White paint to match ATA helmet?

Hey, I painted the tube stripes using the templates from Trooperbay and when I removed them, I had bleeding and paint coming up.  On a couple spots where there was bleeding, I, like and idiot, used an exacto knife to scrape away the paint instead of just using my fingernail, which I soon discovered worked great. The couple spots that I used the knife roughed up the surface a bit and now the blue doesn't want to come off.  Should I just find a paint that matches and cover it or is there a better solution?  Didn't know if anyone had run into this or a similar issue that required painting some white on the helmet.  Thanks for any help you can give! I keep trying to upload the picture from photobucket, but FISD is telling me I'm not allowed to use that link, so I'm just posting a link to it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://s129.photobucket.com/user/tgreen1386/media/E20FF811-30AC-4BCB-B646-F52518CBE00C_zps5msy3u6p.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Hi Troy, Get some paint thinner a cloth and  paint will come right off. Repaint the stripes, but make sure the templet is in the right position and no air bubbles. I can tell from your pic that the templet was uneven. 

I used some mineral spirits on the spots.  It helped, but it's not 100%. The uneven stripes are the result of paint coming off with the template when I removed it.  They were on there pretty straight.  I think my paint might have had something to do with it.  The gray and black I used were pretty thick and the french blue for the stripes was pretty watery. Testors' website said to stir the paint instead of shaking it if it was thin or watery.  i stirred it for quite awhile yet the consistency stayed the same.  I figured I could use it and just do a few layers to get the color even.  When I pulled the templates off for the tear and trap stripes I didn't have any trouble at all with bleeding/coming up with the template. Obviously I have to even out the stripes along the bottom where the paint pulled up, but do you think the faint blue between the 11th and 12th stripe will be a problem for approval?

http://rs129.pbsrc.com/albums/p230/tgreen1386/Mobile%20Uploads/photo6_zps28986ab8.jpg~320x480?t=1392956985

Here's the other side.  It has a couple stripes where the paint pulled up, but it fared much better.

http://rs129.pbsrc.com/albums/p230/tgreen1386/Mobile%20Uploads/photo7_zpsc14f5cbe.jpg~320x480?t=1392957297

That side looks fine to me.

Alright. I guess I'll pick up some paint thinner tomorrow and take em off.  The mineral spirits did take off quite a bit of it, but not all of it. Should that paint be thick like the other Testors paints? Didn't know if I should take it back or try to use it again.

I think I'll take it back to exchange for a new bottle.  I shook it for a few minutes. Then I read to stir it, so I did that for a pretty long time and it was still like water.  The jar looks old compared to the other ones I got, so no telling how old it is. 

http://rs129.pbsrc.com/albums/p230/tgreen1386/Mobile%20Uploads/photo8_zps0899b7d8.jpg~320x480

I have found that Model master tends to be slightly thinner than the regular square bottles that sell for $1.50. Just get the cheap one.

I still airbrush mine, fewer issues.

I'd go with airbrushing, if you have the means. Much easier. :) 

Well I bought the Model Masters French Blue because there was a color guide on here saying to use it, so I wanted to be accurate. I know I could probably go with any similar color and be alright, but if someone says, "I used (fill in name of product) for this," I usually try to stick with that exact thing since I know it's been used with good results instead of taking a chance.

When I painted my tube strips I tape the template down and then traced the outline of the tube stipe.I then took off the template and hand painted the template with a brush trying as much as I could to stay within the lines. I painted the tube stripes twice the first time lightly and then the second time more heavily. I then let the paint dry and with a tooth pic carefully removed any excess blue paint and cleaned the lines up so they were straight. I have done the tube stripes both ways with the template down and painted the stripes and my way and I feel it is easier and much cleaner. I had messed my AP helmet up and I just sanded down the tube stripes then polished the cheek tubed where I sanded and then repainted on the stripes and no one was the wiser.

That sounds like a good way of doing it. Since mine are mostly intact and I'll just have to fill in where the paint pulled up, I'm just gonna fix that spot and leave the rest. If it comes to not getting approved because of that area, I'll redo them but until then I'm just gonna go with it. Thanks for the advice! I'll get pics on here when I get them done.

• 1 month later...

Just went through the same thing...... Paint bled under the pin striping tape I used. I tried to burnish it down good, but missed some places.

What type of thinner is easiest on the ABS? I am always using acetone for cleaning stuff, and it seems to dull the ABS significantly. I guess that makes sense, since I just retread about ABS goo. Also what did you polish with once the paint was removed? I have used Novus in the past.....

Edited by BlackDOG

I had some issues with a little paint getting where I didn't want to go. I discovered by accident that the white artist's eraser takes off paint. I was just trying to remove a pencil mark and it also took off a bit of paint. I tried it in other areas, and it worked to clean up everyplace I had a smidge that I wanted removed. The white eraser on the back of my

Lowe's pencil also worked. It was easiest when the paint was relatively fresh and only a single coat, but I was also able to take off a little spot where I had a double coat with more elbow grease.