Jump to content

Batphobic WIP TK


Batphobic
 Share

Recommended Posts

You actually end up going sort of behind where you think you're actually cutting to get the teeth squared up... hopefully that makes sense.

 

I feel like the eyes could use some cleanup. I ended up using the hobby knife to do the finish the eyes because I still wanted some of the jagged edge to it rather than a sanded look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But now I need some HELP! 

 

Is this right?

 

I've placed the brow where I want it. Clamped it. But look at the second picture -- are the bottoms supposed to match up like that? Do I trim any of that first?? 

 

I don't I've ever seen how the bottom matches up on any build thread.

 

12373281875_910fe814f3.jpg

12373276915_6b592beb08.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I looked at these references plus some others and just kept filing them down. I think they're looking good.

 

I also reinforced the hovi mic area with a tip from Ground Pounder (Brian) -- canvas soaked in E6000.

12373744304_f650344e66.jpg

 

Great work on the teeth and reinforcement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... But look at the second picture -- are the bottoms supposed to match up like that? Do I trim any of that first?? 

 

I don't I've ever seen how the bottom matches up on any build thread.

 

12373281875_910fe814f3.jpg

12373276915_6b592beb08.jpg

 

Don't worry about that. I've met the same position when fit the face and back. Just follow the brow position and right/left trapezoid to the ears position. The thing is that the ears will cover this point. When you will jont the face, back and ears with screws so then go to bottom trimming. It could be easily aligned "in-line" by dremel or rough sandpaper and then hided by rubber trim. Just do not touch it before you screw the face, back and ears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are happy with the brow placement then don't stress about the bottoms not aligning. Once it is riveted you can carefully try and even the bottom out but (as stated above) the bottom parts of the ears will cover that. Plus the s trim on the bottom can cover a little of that as well.

 

9CDA226A-48D7-4063-9E3E-9A6C3600470D_zps

Here is the bottom of my unfinished AP. I will end up trimming a little more off the bottom to get closer to the bottom of the ear, s trim will easily cover the rest.

Edited by ground pounder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are happy with the brow placement then don't stress about the bottoms not aligning. Once it is riveted you can carefully try and even the bottom out but (as stated above) the bottom parts of the ears will cover that. Plus the s trim on the bottom can cover a little of that as well.

 

9CDA226A-48D7-4063-9E3E-9A6C3600470D_zps

Here is the bottom of my unfinished AP. I will end up trimming a little more off the bottom to get closer to the bottom of the ear, s trim will easily cover the rest.

This is helpful. Thanks Brian. 

 

It also shows the difference between AP and ATA. Very different all around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

OK - after a long absence (destroyed one set of ears and set it aside and got distracted with my T21 blaster build)... I just finished this up last night. Pics below still represent several weeks worth just working on it bits at a time.

 

I'm posting the good, the bad, and the ugly. But I'm really happy with how it turned out.

 

So, after being reassured by everyone here that the bottom of the face and the cap/back was as expected (thanks for the feedback, everyone) I drilled and riveted the two pieces together:

 

12448138555_f6e0285492.jpg

12448144265_90317f1c6c.jpg

 

And here you can see the results of not leaving enuf plastic when trimming the ATA - I had no room to put a rivet in the bottom. Had to E6000 it:

12448150065_383cc337b8.jpg

 

And then reinforce it on the inside with some E6000-soaked canvas:
(the red dot is from the clamp which is red... guess the E6000 melted off some color from the clamp)

12448304383_3239402b50.jpg

 

Like I said I trashed one set of ears by trimming off too much. So second set I took my time. Just cut a little bit off at a time... maybe half-a-dozen times going back to trim a little more off.

12448280023_1cd17f3915.jpg

12870232904_74c077f058.jpg

 

Still more... lots more:

12870238264_732b37423e.jpg

 

Then installed the lenses:
12869813445_9671ea0492.jpg

 

And... Then done. I wish I had pictures of my progress painting but I got anxious to finish up.

 

I used Trooperbay's "Move Along" Decals and they're AWESOME. Super easy to put on (using the tutorial video on the site) and I think they look amazing. Way better than what it would look like if I painted it.

12926076115_ee8300a8a3.jpg

Edited by Batphobic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...