NE Build (with a few questions)

Hello.

I have started my NE build.   Although I have built armor before, I want to get as close to Expert Infantry as possible while building.

I have inlcuded pictures of the work so far.

photo11_zpsa756e4a2.jpg

Left bicep with cover strip

photo21_zps9920a225.jpg

Shin be glued together in the front with an inner strip - the length is pretty much sized - the width is not and will be done on the back.

photo3_zps471cfe16.jpg

Thigh being glued together with an inner strip - again, roughly sized but adjustments will be done in the back.

The inner strips were glued with E6000 on one half and left to cure overnight.  This is the next step - attaching the fronts.

photo4_zpsacfc422b.jpg

Other shin marked for length

photo5_zps0e71ffa3.jpg

Cut and edges sanded

photo12_zps1d4d96dc.jpg

FIRST QUESTION

photo31_zps69c29357.jpg

Here is the AB plate with the button pieces that came with it laid on top.

photo41_zpsc2facadb.jpg

Here is my finished MAGMA AB plate - I cut ALL of the ridges off the button pieces and laid them on top and secured them.

Is this correct?

There seems to be a lot to take off on the button pieces.  If it all comes off, why is it there in the first place?

So does it fit over the raised sections on the AB plate, or do you cut them out and glue them on?

I think the way I did it on my MAGMA armor is correct - although a bit sloppy!

More to come as I work on it...

Thanks in advance for your help!

UPDATE

photo13_zps9e5ec037.jpg

Shin with finished cover strip

photo23_zpsdb4ec890.jpg

Other shin

photo32_zps3cea8651.jpg

Shin back with velcro

photo42_zpsd6930686.jpg

Shin back with velcro closed - top edge needs to be cleaned up a bit

photo52_zpsde33083b.jpg

Thigh with cover strip

photo14_zps03ed23ef.jpg

Back of thigh being glued shut

photo24_zpse20b26b5.jpg

Finished bicep with cover strip

photo33_zpsacfabe7d.jpg

Forearm with the inner strip being attached - needs more clamps!

QUESTION:

(I should've taken pictures)

The kidney plate seems to flare up (or down at the edges) Is there a correct side to attach to the cod or which ever way it seems to go best?

Thanks!  I appreciate feedback!

I'm not familiar with NE to know if the kidney has a correct up or down. Both configurations appear to show a return edge at the top which would be  a good thing.

Mic tips look good (though I'm only EIB).

You could trim up the ab button plates a bit. Just fine tuning the edges really. I went for flush on mine, but they're still a little rough.

Overall it's coming along nicely!

Great progress!

The kidney plate should have the bigger return on the top where the bak plate meets. The kidney and butt plate should be flush and only appear as a line but sometimes depending on how your let fits it might cover it. Judging from the pictures it appears that the "A" one is the correct one.

The mic tips look about right.

Keep us posted!

Find the notches on your kidney plate and trim those out. Then align them downwards. NE fails to show this, or tell you to trim them out, but you should.

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

What Locitus said!

For the button plates, this is how they should look like:

DSC_0313.jpg 38et.jpg

I am a bit concerned about your shins, if you are aiming for Centurion or EI, the back must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method, overlap is not allowed... And they seem to be closing more to the right than the middle? 

Yours:                                                                                                             
photo42_zpsd6930686.jpg

What it should look like: (make sure they close facing inside)                               Right leg: (Closing facing inside) <---

DSC_0141-1.jpg DSC_0143.jpg

Hope that helps...

Edited by Rawgee

So how do I velcro them closed in the back (which is the only way I'm going to get them on) with the butt join method?

Do you have a cover strip glued on one side and have the velcro on the other (inner side)?

Yes - they are off the the side when closed : (

Thanks guys!

Find the notches on your kidney plate and trim those out. Then align them downwards. NE fails to show this, or tell you to trim them out, but you should.

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the "notch" - I'm not clear on what I'm looking at in this picture. More explanation please! Sorry!

Cool.

I'm not sure how I missed this but the NE kidney plate seems to have the notch...

photo44_zps060bbf5f.jpg

And cut...

photo54_zps3cfd0239.jpg

I am intentionally leaving on the extra material on the sides as I am rather round (translation big fat guy) and will probably need to shim the sides to eliminate or reduce the side gap.

A bit of other progress....

photo16_zpsefd6763d.jpg

photo35_zpsa962045f.jpg

Clips

photo26_zps24e92d8e.jpg

QUESTIONS:

How do a close the back of the shins with a butt join and still leave them open-able (is that a word?) to get my leg in?

I have big calves and cannot slip them over my foot.

I see that overlap is not allowed for Centurian but appears to be okay for Expert.

Is there a good link to a helmet build - perferably a NE since it has 3 pieces instead of 2 - I've watched and read a few but none with a 3 piece design and want to know if there is a go-to  doc or vid for this.

Thanks again guys!

Those snap plates are small. You may need to make backers in order to glue them. You can't glue metal to plastic because of the possibility of heat buildup during the curing process. It may warp the gluing areas.

Those snap plates are small. You may need to make backers in order to glue them. You can't glue metal to plastic because of the possibility of heat buildup during the curing process. It may warp the gluing areas.

I didn't think of that....  I've always made them this small and have had only limited success with them staying put.  I usually e6000 the heck out of them and clamp the ends so the plastic is glued to the the plastic of the armor but they "bow" a bit the middle.

By backers do you mean just another piece on the back?

I'll make them bigger in the future.

Thanks

Have a look at some of the other helmet builds, the seam on the side will be covered by your ears so make sure you sit them where they will eventually end up :D

QUESTIONS:

How do a close the back of the shins with a butt join and still leave them open-able (is that a word?) to get my leg in?

I have big calves and cannot slip them over my foot.

I see that overlap is not allowed for Centurian but appears to be okay for Expert.

Did you get your shin/calf issue worked out? Not sure about the velcro method, but a lot of people are using the hook in the hole method. Check this troopers build thread (a little bit down on the first page)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24295-ata-anh-stunt-build-lets-see-how-this-goes/

Edited by Sith Lord

First "test fit" and discovered a bunch of issues.

Shins are too long and can't bend my legs....

Need to cut the clips on the det as they stick out below the belt.

Need to "narrow" the ends of the thigh (at the knee) to fit better.

IMG_2960_zpsd59b52f8.jpg

Need to fix the biceps - they are too big around after all - and need to add straps to the should bells so they sit in the correct spot.

IMG_2961_zps63fb187c.jpg

Adjustments to back so it doesn't pop under the kidney

IMG_2962_zps41e7c8e1.jpg

I agree with your assessment.  It also looks like your sniper plate needs adjustment.  

Yeah the sniper plate is basically falling off in the pictures because it bumps into the shins.

Yeah the sniper plate is basically falling off in the pictures because it bumps into the shins.

That's what I suspected.  That will be an easy fix then.