Doopy build...real Sterling folding stock

WTF? holy batman!

hold on robin... it looks like you're going to hurl?

it's ok batman.. I'm good... where is the joker?

he's in prison... just look at this blaster thread while I make dinner.

Ditto?

No idea what this means (lol!!) but I assume awesome or something along those lines. Looking good Steve. Would a large drill bit in a bench drill have sped up the gringing out process a bit? Can't wait to get mine......

I am just making a joke out of how steve is in front of me in so many ways.

the intention on my part was to do everything steve has done on this build.

so it's like robin looking at batman... I'm robin, and he's batman.

I was intending of doing all the aspects he has already done with the clip.

and I was considering going farther.

we'll see...

10 loops for the real thing... but who cares!

DSCN1173_zpsa5e80124.jpg

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Ditto?

No idea what this means (lol!!) but I assume awesome or something along those lines. Looking good Steve. Would a large drill bit in a bench drill have sped up the gringing out process a bit? Can't wait to get mine......

I am sure there are many choices to take out more material faster. However I realized my fear when the bit poked through the housing. And I was taking my sweet time!! The walls are being thinned to less than 1/8 inch. I just don't know if more and faster applies here. But hey! That is the new challenge! If someone can come up with a new mag housing that doesn't need to be trimmed or a sacrifice free way of trimming the doopydoos one have at it!!

Well I believe this might be the last mod/construction bit I need to do prior to paint. I started the counter bracket earlier but never finished it.DSCN1231_zpsb6c3b0ec.jpgI drilled the mounting holes and when installed, I like that it kind of blends in and isn't too thick.DSCN1232_zps782b3ff8.jpgNow to bend the extension and mark the screw holes. I needed to bend this a couple of times and was lucky it didn't crack like making Thermal Det. clips. The bend needs to be 90 degrees or the counter won't sit straight up and down. I didn't want the screws to be overwhelmingly big. DSCN1233_zps12d75bc2.jpgDSCN1234_zpsa8aa468e.jpgI assembled everything and like the way it sits.DSCN1235_zps883025a0.jpgDSCN1236_zpsb79594de.jpgLast mod!!!! (I think) The Doopys counter has the top screw location marked incorrectly. I sanded the location flat and filled the rest with putty.  I chose a screw that matched pretty close to an original. DSCN1237_zps9798f6df.jpgNext I needed to mark the proper location on top.DSCN1239_zps14edaa1b.jpgI t was kind of important to choose a drill bit that matched almost perfectly to the diameter of the screw head. I didn;t want much if any recess showing around the screw head.  I drilled the recess and the threads and installed the screw.DSCN1240_zpsf5f20614.jpgSome of you might be disappointed, but the mold of the screw on the face was good. With it being painted overm I felt no reason to make extra work for myself to replace a screw and have it look exactly the same if I hadn't replaced it. But, I did carve out the gap behind the top posts where the wires will attach. More soon. Thank you to everyone for following and your words of encouragement!! This had been a blast so far. DSCN1238_zpse1939ba8.jpg

WOAH!!!.....................I missed something. The magazine release button. I just cut a threaded stud and inserted it into the center of the round mark on top of the mag housing,.DSCN1243_zpsc5f0cc54.jpgI did the same to the button itself.DSCN1244_zps1f9687ce.jpgAlthough it threads on, I will give it a dab of glue just to be sure. Now that is done, everyone will move upstairs to get a bath!!! DSCN1241_zpsb212637b.jpgI haven;t found too many products that break down grease and other harsh chemicals and is safe for the plastic. I sprayed this on each part and gave it a gentle scrub with a chip brush.DSCN1242_zps6f4d4885.jpgThings are set aside to dry. Perhaps onto paint by the weekend!!!

Believe it or not, we actually have a specification at work for cleaning parts that will be used in oxygen service - hydrocarbons and oxygen go BOOM!  The specification calls for warmed Simple Green.  Smells good, doesn't melt plastic.  When you think the parts are clean, you give them one more wash with fresh Simple Green, then perform a "mirror test" - the used solution is dripped onto a mirror.  When it evaporates, there shouldn't be ANY residue left on the mirror.  Otherwise, you start cleaning again... :)

I think this improvement could be nice to add too :) :

13110810.jpg

(pic borrowed from T-Jay thread)

I thought about doing this and still might. However, the length of the threaded plug is a problem. If I drove it to look like the original, it would go into the mag well. I am sure I could cut it down, though. I'll look into it. Thanks Germain!

