MTK Build - ANH Stunt

Definitely getting there in good fashion, Ian. I'm "preparing" to drill split rivet holes in the sides soon, myself. Love the tape line. Will be incorporating that in my build quite soon, too.

The slow and steady pace continues...... Right hand snap installed, and hole for the belt snap

P1020127_zpsb5d3d753.jpg

Other side

P1020129_zpsdee005b1.jpg

Using the visible snap, I also added another snap to do the clamshell closure. I considered velcro, but had heard that it may make that velcro tearing sound as you move around, so continued with the snap idea.

P1020130_zps544711f8.jpg

And webbing with double snap will look like this. Has since been E6000'd and clamped for overnight curing.

P1020131_zpsa6580b2a.jpg

And the belt in progress

P1020132_zps0c3dc2c1.jpg

It was miles too big. Rather than cut and sew, I simply folded it over twice and glued it together. These folds sit perfectly under the ammo sections of the ammo belt.

P1020133_zps67af6d22.jpg

And I have a belt and holster. I'll wait to put the rivet covers on until the very end, just in case....

P1020134_zps7b270961.jpg

Edited by Sith Lord

Wow, your making good progress, must be getting cold down there in Camberra by now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of simple curiosity, what gaugeof ABS is MTK's armor? It looks really detailed and shinny.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Looks great Ian!

Coming along nicely and some creative way to shorten the belt. Can't wait to see more but take your time. :duim:

The only advise I have while you are at this stage is to reduce the lip on the top and bottom of the ammo belt.

SAM_3057.JPG

Since I couldn't tell where the belt was attached to the Ab plate, there are some that will want to see the top of the belt almost covering the lower painted button. Kind of like this.

12340717315_7f1bfe0913_z.jpg

Out of simple curiosity, what gaugeof ABS is MTK's armor? It looks really detailed and shinny.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Looked up an email I got from MTK, he said it was 1.7mm. So kind of in between thickness of most armor.

Edited by toybiz

Wow, your making good progress, must be getting cold down there in Camberra by now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andrew. Rediculous last week! Lucky I have some snowy armor coming too  ;)

Awesome job!  Keep going Ian so I can follow what you are doing!

Cheers Steve. Getting there....

Looks great Ian!

Coming along nicely and some creative way to shorten the belt. Can't wait to see more but take your time. :duim:

The only advise I have while you are at this stage is to reduce the lip on the top and bottom of the ammo belt.

SAM_3057.JPG

Since I couldn't tell where the belt was attached to the Ab plate, there are some that will want to see the top of the belt almost covering the lower painted button. Kind of like this.

12340717315_7f1bfe0913_z.jpg

Thanks Adam. I'll have to check again, but I think I've lined my belt up about half way between where yours is and the pic above. I like it high, but not over the buttons.

I thought about the trimming of the ammo belt. You can see in my pic over page where the light is reflecting off the curve. I have trimmed the top and bottom of the belt at the end (flat part) of the curve. I thought if I trim any more then the belt will have wobbles and waves visible along the top and bottom edges. However I do see that yours is quite a bit thinner so will have to have a closer look at mine. Will also have a closer look at the other few MTK builds out there.

Cheers

Edit: Oh, and thanks for replying to Tolo for me. Saves me looking up my old emails :)

Edited by Sith Lord

Here's a few more pics of my belt. Hopefully I've captured the design of it for you all to see. I think I've trimmed as close to the 'flat' section as I can. If I trim into the curve I think it won't look right.

Would appreciate any input

P1020138_zpse423d753.jpg

P1020137_zpsdb6b338f.jpg

P1020136_zpsac5685cd.jpg

P1020135_zps14168c3d.jpg

I think you will be fine. From what I can see on the CRL, there isn't anything in regards to the ammo belt "lip". From what I see in other builds, it varies quite a bit. :D

Here are some photo references on the ammo belt that Mathias posted on the photo reference library.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/3158-dsc02494jpg/

Thanks Adam, Tim, Lucas.

Shoulder bells getting hung this weekend, then the biceps and forearms will slot straight on. Then the legs..... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Going to have a mini armor party with a mate around the corner to try to smash through some of the measuring and lining up tasks together.

