Sign in to follow this  
Kinjo54

Hello from Bedford TX

I have been meaning to get into this hobby for years now and i have finally decide to pull the trigger. I been wanting trooper armor since I saw Jedi in the theatre as a small kid. I have kind of put it off due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be a source with tier 1 armor you can pick up the phone and give them your card info:). Anyways, like I said I'm eager to join the 501 to do cons and charity. Firstly I will need some guidance though. I'm wanting to get some TM or RT armor but I know there may be a wait. Are these still the best kits available? I'm 6.1 at 215 lbs with broad shoulders if that helps. I have read the RT caters to the larger build. Another question I have is their anyone in the North Texas garrison that would be able to assist me in assembling my kit once I get it. I'm not very crafty at all :). Also is there a kit available readily with no wait time that is good quality? If I have to wait 6 months to a year for a high end kit I feel I will end up buying two suits. I'm a little impatient to say the least. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to FISD!  One can make almost any kit look great if you do your homework.  There are a lot of great armor makers out there.  TM is widely acknowledged as one of the absolute best, but  there are other options to be sure.  RT Mod is great for larger troopers, but at that size you can still make any kit work.  If you haven't done so yet,  check out this link:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

Hey Phil! Welcome aboard! You can take a midsection measurement of yourself as well as provide any other measurements and give that to the armor maker you are considering. They will tell you if you are suited to that specific armor.

Hey, neighbor, drop me a line sometime, I may have quality advice for you!<br /><br />Scott in Dallas<br /><br />TK-42194<br /><br />

Howdy, Philip, and welcome aboard!!

You're starting in the right place - FISD will be able to answer all your questions.  And Star Garrison is near you to help with anything you need on the ground!  And don't worry - I never considered myself particularly artsy either, but with research and patience, it's quite fun and you'll learn a whole new skillset for yourself!

For local stuff, join the facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296336407050926/ where we'll post upcoming armor parties and advice from Star Garrison to help you on your path to the 501st.

I'm guessing you ordered an ATA kit - those kits are wonderful; I've ordered two of his helmets myself.  Definitely worth the wait and will give you the opportunity to continue to absorb as much knowledge as you can from FISD.  If you are worried about broad shoulders in your armor, the other maker to look to other than RT Mod is NE Armor (I have a set of AM, the precursor to NE, because I was likewise concerned about my build.)  

Come say hi at the local cons that are happening in the next few months - we'll all be around and would love to show you what you'll be getting into!

Good luck, and feel free to ask anything!

Dan

Welcome to FISD!

Unfortunately, a wait is (usually) part of the process - be it for blasters, boots or armor :(  But, plenty to read & absorb here on the forums, and I see the link to our Academy FaceBook page is already posted above.

If you can make it All-Con next month, stop by - a good portion of Star Garrison will be in attendance!

Edited by boomshakra

Welcome to FISD!

Unfortunately, a wait is (usually) part of the process - be it for blasters, boots or armor :(  But, plenty to read & absorb here on the forums, and I see the link to our Academy FaceBook page is already posted above.

If you can make it All-Con next month, stop by - a good portion of Star Garrison will be in attendance!

Sound good I will be sure to make it.I have one ATA and RT ordered now. Hopefully one will come out perfect, but they are both 6 months out. Almost as much torture as waiting for an NFA tax stamp.