Another thrilling instalment Steve!

I haven't seen that scope in any threads I've looked at before. Clear? Anything special/usable/a mold?

A friend of mine has been developing these as a way to make a scope that you would need to paint like any other molded scope but being clear acrylic, you would already have the clear lenses. It's a great idea and works! He is not currently selling them or I would have posted something about it. I have told him to but he is so busy with other things.

A friend of mine has been developing these as a way to make a scope that you would need to paint like any other molded scope but being clear acrylic, you would already have the clear lenses. It's a great idea and works! He is not currently selling them or I would have posted something about it. I have told him to but he is so busy with other things.

I would imagine he would sell a few. Even if you can't see through it properly, the idea of light transmitting all the way through would have a good effect. Might have to consider the lens replacement and drilling through like a few others have done.

I thought about doing this and still might. However, the length of the threaded plug is a problem. If I drove it to look like the original, it would go into the mag well. I am sure I could cut it down, though. I'll look into it. Thanks Germain!

Hi Steve, just did a few measurements on the screw and the magazine port. The screw I used in the photo is exactly 10,0 mm long and the cylindrical part on the mag (including the triangular thing behind it) are 10,8 mm in total. The head of the screw (if you select 10mm) will not go into the mag.

By the way, a very nice and detailed build. Keep it up :duim:  

OOoooh thanks, TJ! I just might have to go get that now. Thanks!!! ............more mods to do! Paint pushed back.....again

I only believe that it can end, because other people have completed ones. LoL

The only way I would even consider making it move is if I carved our the bolt molded into the ejection port. Moving half the bolt would be goofy. The new bolt portion is anchored from underneath.

FINAL MOD, DARNIT!!!!!!

After close look at the allen set screw on the back of the mag housing, it is a pretty terrible mold.DSCN1260_zps9b9a9a81.jpg

It was necessary to get a new set screw.DSCN1261_zps94d94935.jpgI drilled out the old one and it was a good decision. It looks nice.DSCN1262_zpsc08b7dbe.jpgWELL SLAP ME A CALL ME PEGGY! It is time for some paint!!!!!!! I wanted to make on thing for certain first. Do the power cylinders clear the edge of the holster?? DSCN1263_zps9ca7dc96.jpg Now that the cylinders are marked, I can start the masking process. I will paint most parts seperate and do a final assembly at the end. this took some planning seeing as some parts get the crinkle paint I am going to use and some parts don't. It will be easier to paint the gloss black pistol grip with it off the gun than on. I need to hang things and stage it as not to touch anything.DSCN1264_zpsfe0d2db1.jpgDSCN1265_zps87fd589d.jpg It's primer time!!!!!0f66ab4c-dbd3-40dd-9d0c-ae13b0419f1e_zpsDSCN1266_zps9cd4d873.jpg

Hey Steve, nice to see you've replaced the allen screw ;). It's much better than the resin version!

Looks like you've done a pretty good preparation work for the paint job. Damn, wish I had such a nice hobby room - running my complete build (except painting) on the computer desk :wacko:

Hey Steve, nice to see you've replaced the allen screw ;). It's much better than the resin version!

Looks like you've done a pretty good preparation work for the paint job. Damn, wish I had such a nice hobby room - running my complete build (except painting) on the computer desk :wacko:

LoL...  I am envious of his workspace, too.

I do most of my work on the bathroom counter, because it is across the house from the bedrooms where my wife and son are sleeping when I do it.  If I'm doing something that isn't noisy, it might be the ottoman in the living room, or the island in the kitchen.

Looks great, Steve.  Mine will be goofy looking, as I'm making the back half of the bolt movable.  :D

Did your 7/8" spring fit in the barrel on it's own, or did you have to stretch it to get it to fit?  Also, what size is that allen screw in the magzine?  I almost bought one yesterday, but I didn't know the size of it.

Noooo... before painting you had one more mod to add...

Just kidding  :laugh1:! PAINT the darn thing!!

Edit: actually i don't remember: does it have an inner barrel?

Edited by The5thHorseman