Argh - time for new ears?

bzb

I got a little crazy with the snips (word of caution: don't work on the ears when you're exhausted)

GKh8l7Q.jpg?2

Can this be saved, or do I order a new one?

As above :D. Use a pencil and draw around the ear, you can then see which parts are needing trimming. Just sand a little at a time and keep checking :D

Germain has your solution really close. Just remember that what you trim from the front will affect the rear and vice versa. Go slow. You gap is on the outside of the cheek so you will need to trim the ear against the faceplate to close that gap.....like Germain and Glen pointed out

Thanks all.  I'll work on it some more this afternoon - I was afraid I just wasn't going to be able to get the gap over the tube even close.  

Really appreciate the drawing Germain!

Screwed in the top two screws.  Have to really squeeze the bottom to get it this flush.

FRONT

Gjc4vRH.jpg

REAR

eHQNMXd.jpg

If I don't squeeze it, it looks like this:

F57SMqn.jpg?1

Is it correct to squeeze it before drilling the bottom hole?  My concern would certainly be the screw digging into the ABS over time.  Or should it lay flat?  

You can still shave a lot more on the rounded section of that ear, this way you shouldn't need to squeeze them as much:

----------

And of course, work a little at the time and check frequently the back of the ear too

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It's an MTK kit.

Kept shaving and checking, and this is what I've ended up with.  Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for their help and tips.  Folks aren't kidding when they say this is the most difficult part!

zyzNBaq.jpg?1

3Yhr5Ax.jpg?1

That is very acceptable. The ears don't have to fit perfect and some actually strive for the level you are at. Now I would make your teeth a little less "twinkie" shaped and a little more squared off.

So I went ahead and did the left ear - and this ear has indentations from the mold that follow the line WAY closer than I was getting by estimating.  It's a good 1/4 thinner than the right ear, so looks like I got some more trimming to do on that one.  Thanks again for everyone's help.

gpEX0iY.jpg?1

Oh noes - just saw your post gaz!  So now do I need to order a new left ear?  :laugh1:

And hey, I thought everyone loved Twinkies?!

Edited by bzb

Thanks for the photos - those really help.  Unfortunately, I botched the second one due to overconfidence, and ended up mounting it skewed.  So after fixing it straight, it's far too thin for me to adjust :(

I ordered a fresh set from MTK... so it's off to the strapping system for me :)