Elleerre's ATA build

post-20010-139332608514_thumb.jpg

So... Here I am, ready to start this adventure for the first time. Can't explain the feeling to pick up this box at the post office.

I'm happy like a child.

For now the helmet, I cant'wait for the rest of the armor...

I'll need for sure your help so stay tuned!

:)

Edited by elleerre

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love big brown boxes so Ā much that I become giddy when others receive theirs. Ā Now get to work :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I want to show the first results of my work...

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_4271.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4275.jpg

Ā 

Started with marking the excess ABS for the cutting, using Lexan scissors.

Ā 

IMG_4277.jpg

Ā 

I've left the entire side borders on mask, for now, as I've read that usually it's a little bit short.

So I'll proceed with the necessary fittings and then cut the surplus ABS.

As suggested in Pandatrooper's tutorial, I've made a hole on the corner between ears and front of the dome, to avoid cracking the ABS, during the cutting.

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_4282.jpg

Ā 

As you can see, leaving the excess ABS on the mask sides wasn't a bad idea, for now.

Ā 

Eyes/teeths cutting... sorry for the poor quality of these pictures.

Ā 

IMG_4286.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4287.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4289.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4294.jpg

Ā 

Refined dome and mask, cutted away eyes and started to make holes through mouth.

How am I going in your opinion?

Ā 

P.s.: a big thank to Pandatrooper and Ales for their tutorials...

Edited by elleerre

Another question: how can I level the imperfections on the pulls?

Ā 

I was thinking to heat up the inside with a professional heater, the using something flat from the outside to level where needed.

Ā 

Or... will be sufficient a general polish to make the imperfections less evident?

Edited by elleerre

Looks like a good start :)

Ā 

However, i wouldn't trying to level the imperfections.

First, because the original helmets were full of them. Second, because i wouldn't try at all heating the helmet, it is extremely thin and warping risks are way too high, Third, because i think most of the imperfections are located on the areas which will be painted later on, and the paint will hide them for you; or located at the junctions between the face & back, which will mostly be covered by the ears.

Thanks for your feedback Germain. However I will not paint it. I'll go with polish only, I think it's a better solution for maintenance.

Ā 

How about teeths, in your opinion?

Ā 

:)

Edited by elleerre

When i talk about paint, it was the grey areasĀ  ^_^

Ā 

About the teeth they might could be a little more squared at the top and bottom:

12149503156_7647c57356.jpg

Ā 

Ah ok, that's right, sorry.

Today I'll make some further work...

Ā 

Thanks!

Edited by elleerre

Another batch of pictures. Sorry again for the phone quality, but my camera is definitely gone.

Ā 

After taken away the eyes and most of the theets' ABS I've remembered that I wanted to paint black the inside of the helmet.

Nice move, Lorenzo... :D

Ā 

So, I've washed the inside of the mask and dome with dish soap, masked up all the holes with some aluminum tape (hexaust tape), that is very sticky and has done its job.

Then, following Ales' tutorial, I've protected the outside of the parts with plastic bags, fixed with blue tape (that in Italy is yellowish, I don't know why...)

Ā 

Finished with a good grey primer spraying.

Ā 

IMG_4335.jpg

Ā 

After the primer dried, I've painted the internals with spoiler/bumper paint, that has both good grip and satin finish. I'm very satisfied with the result, smooth and clean.

Ā 

IMG_4336.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4337.jpg

Edited by elleerre

Result after driyng (dust is because I'm still working on teeths)

Ā 

IMG_4342.jpg

Ā 

ATA logo masked with a double layer of transparent adhesive paper. After painting I've took away the upper one, so the lower remains to protect logo and signature :)

Ā 

IMG_4343.jpg

Edited by elleerre

A good dark result for my helmet internals, hope Lord Vader will be proud of me...

Ā 

IMG_4347.jpg

Ā 

It seems a little bit narrow to put my head in....

Will be solved with the lower rivet?

Edited by elleerre

So, I'm at another crucial point, I need some advice please.

Ā 

I want to reach a low brow positioning, but not in line with eyes, just a little lifted. Is the dome positioning good?

I need to know before to drill the first rivet holes...

Ā 

And how about the teeths dimensions, now?

Ā 

IMG_4346.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4345.jpg

Ā 

IMG_4344.jpg

Edited by elleerre

The dome positioning is all yours! If you like the brow as it sits right now, then it's all good :)Ā .

Before drilling the side holes just make sure the curved side sections of the Cap & Back sit flush and tight againt the faceplate or your holes might be misaligned after drilling.Ā 

Ā 

Teeth are better now, once the frown painted they'll do the job.

Thanks Germain.

Ā 

About the lower border, clasping the parts together, the rear side comes in the front against the mask. You can see it in the reversed picture. Should I find the better position keeping firmly the shells by hand during the drilling?

Or it's not important in this step?

It's normal if the bottom section of the Cap&Back overlap a little the bottom of the faceplate. Just be sure when drilling that those areas are kept firmly against one another (by hand or with something else) so the holes are rightly lined