Doopydoo's E11 blaster kit build

I'm about to start my Doopy E11 kit build. Something I can get my teeth into while I make my final decisions which armour and helmet kit to go for :)

My kit is on its way, I've had the 'dispached' email from Doopydoo's so Im expecting delivery before the end of the week! I can't wait!! There are so many wonderful build threads here that I've been scanning through in great deapth! I thought I'd start my own and share some of my experiences and hopefully pick up some awesome tips from all you guys and girls along the way!

So, the kit should be here soon. In the mean time, I've got hold of an awesome Hengstler counter from Dennis (TK-50101 Blue Snaggletooth). Its in great condition and arrived super fast to the UK from Germany. I've been looking at it since it arrived :)

post-19929-0-55872700-1390384737_thumb.jpg

I'd like to try and find an original scope for this build too. I've been looking around. But nothing suitable has cropped up yet. If anyone out there knows where I can get a scope from or might have one to sell then please let me know :)

I'll post some more when my kit arrives and I get cracking with the build!!

• 2 weeks later...

Its taken me a while to get started with this build! Ive spent quite a while staring at the pieces and reading and searching. I have been quite busy with it over the past couple of days though so I thought I would post some progress.

First thing I noticed as I started working on the muzzle was that it was the wrong shape. Has anyone else has a doopy kit that looked like this?

post-19929-0-27213500-1391307020_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and file it down. I used ZeroRoom's fantastic Sterling templates from his thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16705-the-best-sterling-templates-ever/

They were a great help and by the time I had finished and added M6 bolts, it looked like this. A mixture of dremeling, filing and wet and dry sandpaper! Im pretty happy with the results

post-19929-0-02938900-1391307345_thumb.jpg

Also in this picture you can see the front sight. I used a small flat head screwdriver bit for this which I filed to the right shape. I was still working on it in the above picture and don't have great photos of it yet. I'll post better ones later :)

I decided to do a bit of work on the folding stock so I dremeled away the resin from this part and inserted a piece of aluminium tubing

post-19929-0-96715500-1391307732_thumb.jpg

Then I filled and sanded it with epoxy putty and bondo

post-19929-0-28126600-1391307953_thumb.jpg

I wanted to add a bit more detail to the underside and be able to see a bit more through the holes in the stock. I think it worked out ok.

post-19929-0-28076900-1391308399_thumb.jpg

For the magazine, I drilled a 6mm hole and then mixed up some epoxy putty which I pushed in behind the hole to make the floor plate release button. I had read about making the button in this way in dm101's great build thread

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19872-dm101-doopys-e11-blaster-build/

I marked out the OFF and arrow and then carved them with the tip of a needle file :)

post-19929-0-80818900-1391308649_thumb.jpg

post-19929-0-34652200-1391308697_thumb.jpg

Thats all the pictures I have at present. I got a bit too carried away with the build to stop and take pictures! I will take some and post more later. So far I have also painted the folding stock. I sprayed it silver first then hit it with a hammered black spray. Ive also glued the majority of parts together on the main barrel. Ive been working on a working trigger and selector switch too :)

Looking good, Anthony! You're off to the races! Keep at it, and you'll be done and looking good in no time!

Looking good so far :D

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I haven't had much chance to do a lot more today with the build apart from spraying some parts with a primer coat.  I took some more photos though of parts I have worked on.  As I mentioned, I'm getting a little carried away with the enjoyment of doing this build that I keep forgetting to take photos while I'm making!   :)

Here is one from the other night, gluing the magazine/ receiver in place.

2011-1.jpg

I drilled a hole in the grip and then drilled a smaller hole which I tapped and screwed in a real M6 bolt

20140202_111305.jpg

For the selector switch, I drilled a 4.5mm hole and then tapped it to 5mm and screwed in a piece of M5 studding.  

20140202_111236.jpg

With the selector switch glued to the end of the studding it can be turned

20140202_111251.jpg

Heres a better close up of the work I did to the front sight.  I used a small flat head screw driver bit and filed it down for this.

20140202_110547.jpg

And from the front

20140202_110624.jpg

I wanted to make the trigger functional too :) and read in SorenM's great build thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24823-another-doopy-doos-e-11-pimped-build/ how he had used the spring from a pen.  So I drilled out a hole in the trigger and grip and slotted in a spring from a pen I managed to find in the house :)  I'm using a piece of 2mm steel wire as a hinge which I will cut to size and glue in place

20140202_111328-1.jpg

20140202_111404.jpg

20140202_111500.jpg

I have already pre painted the folding stock.  I primed it first, then sprayed with silver and finally a hammered black spray.  When this had dried fully, I very lightly sanded it just a very little with a fine wet and dry sandpaper (1200 grit, i think).  Not enough to really remove any of the black, but just dull it down a little.  I'm pretty pleased with the results.  It looks pretty metallic :) The stock still needs some weathering but I will do this all together.  

20140202_111942.jpg

So far I have primed the main body of the gun and the small parts such as trigger, guard and selector switch.  I'm going to paint the main body and these small bits separately and assemble them properly after.

