Elleerre's ATA build

Hi everyone, following you'll find the next step of the build... as usual comments are warmly encouraged and welcome.

Once decided the height of the brow, I've made the rivet holes, from now on no regrets... :D

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

And here it is after the first rough assembly, how am I proceeding?

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

A little check at the alignments...

IMG_4353.jpg

Then I removed the brow rubber and refined the borders where necessary.

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

After this I provided to mark the borders of the rear shell on the mask. From the beginning I left all the ABS borders on mask's sides, now it's time to cut the excess plastic away.

IMG_4355.jpg

So, I drilled away the rivets...

IMG_4356.jpg

And cutted away all the exceeding ABS. This will guarantee that the two shells have enough (not too much) overlapping.

IMG_4357.jpg

The result after re-riveting sides and adding the rivets on the bottom.

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg

Ok, now the going gets tough... my first ear attempt ever. Please feel free to be honest with comments.

First check after rough trimming.

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

And trimming...

IMG_4365.jpg

And trimming...

IMG_4366.jpg

And trimming...

IMG_4367.jpg

And trimming...

IMG_4368.jpg

[Lots of wary trimming here]

Finally I become to a quite satisfying result. I need some advice now, to know if/where there's something to modify. I'm not completely satisfied with the front gap, that is too wide in my opinion. But I don't know if it could be left as is. The curvature is quite good, is there any way to make the ear tight to the helmet?

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

Last thing: has the bottom screw to be visible or not? I've found it half way after installing the bottom rubber seal (don't ask me how did I made it...) :)

IMG_4375.jpg

I've paused the build for now so I can get some advices and avoid further mistakes with the right ear trimming.

Thanks in advance to everybody.

Lorenzo

Edited by elleerre

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The larger screws are for mounting the face to the cap in case you don't have a rivet gun. Btw....I would probably hit the edges of your teeth a bit more to square them off. They look a little Twinkie like when should be square.

Ear looks good to me. IMO the only way to close the front gap would be to drop down a little the ear, or perhaps by tightening harder the bottom screw.

Your bottom screw localizationis good, no worries to have on this matter.

And i guess the screw is provided to fasten the two halves of the helmet together, but i think we all use pop rivets for this purpose now.

Edit: Steve beat me on that :)

Edited by The5thHorseman

Btw....I would probably hit the edges of your teeth a bit more to square them off. They look a little Twinkie like when should be square.

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I was following pandatrooper's tutorial, that made the "twinkie" shape, hence the shape of mine.

Is the squared shape more correct ?

Edited by elleerre

When I was shaping my ears, and had that gap like you have in the front, I picked up and set down the ear on the helmet to see which parts of the ear hit the helmet first.  Those were the areas I sanded down more to get out of the way so the rest of it could sit better.

In your instance, I believe the bottom part of the ear where it curves to go underneath the helmet is what is preventing the rest of the ear from sitting down more onto the helmet.  You could try sanding off just a little of that bottom edge and see if the gap closes.  What I think will happen is the screw at the bottom will let you sit that part down more, which will pull downward at the top, and it could start closing that gap up.

Why did you paint the inside of the helmet black?

I painted mine black for looks, also helps on sunny days from ppl seeing inside, also when little kids look up my helmet it's just a black hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tehcaveman

Why did you paint the inside of the helmet black?

For now simply for the look. My goal is to idealize the internals as a "real" helmet, adding accessories, padding etc. I started with a plain, dark color as first step.

As others said there are some benefits during trooping, but as long I've not trooped again, I haven't tried that.

I never thought about sunny days and stuff. I'm doing my first armor build and except putting the fans in, I have my bucket done. Wish I had seen this before hand. Will think about still doing it. Thanks for idea :-)

I never thought about sunny days and stuff. I'm doing my first armor build and except putting the fans in, I have my bucket done. Wish I had seen this before hand. Will think about still doing it. Thanks for idea :-)

I highly endorse and recommend echo fan system.. post-19755-139604112062_thumb.jpg

Not trying to hijack your thread just showing you what teh fan setup and black interior looks like..

You're welcome Manny, no problem. Any advice is good.

I've put an eye on Echo fan system since the first days here... that's a wonderful peice of kit

;)

You're welcome Manny, no problem. Any advice is good.

I've put an eye on Echo fan system since the first days here... that's a wonderful peice of kit

;)

Ok cool lol.. It's amazing I don't know how I trooped with out it.. And I love how it hides all the wires and batteries.. Also have the option of running both or just one. Ordering a second one soon for my hero bucket..

I'm in doubt because some days ago I bought a metalized vacuum hose at the warehouse, I would like a lot the appearance of it inside the back helmet trim. On another side I'm very sensible to hot weather (and here it's HOT and WET when it's hot :D) and I know that Echo's device will be very useful for me when trooping...

I'm wondering if it's possible to combine both without loosing on performance

Pretty hot indeed. Here in the Venice hinterland we have, in July/August, often more than 30/35 °C during the day, sometimes we arrive about to 38 °C and humidity from 55 to 75%. We have mosquitos too, but no crocodiles :D

Hope I'll never troop in such conditions, but... who knows. BTW that fan system will be useful for sure even in warm spring/fall days.

:)

Edited by elleerre

Update

After a bit of curses to fit the right ear I have achieved a result that I define "less disgusting". I messed around a bit with the shells to attach the lower screw of the left ear, so later I'll try to do a some ABS paste to close the holes and give more grip to the screw.

I hope that the result, however, go well.

Please feel free to give any kind of feedback.

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

I've shortened the screws inside, as next job I plan to apply double sided velcro and insert padding and accessories (more or less functional or haestetic).

I'm happy with the strength of the black paint inside. I did'n care to avoid scratches, and despite this the coat has held up well. I highly reccommend this "bumper paint" to those that want a dark side of the bucket. :D

I have a question: is it possible to change the HOVIs in a way they have a hole passing through, to increase the air circulation inside the helmet, or is a modification that can give certification issues?

Just guessing, not sure to do it.

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Edited by elleerre