Possible ROTJ based Rubies TK

Sound Off!  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Like it
    • Hate it
    • Will wait and see...

I was actually hoping it would be something so much better, thats dissapointing.

Just think what you can get instead with the $899 that the rubies stormtrooper costs ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

Those pictures brightened my day. Nothing makes me laugh like a poorly constructed costume that costs almost $1k. Aw with the lack of boots the poor guy is also missing a neckseal. Looks like one swift kick to the proverbial rear would put this guy to pieces.

Those pictures brightened my day. Nothing makes me laugh like a poorly constructed costume that costs almost $1k. Aw with the lack of boots the poor guy is also missing a neckseal. Looks like one swift kick to the proverbial rear would put this guy to pieces.

I totally agree! It made me happy to see these pics and hear how flimsy it is.

It is also sad... sad for the people who spent time and money producing this... sad for the people who will buy it hoping to get into 501st (or worse, gain elite status)... and sad for all of us who spend good time and money on making really good stuff and then end up seeing people wearing this.

But, really I don't think we have much to worry about. There will always be people who don't know what they're buying and think because it costs a lot it is worth it.

• 1 month later...

wife beater... lol.

Yes, I feel bad as well for those who will get suckered by the marketing (which is all about opportunity and placement). You really do have to do your homework, though. I remember my first jaunt out here when buying armor was more of a fleeting dream, and not so much a soon to be reality, it was pretty intimidating, but I learned a lot pretty quickly.

Wow, words like "atrocious" and "horrid" pretty much sums it up. Apparently this stuff is mass-produced for a wide market. Looks like Rubies figured that since they made lots of money off their sub-par Vader, they could do the same with a TK. The fact they are asking for nearly 1K for this piece of s**t is damn near criminal.

Thanks to Humper (via SuperTrooper) for the pics and assessment. Hopefully the 501st swiftly comes out with a public statement that the Rubies TK, as is, is unacceptable for membership. It'll save more than a few people some money and heartache.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually with teh exception of the helmet that armor is a very accurate ROTJ suit taken from an original INCLUDING the neck. I was watching the Star Wars SE Trilogy Bonus Disc 'Empire of Dreams' Documentary and at 35:24 Robert Watts is speaking and behind him on a mannequin is an ROTJ trooper with the same scooped neck design as on the Rubies. So the look is accurate for that particular armor and teh helmet is godawful and looks to be taken from the DP deluxe. So, if someone goes this route and teh armor stays as it shows now MINUS the helmet how can they be told 'no' when what they are wearing is screen accurate. Seems that is you want to be an ROTJ trooper then swapping out the helmet and adding 2.5" nylon belt you should be just about there. This looks like a MUCH easier fix then teh Vader Supreme was and that can CERTAINLY be modded in to a very nice 501st acceptable piece.

Im not a Rubies defender but I see something in those pics very moddable but I think it will depend on what the final material used is

it's not as good as the suits that are put together by fans or the sds armor, but for those that have always wanted the armor and lack the time or the skills to buil their own set, it's a good compromise/alternative. anyone who's not an elitist and just a general fan would think it looks pretty good.

I don't think we (501st) are the intended audience. I know very few people who have a base whatever (TK, Vader, Officer, Fett) as their primary costume that doesn't tweak, upgrade, and constantly improve upon it.

• 2 weeks later...

If it costs $899 before tax, well you might as well pay one dollar more and buy AP. Its almost criminal to charge $899 for a flimsy plastic costume that is probably only costing them a few dollars to make. I would want my money back even if I had never heard of the 501st and all the fine armor we have.

Well, Ive never seen anyting Rubies go fro MSRP...the VAder was supposed to be $900 and I see them routinely go for $300-400 on Ebay. If I can pick one up cheap I may well do so...

If it costs $899 before tax, well you might as well pay one dollar more and buy AP. Its almost criminal to charge $899 for a flimsy plastic costume that is probably only costing them a few dollars to make. I would want my money back even if I had never heard of the 501st and all the fine armor we have.

Well, Ive never seen anyting Rubies go fro MSRP...the VAder was supposed to be $900 and I see them routinely go for $300-400 on Ebay. If I can pick one up cheap I may well do so...

Even before it came out it was going for between $5-600. I know because I seriously considered buying one for a while... Glad I didn't but thats another story.

Remember people, MSRP is pretty meaningless.

• 3 weeks later...

Just the mention of RUBIES should make you run for the hills :lol: When will these vendors stop insulting us by pandering their third rate K-Mart bound junk and deliver the goods :angry: "pulled from screen used armor....blah blah blah" Don't let the door hit you on the way out :lol:

available on pre order :huh:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120278640359" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120278640359</a>

"The photo shows the New Stormtrooper along with the Deluxe Collector's edition Darth Vader. If you have seen that, then you know how nice the stormtrooper will be" :lol::P:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

:lol:

that's a VERY laughable suit!!!!!!

from the sounds of it, the whole thing is BLOW MOLDED VINYL!!!

that's pathetic. so who's the poor guy who's going to buy one of these, post pics, and tell us how aweful this is??

i'll bet they would buy it, recast it, and sell it as an armor kit with a decent helmet (recast from a good helmet, of course). THAT might be worth buying, something vacuformed in some guy's garage out of ABS or HIPS, with a better helmet.

THIS is just a JOKE. the 501st has NOTHING to worry about when it comes to this suit. can't compete with something cheaper...

:lol::lol::lol:

Heving now seen and studied this up close and personal all I can say is STAY AWAY

The helmet is HORRID and unsalvageable

The suit looks like it was molded off of a suit left next to a space heater

the 'trim' is molded in and about twice teh size it should be

this armor is truly horrid

that's a VERY laughable suit!!!!!!

from the sounds of it, the whole thing is BLOW MOLDED VINYL!!!

that's pathetic. so who's the poor guy who's going to buy one of these, post pics, and tell us how aweful this is??

i'll bet they would buy it, recast it, and sell it as an armor kit with a decent helmet (recast from a good helmet, of course). THAT might be worth buying, something vacuformed in some guy's garage out of ABS or HIPS, with a better helmet.

THIS is just a JOKE. the 501st has NOTHING to worry about when it comes to this suit. can't compete with something cheaper...

:lol::lol::lol:

• 1 month later...