Giving a Jedi Robe Kit What It Deserves...Death Trooper!

Sanded my blues away. Went back over with greens and blacks. Not sure how I feel about it. After a few tweaks I at least have the armor consistent with color and texture. I have to admit I am color deficient , so, I am usually heavy handed with color. Hence the blues before. Now, I think the greens are too much.... I am seriously considering starting over. Didn't think a DT would be so challenging , starting to thing otherwise.

When you weather the armor, the pigments do not show up in a photo unless they are emphasized . I think my problem lies where I put on too much pigment, because i can't see color that well, and in photos, the colors are always lighter than they are. I will post pictures later. My last set needed some adjustments and I need to take other photos with the new changes.

• 2 weeks later...

imagejpg6_zps23d716dd.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsd23687bd.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsd11fa2ef.jpg

imagejpg5_zps2a69ce1b.jpg

imagejpg3_zps3a85686a.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsaedab37e.jpg

imagejpg9_zpse2441356.jpg

imagejpg7_zps62d99452.jpg

imagejpg10_zps05e28905.jpg

imagejpg13_zps1fa6e019.jpg

imagejpg8_zps159766ff.jpg

So Here is a bit of progress. coming along. Not sure about the Green, but my GML likes it, so, we must be on the right track. It is pretty cool, and it is growing on me, kinda like an infection.... lol. 

Thanks for looking guys and gals. please leave me any feedback , good or bad. I would really appreciate it.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Better than the blue but yeah a bit too green. I wouldn't do a repaint on it but tone it down in some places. The shade is nice there's just alot of it.  I realy like what you added to that right aerator though. I may steal that. ;)

Better than the blue but yeah a bit too green. I wouldn't do a repaint on it but tone it down in some places. The shade is nice there's just alot of it.  I realy like what you added to that right aerator though. I may steal that. ;)

Thats what i thought on the green. My GML said its great.... Not sure, i mean, It's green....  Honestly i will be glad to get past this, this one was not so easy. Alot of things to get right, and not alot of reference material. 

Thank you guys for the input. it helps alot.

I don't have anything constructive to offer, but this is one of the best Death Troopers I've ever seen. I'm thinking about scrapping my disaster of a Magma Trooper project and converting it to a DT, and using this thread as a reference.

Edited by Tovall Kyr'tsad

Thats what i thought on the green. My GML said its great.... Not sure, i mean, It's green....  Honestly i will be glad to get past this, this one was not so easy. Alot of things to get right, and not alot of reference material. 

Thank you guys for the input. it helps alot.

Thats just my preference. There is no one right way to do this and I think you did a fantastic job overall.

I don't have anything constructive to offer, but this is one of the best Death Troopers I've ever seen. I'm thinking about scrapping my disaster of a Magma Trooper project and converting it to a DT, and using this thread as a reference.

Thank you sir. I worked really hard on this kit to over haul it like I did. The internal components were totally reworked. The kit was completely torn apart and assembled properly. The rig was completely hand sanded and painted , a couple times actually. One thing I can say is true, when you hear that it is more work to make a JR kit approvable, it is no joke. I still have a way to go with this thigh, so, lets see where it leads. It can only get better.

Thanks again or the compliment , that's awesome.

Thats just my preference. There is no one right way to do this and I think you did a fantastic job overall.

Thanks Joseph, it's been fun doing this at the same time with you. Yours is pretty cool too man.

• 4 weeks later...

Added some light effects, why not, had some Halloween lights laying around. Some Red in the Cheek tubes, and a greenish light coming from the inside shining out the broken eye piece. adds a cool element and attracts the eye.

imagejpg2_zpsb6e10547.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsda623e53.jpg

Getting ready to finalize the paint and go for approval.  :jc_doublethumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

So...can we get a kit that wouldn't get 501st approval, and work it into a DT?

I'm a little confused here, so bear with me. Are you saying that the Jedi Robe kit wouldn't get 501st approved as a normal Stormtrooper? I've heard of a few cases where JR kits were modified to pass for basic approval. Jason did these mods and took it a step further to zombify it. I bet he could've gotten it approved as an ANH TK if he really wanted to.

