MTK Build - ANH Stunt

LOL that's awesome Ian, I can just imagine how excited you are, looking forward to the build ;)

You mean you didn't cruise around the neighborhood looking for the postman?

:laugh1:  :laugh1: . That's where need live Google Maps, or drones you can call on to find important stuff like this.

Day 1 - Slow start, just a bit of trimming of some of the items. I think I need to trim the shoulder straps a few more mm either side. And the shoulder bells will obviously be trimmed later on fitting. But so far, so good I think.

P1010840_zps6676b7cf.jpg

P1010843_zps3ff77974.jpg

P1010844_zps24f29e30.jpg

A bit more progress last night/this morning. Might need to check a few more Reference pics and trim a bit more of these:

P1010850_zps3df3e7f7.jpg

Eyes are ok, I think.

P1010845_zpscfd64ca6.jpg

P1010846_zpscc687040.jpg

Although I haven't fitted the brow yet, my concern is with the fit ofthe two halves. Does this approximate placement look right, and if so, will the ears and S-Trim tidy up the join? It's not looking too good at the moment

P1010847_zps4cc96f69.jpg

P1010848_zpsbf9dc355.jpg

P1010849_zpsd091a406.jpg

Looking good, the ears should cover the sides were they join, s trim will meet up with the top of the ear, depending were the ears sit you may end up with a slight gap between the ear and s trim, see how you go ;)

It's looking great - you're working fast!

Eyes look good, and yes, don't worry about the bottoms of the lid parts not lining up. In fact, I'd use the weird overlap to pop the bottom rivet in so you know it's out of the way of the screw.

Here's what the bottom of my MTK lid looks like:

kNb9DX4.jpg?1

hlRpnsE.jpg?1

As you can see, it doesn't 100% cover the bottom of the ears because of the way they're shaped, but it does cover the split of the helmet. It shouldn't be an issue - it's not noticeable unless you're looking directly at it.

One last thing, use your TD pipe as the radius for the curve of the ammo belt. And yes, the new main belt looks way better!

Looking good so far!  The biggest help for me was the trooperbay videos mike made and then looking at builds here.  There wasnt actually any MTK builds till recently so I looked at ATA builds.

Everything is looking good so far!  As Bobby said, make sure to use the TD pipe for the curve on the thigh ammo belt thingy.  Aswell take a look at some reference shots to get that awesome 45 degree angle on the main ammo belt!

Bucket:  Everything seems to look good here,  it took me a while to figure out how I wanted by brow trim on there, so after you put your rivets in the ear really play with it to be sure that you got it exactly where you want it!

I will say that I think you might want to trim a little more of the top corner where the brow line is.  While you will not want it to be a 90 degree angle, I think you will need to cut a little more so that the brow trim can properly fit in place.  That extra large curve might hinder it.... it might, check it out.

Thanks for everyone's input. Most build threads don't show this part, so wasn't sure.... A bit more playing around with the ears last night, I realise that they will cover everything up.

James, yes that brow cut was just very rough and curved so it didn't split until I worked out where to cut it. Fully trimmed now.

Hadn't thought about the TD for the ammo belt. It needs to be pre curved does it? I'll try put that in the memory bank for when I'm up to there.

Busy few days ahead now, so will post updates when I can.

Cheers all.

Ian

James is absolutely correct - I actually had to trim the "round" part in the lid cap/back when I was trying to fit the left ear on. But honestly, I'd prefer that than having already cut too much off...

And definitely put the brow trim on before you rivet. You'll get a 1/8" play at most once the rivets are in.

James is absolutely correct - I actually had to trim the "round" part in the lid cap/back when I was trying to fit the left ear on. But honestly, I'd prefer that than having already cut too much off...

And definitely put the brow trim on before you rivet. You'll get a 1/8" play at most once the rivets are in.

That's exactly what I need to do so the ear covers everything. Originally followed the trim line, but bymoving the ear (left) back by about 3mm, I'll need to trim it back some more. I'll try get some pics of that so future MTK builders will see what we're talking about.

Edit - Pics added. Originally cut at the trim line, but for the ears to fully cover the join, I had to move the ear back and cut here:

P1010855_zps3cde1c18.jpg

Edited by Sith Lord

Ok, progressed some more on the ears this afternoon. I think I'm happy with the fit of them. They will sit a bit closer than most shots show once the screws are done up (it's hard holding top with one hand, bottom with one hand and camera with the other)

P1010856_zps50410ce5.jpg

P1010857_zps7701b3e1.jpg

P1010858_zpsa3ec02c5.jpg

However, it's that right hand side pictured in my earlier post that is still causing me grief. See how far the ear goes inwards. Not much I can do about it now. You can see te pencil line where the 'offcut' of ABS starts. I've even trimmed well above this. I'll keep going and see what happens.....

P1010859_zps72d07fb6.jpg

P1010860_zps78790843.jpg

That ear is actually about 1/2 inch longer on the bottom than it needs to be. You can trim off enough to line it up. There may still be a small gap between the bottom of the cap n back and the ear but that will get covered up by the rubber trim depending upon how you assemble the helmet.

Thanks Mike. I'll trim the ears a bit more as you suggest. I know the armor (and helmet) isn't meant to be symetrical but I took some pics to show. First one, you get the idea that the back isn't even: 

P1010862_zps5af3f461.jpg

With some tape down the centre, next one shows approx 105mm to the left edge

P1010864_zpsa72fda7b.jpg

and approx 125mm to the right.

P1010865_zpsd8ed88cd.jpg

I wonder if it worth packing out the actual cap 'n' back, rather than trimming too much of the ear.

Edited by Sith Lord

Damn fine job on those ears. Don't worry about the gaps at all - they're accurate, and hardly noticeable when it's all put together. (Honestly, did you ever notice them in the movie before joining this nerdery?)

I actually left a lot more edge on the cap. After observing some of the guys at the Legoland troop here in Atlanta, I didn't want to deal with kids peeking up into my lid, so I left just enough for me to get my giant Asian melon into the bucket.

I did, however, have to trim a considerable amount off the end of that ear. I shaped them so they sit flush on the bottom. The rubber s-trim covers all of it fine. Looks like you have the same wonky issue on the left side ear as my lid.

MTK - any chance in the future that you can extend the base of the left ear just like the right one's excess?

Ian,

As bobby said, I wouldnt atke a whole lot off the back/cap or whatever, as mine is literaly pretty snug.  Mine just barely fits on with the mic and fans inside the bucket and I use the twist on method!  you can always go back after you got it all together and slowly take a bit of it out at a time in case your head needs more room.

Have you made sure your ears are high enough up the cheek, do they meet with the top corner of your s trim?