Sign in to follow this  
boomshakra

Austin Marathon & Half-Marathon 2014

Greetings Troopers!

My family is actively involved with a local non-profit, Colin's Hope, whose mission is to raise water safety awareness.  This year (and in years past, actually), we volunteered to help out at the water stop along the course of the Austin Marathon.  The stop was located right around mile 9, and from experience of running the course in 2011, that is where casual runners (like me :)) start to run out of gas.  What better way to give them a bit more oomph for the hills ahead then to hand them their water while in Armor?

With a field of roughly 14,000 runners, it is a good idea to have a lot of water poured ahead of time:

colinshopewaterstop_021614_4_zpsfb3c0d5e

You only need to fill the cups about half-way to reduce spillage, as many runners grab the cups on-the-fly:

1e6b5026-8bc4-45c3-8a6a-9a9ea88c492a_zps

The reactions of the runners was pretty amusing at times, lots of smiles, waves, and "WTF?"'s - if they spotted me early enough, they would by-pass the volunteers ahead of me to take one of my cups :)

colinshopewaterstop_021614_2_zps4d96ea65

Many stopped for pictures/selfies, and fortunately that didn't cause a back-up/bottleneck at our station:

colinshopewaterstop_021614_3_zpsc71a5dec

While I did feel some fatigue after pretty much standing in one place for 4 hours, the time flew by - I hope that between the water I handed to the runners and the "unexpected" presence of White Armor gave some of the runners some extra spring in their step :)

Until next troop!

That looks ridiculously fun. Nicely done trooper. 

Good to see you posting btw.

-Eric

Great job!  This is what i'm talking about....... Helping the local community!

Awesome work trooper, well done

I can't say anything that has not been said already - what a great cause, and a great job done, supporting it!!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys - I'm sure there are more pictures out there somewhere :)

One of the funnier ones was a guy wearing Google Glasses.  He stopped...looked at me for a second, and then touched the temple of the glasses - I'm assuming that was to take a picture, but he may have been trying to assimilate me into the Collective :P

Tremendous job Jason.  Sometimes those solo troops can be the most rewarding.