AP armor question! Please chime in

so recently I put up a post saying im gonna buy my buddies fx armor, well I changed my mind and im gonna buy AP armor because its more movie accurate, the only thing is that im 6'2'' and weigh 220, is that gonna be a problem or will I be ok, is there movie accurate armor for tall people? please let me know before I drop $1k

I would say you are too large for AP. Sure, you can make it work, but there are better options that are even more accurate and a better fit, or at the very least, cheaper and a better fit.

Check out RT-Mod if you haven't already.

Mine will be arriving within the next couple of months, but here is Darth Aloha's build thread, so you can get a look at the armor kit:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16995-darth-alohas-rt-mod-anh-stunt-buildrt/

Just an option for the taller/larger trooper, of course.

RT,  ATA and MTK would be more suitable for your size. But if you want to be even more accurate I would recommend TM. ATA has a very long waiting list however. But you shouldn't rush any armour, especially not if it's your first time.

Give him some time to reply. He's quite busy these days. More and more people are buying his armour. But I'm sure he'll reply as soon as he can. He can give you an accurate list of prices and what services he can add.

How much did you pay for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember. Like I said, talk to TM about prices. We don't publish kit prices in public for a reason.

It should be about nine months total, yes. If you've only got a three month window to work with, I've got no advice to offer, since my only experience is my wait for my RT kit.

Best of luck with your search.

Mathias,

Please explain how can TM be more accurate if its a fan sculpt and not derived from original suit, also please provide proof that ATA is larger than AP if ATA originates from same source as AP, as a matter of fact all movie derived suits originate from same source so they are all very similar in size except for RS, just check the family tree.

Mark

Edited by ABS80

If I can add some input on my own recent purchasing experience, I placed an order with RS and the armour arrived quickly, within 2 weeks in fact. Ok that's domestic UK courier but even with US postage that a much quicker turnaround. Drop them an email and they'll provide you with delivery costs and a price for armour which will vary depending on if you ask for rough cut (to complete yourself) or trimmed and fully strapped. The arms and legs will certainly be long enough for your height and build. Get a few prices from different providers, factor in how soon you'll have it and make your decision. Keep us informed :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mathias,

Please explain how can TM be more accurate if its a fan sculpt and not derived from original suit, also please provide proof that ATA is larger than AP if ATA originates from same source as AP, as a matter of fact all movie derived suits originate from same source except for RS, so they are all very similar in size, just check the family tree.

Mark

You are incorrectly equalling linage with accuracy. While they mostly go hand in hand, your ROTJ derived moulds are lacking in several departments where you would expect ANH details, in those cases where you would want to use it for an ANH or ESB suit. Your kit is also smaller in many regards, probably due to several generations of re-casting (since even ROTJ suits were recast from ANH), especially when compared to TM, which is much larger and nearly identical to RS in size. It also has no duplicate pieces and the forearms are correctly shaped whereas your are squashed in the wrong direction (see http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/3163-imgp0111/)

Yes, your suit and ATA has the same source, but you are hinting at that no armour maker has ever made any changes to their product, which also isn't true. And the ATA butt plate and kidney are wider than yours, allowing for a bigger waist circumference.

I understand that you don't like hearing any negativity about your suits, but realize that I'm not saying it's a bad product. I'm saying that it isn't the best product for this particular person.

I'm not going to start a debate as this is just your opinion and not actual facts and this will be my last post on this thread, for me personally lineage is way more important since you capture all the subtle shapes and assymetries which you can't duplicate perfectly on a fan sculpt, for shrinkage if any, there is no way it would be that obvious, I have many 200lbs+ customer fit in my suits all depend how you carry your weight, for the butt kidney not sure what your talking about, those pieces flex and can accommodate any size,  it's the least of a concern.  All that being said unless you have proof or facts about sizing and fitting you shouldn't comment on the issue.

Regards

Mark

Edited by ABS80

My first accurate style armor was an AP back in 2008.

jY2RIEd.jpg

I was 200lbs at the time and made it work quite well. I am also 5'8" But i thought it worked out very well. I think Buffstormtrooper could make AP work if he wanted.

That said, i think RT-mod would likely fit him better. Possibly RS as well...and by better i mean less shimming. I never actually saw a TM in person, so i cant comment on his size wise. I would have to agree that certain parts on the TM are more accurate than AP simply due to the fact that AP has mirrored parts (forearms for example). TM has gone through many many versions, and his sculpts have only gotten more accurate over time. If you have seen the update posts to his armor....you would see his meticulous nature of finding the slightest nuances and you'd know it is possible to get nearly identical to the screen used suit over time upgrading molds. Id say his suits are closest to RS.

Again, i think AP is great armor, one of the best.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

All Im going to say is that I have AP. Im 6'2"ish and come in about 180lbs. The height is the only issue (if you want to call it that) but it would have been an issue with any armor as the TK were about 5'10". TKs are shorter thats all there is to it. As I have been told I would have been a better Vader. Who knows.

I never had any issues getting approved with it, and I didnt ask for any help putting it togeather. IIRC it took me about a week to put it togeather as I got it trimmed from mark @ AP. Heck being tall prob helped as I didnt have to trim anything else down to fit it.