Mandalorian Deathwatch Supercommando W.I.P.

Yes, I know my Magma Trooper's not done yet! But working on that is a pain in the an impolite person, so I'm going to be working on something new until I summon the willpower to finish the TX.

Today's another brown box day, and I'd like to share with you all what lies within:

Eternal Armory's v 1.0 Deathwatch helmet kit.

1897925_10200558379482022_26888514_n.jpg

1618632_10200558380602050_490141923_n.jp

1619402_10200558381522073_1056097730_n.j

1891131_10200558381322068_1856794304_n.j

Size comparison to CAP Stormtrooper and Rubies Jango

1891080_10200558379962034_578160242_n.jp

This is the guy I want to emulate:

Mandaloriancommando4.png

Wish me luck!

Thank you Todd.

I've got some work done on the helmet done today. Here's my first attempt at weathering.
I used metallic silver for the base coat, and dabbed toothpaste on the spots I wanted to look like paint chips. I might re-do the hand print in a darker shade of gray, or maybe even a black. I used acyrilic paint for that so it should come off easily enough. Pointers and critiques always welcome
The paint drips on the left cheek are intentional.  :D 
1601998_10200569236393438_600692_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick bathroom selfie to show a little more progress (flipped the image to show what it would look like if it weren't in a mirror). Tidied up the "paint drips" and added a 5th black finger print-looking thing next to the handprint to match the reference picture a little more. Darkened the handprint with black acrylic and did a couple blackwashes to bring out the weathering a bit more. 
I'll have a visor installed tomorrow. I've got a lead on an armor kit which I'll be buying from a fellow garrison member within the next couple weeks.
imagejpeg_1-1.jpg

Thank you sir, I try my best.  ;)

I'm calling this helmet 95% done. The whole thing is clear-coated to protect the acrylic I have on there. I have the visor loosely installed with velcro, but I've yet to find a way to permanently hold it in place. Super glue doesn't work and I ran out of E6000 (but I doubt that'd work either). Thoughts from any of you Mandalorians who happen to be looking?

1069816_10200623495069871_126226320_n.jp

Shown next to a CAP Stormtrooper helmet for size compari -- actually, I just wanted to show off a little....now I have two helmets "ready" for trooping tongue.png

1/ Glue chicago screw halves inside the helmet next to the visor opening (make a small notch, place a half of the chicago screw inside and then fasten it with JB weld or a similar stuff),

2/ Make matching hole in the visor (of course you need the visor to overlap a little the inside of the helmet),

3/ Secure it in place with the other half of the chicago screw. 

Works also with normal screws and nuts too.

1/ Glue chicago screw halves inside the helmet next to the visor opening (make a small notch, place a half of the chicago screw inside and then fasten it with JB weld or a similar stuff),

2/ Make matching hole in the visor (of course you need the visor to overlap a little the inside of the helmet),

3/ Secure it in place with the other half of the chicago screw. 

Works also with normal screws and nuts too.

great idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Some stuff came in the mail recently... :)

Pictured is the WCA Deathwatch armor, with my Eternal Armory helmet (which needs a new, longer visor)

Ordered a Season 5 comm link from EA to attach to one of my gauntlets.

1959653_10200782097114823_1923319828_n.j

Shoving a Magma Trooper project under the rug so I can try and get this finished in time for a Mercs troop this June. This costume will be a first for the Mandalorian Mercs and 501st Legion, so I'm going to try my darndest not to screw this one up! 

Edited by SolidScrafty

Posting my latest update on the Supercommando chest armor paint app.

Clear coating tomorrow and starting work on the collar and shoulders!

CAM00675.jpg

This project is infinitely more satisfying than my trooper build. You all should go try building a Mando... it's actually a lot of fun trying to replicate all the little paint chips and scorch marks.

Edited by SolidScrafty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm more active on the Mercs forum, but I figured I'd post another update here. Thanks for the kind words, Evan!

I have a carbine from Woodchuck painted up and weathered. I don't think I sanded well enough on one side...you can see evidence of that near the end of the barrel. I'll have to revisit that later. For now, pics.

CAM00708.jpg

CAM00707.jpg

Knees, handplates, back plate, shins and cod are done.

CAM00694.jpg

CAM00692.jpg

CAM00691.jpg

Waiting for medical scrubs, a couple of Westar 35 pistols, a new T-visor, and a Season 5 wrist commlink to arrive in the mail.

• 2 months later...

I've made a fair amount of progress on this and thought I'd share with my FISD friends. As some of you may know, this is to be my primary 501st costume, with a TK Death Trooper (in progress) being the secondary. I have scrapped the Magma project.

Here are some pictures of the kit taken at PortCon 2014 in Portland, Maine. My Mercs clan wanted to see my kit in person - I warned them it would look incomplete but they didn't seem to mind  ;)

You'll notice there's some exposed velcro on my temporary sweatshirt vest. To be fair, I had to change without any help, not in front of a mirror...

With Kyram Sorenn, blaster borrowed from Mereel A'Denla

100_3499.jpg

With Jerek Darr - Wampa Clan Alor'ad

100_3498.jpg

Some solo shots....

10464386_716079085119310_675204336624843

Striking a pose

Deathwatch.jpg

So that about wraps it up for pictures of me. I wound up leaving my prepared scrub bottoms at home so I had to leave my knee and shin plates in the armor crate  :6:

A couple days later I received these in the mail. These are Eternal Armory's v1 resin DW pistols, bought secondhand from a garrison member.

10467907_260619297465202_505833852_n.jpg

As soon as I have a proper vest, I can get my plates attached correctly. Just gotta do that, attach some square boxes to my belt, and build a jetpack.

The jetpack will have to wait a few months. Sorry for the long post  ;)

Edited by Shel'la Tracinya