8" of the bottom of the dovetail on each side of the sight block.

Really tough to get a good picture since the sight guard is in the way...

You can see one side in the picture below.  The other side looks exactly the same, except no set screw.

I hope that all  makes sense...

0B9CC838-7587-4D8C-8402-1D230EBC8066_zps

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

Update #20     - it’s been a while…

…and I felt like doing an update again after reading your last comments. Thanks for these kind words, guys!

As stated the last time, the missing work is: white letters in the scope, front sight and power cylinders. To be honest: I totally underestimated the last two of them and have to correct the completeness of the last update to something about 80% :mellow:.

However, my son (unknowingly) helped me with a little piece of white crayon for the scope letters.

If he knew what it has been used for, he would go crazy (yes, he is a big Star Wars fan :D). The letters aren’t filled 100% to make it look a bit old and used.

14104380127_094e785104_b.jpg

When I started work on the front sight (months ago) the ‘pin holder’ and ‘protection cover’ got separated as seen in a reference picture.

A pin was made with the Dremel from aluminum and later got slightly reshaped. Isn’t it strange to see bright resin again at this stage of the build?!

14287586601_766cc1cb39_b.jpg

14288945732_80e95c93b4_b.jpg

Then I noticed it was a big mistake not to frequently check the reference pictures, because I had removed too much resin and now it was totally wrong!

As the main build had to continue, I decided to move on just with the protection cover and to later add the missing pin (after I found a way to correct this error).

A thin layer of ‘green stuff’ was used to bring some pattern from a small file onto the protection cover. This was already visible since update #13 (page 5) but got partially covered by the paint layers.

14267797606_99d84c2037_b.jpg

Now the ‘pin holder’ needed intense corrections. Some kind of adaption piece is placed on the round receiver barrel. A rectangular block sits on top of it, to receive the pin.

I saw no other chance than to add ‘green stuff’ again to bring it in shape step by step…

14290502924_15f562abfa_b.jpg

14104276798_925dcb8229_b.jpg

On the right side (left on my picture) there is a small grub screw, which obviously makes the pin replaceable. Found one which fitted good and installed it. Looks real but its very short, so it doesn’t reach the pin.

14289042022_fc2bdf6012_b.jpg

IMHO the front sight should look something like this, but that doesn’t seem to be the common opinion, as in most builds the front sight is left in one piece. Has this ever been done before?

14311111883_7c39b093b0_b.jpg

Then I filled the little center gap on the barrel, removed a bit of the paint (for better adhesion) and glued the parts together.

The last picture clearly shows there are two separate parts, the side slots, the screw and the pin.

14104294550_e3758cebd3_b.jpg

14288943762_1ee13538ca_b.jpg

During the last weeks I managed to find more accurate hex screws for the muzzle and replaced the existing M6 with real 1/4"-20. The new ones remained in original size.

14104417148_4c26092f6e_b.jpg

Alright, that’s it for today already.

Now I have to start this tricky power cylinder issue – and I already did some mistakes on the resin part  :rolleyes:. Next update (hopefully this year) will show, if and how I solved these…

As always, please feel free to leave comments / critics.

Awesome man...just awesome...great attention to the details....really great. Now my E-11 is a booger against yours :blink::P:D

@ Steve (gazmosis): Thanks man. Just wanted to stay as close to the original as possible :).

@ Brian (TrainWreck): Thank you. Saw no other way to bring that pattern onto this small surface. But I recommend to cover it with only one layer of spray paint. In my case the pattern almost got lost under the multiple layers.

@ Aaron (usaeatt2): Aaahhh, why didn't we get these pictures and measurements earlier?  :)  They are so brilliant and ways better than just the two close ups I've got.

Okay, the addition of the dovetail is an almost impossible thing now (at this stage of my build), but it looks like I have to redo at least the front sight pin, because the current one has a wrong shape.

@ Ian (Sith Lord): Thank you. I am curious about your realization of this mod...

@ Tim (Dark CMF): Thanks mate. Your build meanwhile reached a nice level. Did you enjoy dry brushing and weathering? And has your big brown box already arrived? :smiley-sw013:

@ Daniel (DarthChridan): Thanks man and don't forget: it's been people like YOU who made me go into all these details ;). When I began this build, I just needed a simple E-11 to display with the armor...

@ Lucas (ZeroRoom): Thank you sir :salute:.

@ Derek (thederek): Ha ha  :D, not sure if you would like the result, as I had the same problem with the paint on the grip (you've already seen that). I left it as it will be covered by three gloved fingers from the mannequin (in my case)...

Edited by T-Jay

Honestly Tino, I did enjoy it.  The trick was to be an adult, and get the brush dry enough to be effective.  In hindsight, that's where I had issues as an impatient child, and all I could really remember before painting the blaster was the results of my attempts as a child.  LoL

As for the big brown boxes...  FedEx says tomorrow!!!  :smiley-sw013: 

I cannot get over how beautifully that pattern transferred over on the sights.  Absolutely one of the most amazing, yet simple, mods I've seen done.  Little bit of effort, HUGE impact. 

I really look forward to seeing what the next great run of E-11 builds brings our way.  The bar has been raised substantially in the last several months, no doubt!