Heres the main body all primed and drying out in my little workshop :)

20140202_114214.jpg

I'm not too sure how much i will get done during the coming week.  The next big job I want to tackle is making the scope rail :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looking good!

Can't wait to see it finished!

Looks Great!

Looks awesome!

Thanks for the nice comments guys.  I haven't had much time recently to work on the blaster.  I've been cracking on with it this weekend though so here's a few more progress pictures :)

I've sprayed up the main body and all the small parts now.  

DSC_2714.jpg

DSC_2715.jpg

I fixed in the trigger with a spring and made the hinge from a piece of wire that I super glued in place.

DSC_2716.jpg

Then fixed the trigger guard on with epoxy.

DSC_2720.jpg

For the folding stock, I epoxied it in place and then set a screw into the front end to fix it and filled over this with bondo.

DSC_2723.jpg

DSC_2724.jpg

I also painted up my real Hengstler counter (thank you Dennis)   :)

DSC_2731.jpg

I made this scope rail also from strip of aluminium.  The front end slots into a vent and the rear will screw down to the rear sight.  

DSC_2737.jpg

Next on my list is to make the bracket for the Hengstler.  I managed to get hold of a real M38 scope through ebay, which I'm waiting to arrive.  Hopefully it will come during the week so I can set it up with the hengstler and fix it to the blaster!  :)  There's still quite a big to do list after that but I'm excited about how my blaster is looking!  Its keeping me busy until I'm ready to order my armour kit at the end of the month  :lol:

I was going to work on the Hengstler bracket next, but decided to work on the Bolt return spring and charging handle instead. Here's an update of todays work :)

I found a piece of dowel that I cut down to size so it would run the length of the barrel to the point where the bolt should stop. Then I thickened up the bolt end with a piece of ABS plastic heated up and wrapped around the dowel. I fixed it in place with super glue. Then I gave this whole piece a coat of black spray paint (hammered and then flat black). In this picture, the piece that has been cut out of the dowel allows for the space needed inside the body of the blaster for my scope rail to slot inside.

DSC_2743.jpg

This is how it looked when I had inserted the dowel into the body of the blaster.

DSC_2746.jpg

DSC_2748.jpg

I had been a little concerned about making the spring but I found it ok. I just wrapped some wire arount the same size dowel, using quite a few pictures of Sterling SMGs for reference. I had to adjust it slightly once I got it off the dowel. Once it was inside the blaster I was pretty happy with the result.

DSC_2750.jpg

DSC_2752.jpg

DSC_2754.jpg

For the charging handle, I just sanded it down so it fit inside nicely, drilled a small hole, put in a pin made from the same wire I made the spring from, drilled a hole into the dowel in the right spot and superglued it in place.

DSC_2759.jpg

DSC_2760.jpg

I wanted to raise the level of the bolt past the charging handle to make it look like it lined up with the part that is cast into the main body of the gun. I know other people have done this with doopy kits because the thickness of the resin makes it look set too far back from the rest of the bolt. I think it looks better this way when the level is cheated up a bit.

So I cut out two strips of 2mm thick ABS plastic to the right size and glued them together.

DSC_2762.jpg

DSC_2764.jpg

Then I added another strip of plastic to make the detail that needed to line up with the rest of the bolt.

DSC_2765.jpg

Here it is as I tested the fit.

DSC_2767.jpg

After a quick lick of black paint, I superglued this piece in place and then painted both parts of the bolt with a steel humbrol acrylic paint. I'm pretty happy with the results:)

DSC_2778.jpg

DSC_2780.jpg

I also gave my scope rail a test fit :)

One of the last things I did today was to give the t tracks a coat of flat black to make them stand out differently to the rest of the blaster. I had used a hammered black spray for the rest of it, so this didn't look right for the t tracks.

DSC_2781.jpg

DSC_2783.jpg

I think it makes a big difference :)

The very last thing I did today, was to test out a bit of weathering. I painted the blaster in layers - primer, silver, hammered black, flat black. I tested a little bit of chipping away at the black so the silver shows through. I will eventually do some dry brushing also when I come to weather the finished blaster, but I like this method of chipping away at the paint. You just have to be careful not to go to heavy otherwise you just chip away down to the bare resin!

DSC_2784.jpg

DSC_2787.jpg

DSC_2793.jpg

Thats it for now. I need my scope to arrive so I can fix that on and the Hengstler. I can't wait!!

Hammered black looks very nice  :)

And nice work on the inner bolt, seems really good

Thank you Germain. I'm pretty pleased with the hammered black paint. I think it adds a nice texture to the blaster and I'm hoping it will tie in with the paint on the real scope I have comming :)

:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  I bet that scope and counter give the blaster some nice center weight. Added realism!!

They sure do :) feels nice! Its on to the armour build next! Ordering my kit at the end of the month...I cant wait to get out trooping!

:jc_doublethumbup: Brilliant, AnthonyLooking forward to the armor build!

Thank you Tim :) Still a few things to do before its finished. Im on the wait list for a set of Andy's

Screen accurate powercells :) Im going TM for my kit. Can't wait to get started!