So, I don't mind publicising my mistakes or mishaps (I've made plenty of them....). Latest is the handguards. See my other thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27403-another-boot-thread-but-with-spray-paint/ - hand guards looked good. I then glued them onto my gloves. CA glue, clamped on. First mistake, I laid down masking tape to outline where the guards were to be placed. Second, CA glue leaked out and saturated the tape. Third, clamps pulled off the paint when I released them. I think the clamps were too powerful as they really left an impression. Anyway, I couldn't get the masking tape off, so I ripped off the guards and bought new gloves.

This time around, I followed Karin's tutorial for her guards and glued one edge at a time on the unpainted guard. End result:

P1020143_zps73e1d359.jpg

P1020145_zpsc7fd3eed.jpg

Now I just need to paint them again and let them cure fully.

Belt completed

P1020146_zpse8fb4240.jpg

However, next mistake - I cheated with the elastic straps and glued them on as two pieces (front and back) so they looked like full loops going over the belt, and they won't slip out of position like you often see. Somehow I managed to mess up the centering of them so the elastic is riveted on a little off centre

P1020147_zps8d2aeb47.jpg[/url

I've pondered having the drop boxes as a storage compartment, by closing with magnets. I think it should work, but not sure. Thoughts?

P1020148_zps3c7f3274.jpg

P1020149_zps2eb422a6.jpg

And I notice in other threads, most recently a comment by Glen in Tim's thread about heat curving the belt. I didn't think about it with mine, but considering it bends like this under it's own weight and has a bunch of velcro at the back aswell, hopefully it'll stay put. I'm also a bit hesitant to crack out the heat gun, especially now that it's all together.

P1020150_zpsb9221399.jpg

Welcome any comments or suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by Sith Lord

Nice idea for the drop box storage. I may take mine apart and try something with magnets and small metal plate. Just not sure about putting any credit cards or anything with a megnetic stripe in there.

I did try initially with a plate with Velcro inside but it was too thick.

Keep the creativity coming! :)

Honestly Ian, I'm terribly scared of trying to hear gun the fully assembled belt, too.

I'm not sure how much the movement will impact it staying in place, but during my test fit last night, I had it pulled nice and tight, without either of the snaps even attached, and it didn't appear to want to go anywhere.

I'll still keep the heat gun in consideration, but I'm afraid of it. LoL

I had a buddy come around last night. He used a heat gun to bend his belt the other day. He made up a template similar to the link mentioned in Tim's thread (I think). He got a bit close and deformed one of the boxes and the overall shape of the belt. I think I'll leave mine as is!

Anyway, feedback time if I can ask nicely :)

I've got the shoulder bells snapped onto the shoulder straps. The biceps and forearms are just taped there at the moment. Personally, I think it's ok. I'm a little concerned that the ends of my forearms will rub against my painted hand guards. Thoughts welcomed.....

Arms2_zps2e2e10bc.jpg

4a985a23-00ab-464c-a8e1-80945e417e22_zps

And the left

Arms4_zpscdb84714.jpg

Arms3_zps3575ed50.jpg

Your forearms look great but you need to re size your biceps as they look way too big on you. Welll at least your right bicep. Just trim more than where it told you to trim.

Trim past the mold lines to close thatup I had to do so on my AP but the fit is near perfect!

Thanks for the input. I think that's just the well published weird shape of the MTK armor. Will consider Toybiz's re shaping trick at some point. I think it will look better once I pad them out too so they sit right. The length and spacing was more what I was checking on.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!!

Are shins meant to look like this? I've gone for the original elastic/hook method, and there just seems to be a huge gap. But I guess, the elastic is there, the hook is there, the cover strip is there, the holes in the shin are there. Is there anything I've missed or done wrong, or is that just the way it is.

P1020182_zpsb98c0d96.jpg

P1020180_zps64882fab.jpg

The only real photo reference I can find is this, which could appear to be a fair gap too.

med_gallery_12157_59_18991.jpg

Edited by Sith Lord

Great question!! Mine look identical, so I'm going to guess that they do look like that, but I'll watch and see what others have to say, too.

All you need to do to fix the bicep is trim it to your size, its an oval because it has more plastic than the other bicep. cut the plastic down to size and it will be circle shaped. just like your other bicep. You just have to remove a little extra then normal.   :)