Now if we're talking about Rubies, I can't imagine one would ever get it approved as a DT without spending a crap ton of extra money and effort doing so. You won't be saving money or cutting corners going for an under-par kit. If you already have a JR suit and want to get something out of it -- yes, converting it to a DT can let you do just that. Just make sure the armor fits you and it's put together structurally as a normal TK would be. Jason has this nailed down pretty well.

If you have a kit from a respectable maker, but you've made mistakes during the build (broken pieces, bad paint job, exposed glue, etc) then the option is there to convert to DT and possibly still get it approved. This is the case with me and my ATA armor, only mine is still in progress.

I hope I answered your question  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Photos

So Close I can smell the infection...

imagejpg1_zps9b8d69d5.jpg

imagejpg3_zps7a422dbb.jpg

imagejpg2_zps648fa00c.jpg

imagejpg2_zps6cfd5f25.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsc8beeda0.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsaa2730d2.jpg

imagejpg5_zpse7850dc8.jpg

imagejpg6_zps90772bbb.jpg

Going to add some Grays and a yellowish color similar to the desert death troopers.

Getting Close. 

this one has some enhancement...

imagejpg1_zpsba5ebf6c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So...can we get a kit that wouldn't get 501st approval, and work it into a DT?

A deathtrooper needs to essentially be an approvable TK with the addition of the weathering. You still have to have quality armor, assembled correctly.

That being said, there are some defects you can work around. Say you had a crack in the armor or yellowed plastic that might block a clean TK... you can work that it into the weathering. The Deathtrooper CRL was written to try to prevent people from using it as an excuse to be lazy, while still allowing for reusing armor that may have outlived its usefulness as a standard stormy. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back, not that anybody missed me, but, I have been busy. Added a khaki overtone and some other highlights. Taking submission photos tomorrow , should be ok! I will post my pics of the completed DTK soon. I am pretty happy with the colors, the armor has the look and feel of old bones! Long journey. I will have my makeup and contacts in for submission. With the light effects I added, you can really see the eye well.

Photos soon!

good work pal, I like how every single one of us DT's are completely different unlike our TK's that are all the same. We really do have a chance to make it our own.

Yes Sir, I think so too!

• 1 month later...

okay , in for approval. very close my GML tells me. Here are the submission photos. I also gave the kit to my oldest son for his birthday and am hoping he will makeit into the legion. Thanks for all the support from FISD. 

imagejpg3_zpseac6f1b3.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsa0c10f38.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsadf318ef.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsb816af32.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsd068e278.jpg

imagejpg2_zps28ea5525.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsc0b6662a.jpg

imagejpg1_zps0ce1dbd7.jpg

imagejpg4_zps0c0be4b0.jpg

imagejpg2_zps0081e9dd.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3ef9966f.jpg

imagejpg3_zps981ef336.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsde872aa8.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsa45a9fb2.jpg

imagejpg3_zps56c105c1.jpg

My Son, James.

imagejpg4_zpscfee8262.jpg

imagejpg2_zps883f7113.jpg

James and his girl Jenny, They are expecting a baby in 2015. Due date May the Fourth!!!! yes!!!

imagejpg1_zps21b24e2f.jpg

Ha, Love these Guys....

imagejpg5_zps52668d66.jpg

Thank You fellow troopers for all the support. I love being a part of this group. I know i haven't been around much, or for very long, but i have learned alot from you guys and gals. I want you all to know i appreciate it. Long Live The Empire and The First Imperial Stormtrooper Detatchment. 

Thanks For Looking! :smiley-sw013:

Overall I think this suit looks pretty good.  You've done a nice job beating the heck out of it, and the weathering is nicely-done as well.  It could use a bit more of a greenish tint to everything.  Other than that, the only thing I really see is perhaps the thighs could be brought-in a bit to better fit.  I really dig the exposed drop box innards.

• Like 1