What we know about strapping, snaps, rivets etc

Locitus

Here's a summary of what we know of what was used on the original suits, courtesy of the images and information provided by Voice In The Crowd:

Snaps
The shoulder strap snap fasteners are Newey size 10. Gallery
The other snaps all over the suit are Newey size 5 tops with size 4 studs. Known as a 5/4 configuration.
The shin hooks are Newey size 4 Gallery

Elastics
Thigh elastic is 75mm wide and is 46 cord. Length 230mm total. 200mm long with a 30mm fold over. There is 65mm out of the leg the rest is inside. Of the elastic inside the leg 70mm of it is glued down.
The arm elastic linking the forearm and biceps are 50mm 38 cord - one arm elastic total length was 230mm the other was 240mm. Gallery
The shoulder strap elastics is 45-47 mm white. Has a squared pattern.  Positive match: Ebay Gallery Gallery
Drop box elastic is 25 mm white. Gallery
Canvas belt is roughly 75 mm wide. Gallery
Torso elastics are 25 mm black.

The helmet elastics are 25mm black 14 cord elastic with one side having a size 5 nickel cap and size 4 nickel socket. The other strap has two size 4 stud / eyelet.
The elastic on the shins with sewn hooks white 25mm wide it is 14 cord elastic, The elastic length is 75mm and has a 25mm fold over where it is sewn.
The elastic that goes across the shoulder bells bottom is 25mm 14 cord black and it is 270mm long. 40mm of the 210mm is glued one side and 20mm glued on the other.

The strap that goes from the top of the shoulder bell to the big Newey snap that is on the main shoulder elastic has a 3 folds in the 25mm black 14 cord elastic. The way it works is - if you look at the elastic side on like the photo going from right to left - make the first fold 80mm back to the right - then fold at 10mm back to the left - then after 40mm back to the right - leaving 20mm pointing to the right (the part the snap is sewn to. This makes total length of the elastic the 150mm. (see attached picture)

snapfolds.png

Hardware
The bracket screws are 5 mm flat head machine screws Gallery
The split/bifurcated rivets have a head diameter of 8 mm, a shank diameter of 3.9 mm and a length of 9.2 mm - Positive match: Ebay - Gallery
The cap rivet heads are 7.36 mm in diameter and 8.36 mm in the back Gallery Gallery
Pop rivet washers are 12.61 mm in diameter Gallery
Bracket wire gauge is 1.25mm
The bolts that hold the brackets have 5mm wide heads - they are 7mm long and the nut on the other side measures 5.13mm across the flats.
The spacing between the holes where the metal brackets are placed was 38mm for the centres of each hole.

Thermal detonator
Thermal detonator end caps are 20 mm deep Gallery
Thermal detonator belt clips are 28.7 mm wide Gallery
Thermal detonator belt clips are 68.89 mm tall from bend to tip Gallery
Thermal detonator belt clip tip outward bend is 5.79 mm wide Gallery

Misc
Boots are black chelsea boots, produced by Stuarts Gallery
Most likely glue used is Stelmax 1985 (information provided by TrooperMaster)

Newey.jpg

• Like 4

That's indeed very nice! I hope you will keep updating this thread 'till everything is known Mathias :)

Maybe you could add the type of glue originally used? I read from TM they used Stelmax 1985 

The thigh elastic is 3 inches wide so for those Europeans out there that will be 75mm not 50mm that's only 2 inches....

Gotcha. I'm still waiting on more exact measurements from voice in the crowd so I was winging it while putting the post together.

This is beautiful!  I'm printing it out and adding to my build binder.  Thanks for sharing this Mathias!

I can't take credit though, I'm just compiling other peoples knowledge. At the moment it's mostly Chris's.

I thought the belt measurement from the CRL for Centurion was 2.75". Does that mean the CRL is incorrect?

"Size must be 2.75†(70 mm) to 3.25â€(83 mm) wide and not wider than the plastic portion of the belt."

Edited by pandatrooper

I thought the belt measurement from the CRL for Centurion was 2.75". Does that mean the CRL is incorrect?

"Size must be 2.75” (70 mm) to 3.25”(83 mm) wide and not wider than the plastic portion of the belt."

I guess we should fix that then. But the point of any information in this thread is that is is unrelated to 501st needs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah right. Gotcha.

I've created this special section to put this thread to only discuss original suits and how they were. Completely unrelated to what the 501st does or needs. We have so many other sections for 501st stuff, but until now nothing for replicas. :)

A  got a whole bunch of more info on the elastics from Voice in the crowd that I will try to add tomorrow, as well as tidy up the post a little.

Understood. When viewing on the mobile version of the site, I don't really pay attention to the forum name. You can't see it very well as the letters get cut off where it says "The Repli..." :)

No worries. Its very new to all of us :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does somone know what was used as a inner belt? What held the thighs in place?

Was it just a normal leather belt, was it nylon or elastic?

What kind of closing mechanism did it have?

Yeah, some kind of thin belt for sure.

It took some digging, but I found this old post: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11419-howto-taking-a-rest-elstree-studio-style/

• Like 1