What we know about strapping, snaps, rivets etc

Locitus

Does anyone have a current source for the correct bolts and nuts as well as the 45mm white shoulder elastic?

That damn shoulder elastic has been elusive. I can find stuff close but not with the square pattern like the original

The elastic in the ebay auction that is linked in post 1 is matched with the original. Nuts and bolts, I don't know.

Hi Mathias,

Don't forget the helmet straps :)

25mm black 14 cord elastic with one side having a size 5 nickel cap and size 4 nickel socket. The other strap has two size 4 stud / eyelet.

If you or anyone else has any questions feel free to give me a shout and hopefully I can help out.

Please share pictures of this if you have.. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've created this special section to put this thread to only discuss original suits and how they were. Completely unrelated to what the 501st does or needs. We have so many other sections for 501st stuff, but until now nothing for replicas. :)

A  got a whole bunch of more info on the elastics from Voice in the crowd that I will try to add tomorrow, as well as tidy up the post a little.

At some point though, it's conceivable that some or much of this information will make it to the CRL. Each passing year the "state of the art" for the 501st requirements get bumped, so things like strapping could eventually end up there.

The ebay auction has ended. 

I know someone must know about the nuts and bolts. TM maybe has a source?

Elastic - Just contact the seller he may still have some left but just hasn't listed it just now. I bought from him twice over the last 3 years.

What do you need to know about the nuts and bolts? The sizes should either be in the pictures I gave to Mathias or in my notes. 

They aren't anything special they are just standard metric nuts and bolts that cost pennies.

Looking at my notes they have a 5mm bolt head the bolts are countersunk slotted heads. The bolts are 7mm long (that might be 7mm protruding through the plastic - sorry notes were taken years ago so some of it isn't exactly fresh in my memory) and the nut across the flats is 5.13mm. The bolts are steel. I would think M3 in size but double check yourself before buying. Just check at a local hardware store and you will get what you need.

Edited by voice in the crowd

• 1 month later...

When searching for current snaps and such, as newey stuff is basically impossible to find (at least what I have discovered) Does anyone have some sizing of the snaps?

Shoulder sew in press fasteners, size 10.... is that a 10mm head?

For the rest of the snaps, a 5/4 setup, ok but how many mm is a size 5?

The shoulder snap is a 18 mm head. Saw a picture of the RS suit with measurements. But I'm on my smartphone ATM...

I thought I went through the RS suit pictures in the gallery and all I saw was comparison shows of snaps but didn't see any shows with the micrometer on them.

Ok, so I found the shots with the sizing of the regular snaps. Head being 13.4mm, female end 13.8mm, then the other side being the tail, 12.1 and male end 10.2mm. I'm not sure how to properly name them, hahah.

Based on the photos of the shoulder straps, I do agree with you Steffen, it seems to be about 18-20mm. Since we know the elastic is 25mm... http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/2962-dsc03217-zpsd2e23a22jpg/

Edited by Dday

Derrek, you were right.

There is no picture with measurements.... but I think I remember the 18 mm from an ebay auction, that I did not win.

It was a size 10 sew on snap card with the dimension 18 mm printed on it.

Have searched google for a newey size chart.... but without success.

Perhaps you could write RS Prop and ask them about buying one of their strapping package:

http://www.rspropmasters.com/accessories/

I thought about that, but I don't need the full strapping package. I can find the elastics pretty easily, Mr. nostripes has a pretty good bracket setup, the eyes and hooks for the shins are pretty easy to find... so all thats remaining is the snaps. Once I have the size, which I feel comfortable with I'm good.

And besides, is the RS strapping kit using the original stuff? Newey snaps and so on, or just the same style but current manufactured gear?

And besides, is the RS strapping kit using the original stuff? Newey snaps and so on, or just the same style but current manufactured gear?

New gear. Newey aren't around anymore.

New gear. Newey aren't around anymore.

Yeah, I thought they might have a stockpile or something.

I'm sure they try to snatch up everything they find. But I don't think they put it on everyone's suits. Maybe for an additional fee.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In the end, i'd be interested to know what is the brand they use as it's a very good look-alike. Do you have any informations about where to get this stuff?

Edited by The5thHorseman