Basic Hasbro Build with Doopey Conversion

I'm Batman

After seeing some great modded Hasbro's and some great scratch built and Doopey type builds, I decided I would do both. 1 - A very basic Hasbro build to start trooping with and when I'm ready to go EIB or Centurian I'll do up a different blaster. As I said, there's some great Hasbro builds with mods here and there, but I thought I'd document just a basic build gluing the Doopey parts on and painting and seeing how it comes out. That's it (I think, for now, maybe.....)

Left side plus Doopey kit

QTA4cvk.jpg

Right side

QTA4cvk.jpg

First step it to cut the tip off with a dremel. Take it slow and watch out for those wires. If you're not careful, it will end up a lot more than a basic build, or you'll have no light.

yVBQDGu.jpg

That's gotta go from underneath

N27P7Bt.jpg

Gone

EKOAxG9.jpg

I reckon I need to cut the scope along this join

uDgZAd8.jpg

Gone. They're the extra scope parts from the Doopey kit

9u7PhJq.jpg

My folding stock wouldn't sit flush on the bottom of the barrel, and meet up with the 'bolt holes' at the rear, so I had to cut a bit off the main blaster here:

qoaaD9k.jpg

5KtZiqI.jpg

Ok, maybe a bit more than basic build, Sanded off the writing at those two grey bits. Just lots of Hasbro/Lucas Film copyrighting stuff

zz4rTWe.jpg

And that's about it. Positioned some parts to see if they would fit and what it will look like. The Ammo box wouldn't go on flush, so had to dremel a bit out of it. Other than that, good to go. So lesson # whatever, test fit every part before applying glue.

tN8Qz58.jpg

More to come later

Everything glued. Two main parts that required putty were the scope parts

5GWNyP2.jpg

And the folding stock. It didn't quite meet up where the 2 parts joined

UwsxnWc.jpg

Sanded, ready for paint

Q7CArzB.jpg

Question though - I want to keep the holes open to see the red lights down the barrell. How do I cover them up so the paint doesn't get in? (I see why some people have completely pulled their Hasbro's apart). I wonder if I just spray on an angle, I could keep most of the paint out??

W4fitSr.jpg

On 2/11/2014 at 8:02 AM, Sith Lord said:

Question though - I want to keep the holes open to see the red lights down the barrell. How do I cover them up so the paint doesn't get in? (I see why some people have completely pulled their Hasbro's apart). I wonder if I just spray on an angle, I could keep most of the paint out??

Easy - Tissue paper!

XZB0WT7.jpg

And a coat of black paint after the grey primer. My matte black didn't turn out too matte. Still has quite a bit of a shine too it. Might just be able to scuff it up a bit with sandpaper, add some weathering detail (which will take me a while.....)

Or is it too shiny and I should find some new paint?

94srJaY.jpg

776jdcf.jpg

And I think she's done. Nothing too flash. The idea was to build a basic blaster. To show myself and others what can be done without actually doing too much. Basically a bit of glueing, only 2 bits puttied, and some basic dry brushing with Dark Metallic silver at the end. I did over do it in parts, so hit it with some sandpaper too. Now I have a super lightweight blaster ready for trooping with lights and sound that the kiddies will love. Full Doopy kit to come later.......

wpQXO2e.jpg

wpQXO2e.jpg

AOQoYql.jpg

1o9u6X6.jpg

B6E0VU2.jpg

Looking good Ian, there's nothing wrong with a basic blaster, lots of guys prefer them for trooper, lighter to hold all day and less can go wrong if it's dropped ;)

Thanks guys. Exactly my thoughts Glen.

Yep Tim. Works a treat. Nothing got through the tissue paper. Just had to touch up the blaster at the front muzzle light. After that earlier photo, I pushed the paper in all the way so it wasn't in the way of the paint being sprayed. Pulled it out later with needle nose pliers.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice modded blaster!  I bet the kiddos love it when it lights up and makes all those great sounds!  Can we get some "in action" photos? I am considering doing the double build like you are as well and I want to see the sweet lights etc. I want to get Centurion status eventually, but also have a fun blaster to take to large events with lots of kids. =D

Wow! That actually doesn't look half bad. If course, it looks better in the dark, but yeah. I have another question for you now... Do I have to buy that specific model of Hasbro blaster? I know the shape of all of the different blasters will accomidate the conversion kits, but I am specifically asking about that red light in the barrel. I noticed that there is a red tube in the barrel that lights up when you pull the trigger. Is that red barrel in all of the Hasbro guns? Thanks!

not 100%, but pretty sure it is. In Australia we got the black version whereas all I see everywhere else is the white version. I guess they're the same on the inside though??? Probably other hasbro build threads will confirm it.

Hello again Sith Lord!

Let me start by saying, your build looks great! I forgot to mention that in my first post. :blush: 

Anyway, I was wondering, did you move the LED that is usually at the tip of the gun, back to the rear on the barrel chamber? Its hard to tell from the pics if the LED is still in the tip of the gun. If that LED is still in the tip, did you add a second one to light up the barrel? 

Thanks!

Greg

Thanks Greg. I didn't touch the internals at all. So the LED at the tip is still there. Got a bit of paint on it until I realised to shove tissue paper down there, and I think there is one LED at the base, that shoots up a clear cyclinder.

• 3 months later...

This build is fantastic! You answered so many questions I had about the conversion. I did a Fett conversion which really just required a lot of cosmetic paint for my son. I wanted to do a hasbro blaster as the first step of a TK build. I had a ton of newb questions and your thread answered many of them! Thanks for posting this! I assume this blaster passes basic 501st requirements?

Thanks

Matt

Appreciate the comments Matt. Glad I could help. And yes, a basic hasbro conversion is fine for basic approval. You can get more accurate with drilling extra holes and more T-tracks but I didn't go that way. Anyway, a hasbro will never be ACCURATE. Good luck on your upcoming build.

• 3 weeks later...

My old Hasbro only has the light in the tip. Good to know there's variation between models. I'll get a new one for a conversion then

...so I got a new Hasbro blaster from Disneyland and it's the same exact toy (no light-up barrel like Fett's gun or Aussie E-11s) and they swapped the sound boards from the E-11 with that of the old DL-44. So I'm keeping my E-11 and DL-44 from 1996 and modding the new, silly-sounding, boring-barreled one. Weird that they changed them, eh?

Edited by charlesnarles