A Small, Slightly Beat-up, Brown Box Arrived Recently. Doopydoos Full Resin ANH E-11 Build.

IMG_0088_zps82daaea9.jpg

This actually arrived on Thursday, while I was at work. I was in a meeting and was handed a phone message from my wife, by our Operations NCO. The message simply said "Call me at home when your meeting is over." No big deal, I thought. I get that message at least twice weekly. When I got back to my desk, I realized that my cell phone had a message so I checked it. It was from my wife, and it said:

"Your blaster kit is here. The box is wide open. Only God knows if all of the parts are here. It's a freaking mess."

So with about 45 minutes remaining in the work day, I became very preoccupied and useless. I spent those last 45 minutes trolling through Doopy threads here at FISD.

I've shared this picture, as I finally remembered how to do so, which allows me to have a build thread. I'll begin to add to it tomorrow evening, I believe. Thank you all in advance for your insight, critiques, and previously shared experiences and inspiration. I'm excited to finally have a build thread of some sort, here at FISD. Enjoy the show!

Edited by Dark CMF

I put one together if you run into trouble, just ask if you need anything.

I did use a good, 2 part epoxy to glue it together, no problems so far.

Good luck!

I didn't do a full tutorial, but I explained a few steps with pics of the finished product.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20515-tk-4584s-full-resin-doopy-doos-e-11/

A  certain, white envelope with some black gloves isn't far behind :)

Yay! Thanks, Karin! :D

And, of course, thanks to everyone else for the awesome words of encouragement. No new BUILD stuff today - but I have two point five days worth of build photos to share and comment on, so I'll get right to that now...

IMG_0091_zps84dbcb11.jpg

Another picture of the box, showing the angle that really had me worried. When I got home I just wanted to open it immediately and conduct an inventory, but the first two to three hours at home are spent with our two year old son, Kellan. So, I waited patiently until he went to bed before I did...

IMG_0096_zps196b026b.jpg

Prepped for the inventory. I have DM101's beautiful build thread open and waiting on my laptop, to use as my "inventory sheet" since no documents come in the box - and I had already learned that from the countless build threads I've read so far.

IMG_0097_zps61c6c2f9.jpg

This is what was in the box. Three loose parts, and a zippable bag filled with what I was hoping was all of the rest of the parts.

IMG_0098_zps30281cd5.jpg

Fortunately, yes... All of the parts were there, so my beloved significant other had indeed, inadvertently caused me a minor anxiety attack at work where I am in a position of authority. Nobody likes to see a grown man cry, and I was only close to doing so, so no harm, no foul. ;)

The parts arrived with a lot of dust and release agent/powder on them and as I've learned from all of those build threads - you need to wash them before you do anything else. Rather than simply go and start playing, I knew (being an acutely aware husband) that a bit of housework before-hand would go a long way in this regard, so I did what made a lot of sense at the moment...

IMG_0099_zps9405dbec.jpg

I did some dishes!

IMG_0100_zpsb1d8ea6b.jpg

I didn't say I did a LOT of dishes. I said SOME. Anyway, with the sink cleared of dishes - it was time to clean Doopydoos E-11 parts...

IMG_0101_zps8d9677b8.jpg

Getting the upper receiver cleaned and ready...

IMG_0105_zpsab2a4f7f.jpg

A smile from England!!

IMG_0102_zpscc0ae3f2.jpg

and... The rest of the parts get their bath, too.

IMG_0106_zps6fa31c13.jpg

All washed up, with nowhere to go - except into a room where a two-year old can't get at them.

That's the "work" for day number one. I'll post up day number two shortly. :) Thanks for following along.

For the record, I have no fewer than 12 build threads opened up in tabs on my computer (to include yours, Mark - which I will be looking at when it comes time to paint, for sure. Great job on it!!). They've been there since Thursday evening, and should remain there for the foreseeable future, until I have mine at the very least partially assembled. I'm kicking around some ideas for my bolt carrier group. Mostly derivatives of previously used ideas, but possibly with different materials - which I'll explain a bit when I post day two sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

Edited by Dark CMF

Germaine, I was pleased to see that as well. It also included a D-ring, as you can see, which I was not expecting. I'm not sure how long ago that started, but that was nice to see.

The only things that do not currrently ship with the kit are the rail/bracket, and the wires! Oh, and directions! :)

Edited by Dark CMF

Yeah, they provide this d-ring since quite some time but it's a really cheap one. As Karin i wouldn't advise you to use it ;)

The Doopy also comes with no "magazine clip pin", a tiny piece which goes along the magazine, would be great if they add it in the kit in the future.

Oh, and please don't put any "-e" at the end of my first name, it makes it becoming a female name... and a very old-fashioned one  ^_^

Excellent news!  (Thanks again, Karin!) 

Fortunately, I've not yet begun assembling anything.  I'll post my day 2 progress pictures tonight, though.

Germain... sorry about that.  No idea why that happened, aside from me doing it.  It won't happen again.  ;)

I'm planning on making a magazine clip, but I'm not sure what I'll use yet.  I'm kicking around a few ideas, like so many others...  LoL.

I didn't recall seeing the D-ring in Craig's (DM101) build thread so I was hoping to make sure that everyone knows it is there - but I will agree (as I have handled a weapon or two that have D-Rings on them during the past 20+ years :D) that the one supplied is rather flimsy, slightly mis-shapen, and would not be up to the task in a real-world situation.

Edited by Dark CMF

So. Day #2 began with some shopping!

IMG_0107_zps9340b7d3.jpg

Lots of fun stuff here that I thought would/should/could be useful in the build, so all of it came home with us!

IMG_0108_zpseeb0fc81.jpg

Started by drilling the 1/8" dimple in the end cap out with a 1/8" drill bit.

IMG_0109_zps9a8a0a18.jpg

Just another look at that particular piece of work. First thing I did, because it seemed pretty simple and "fool-proof." It was exactly what it seemed, simple and - so far as I know at this point in time - fool proof.

IMG_0111_zps9fb038d8.jpg

Next, I took a 3/8" drill bit and drilled out the resin-cast "cap-head screw" in the base of the pistol grip.

IMG_0113_zps71704dbd.jpg

Looks like it ought to fit...

IMG_0112_zps493c72a3.jpg

Now, to give it a test-fit. Looks like it will be alright.

IMG_0115_zpsad100934.jpg

Next is the resin-cast "cap-head screws" in the tip of the muzzle. (Apologies, as the camera clearly focused on my hand as opposed to the barrel)

IMG_0116_zps21f60a38.jpg

One side drilled out, also using the 3/8" drill bit. This one, was far trickier than the pistol grip. There wasn't (as you could see) a clearly defined "inside" hole to use as a basis for centering the drill bit. I found that it was best to take a smaller bit and drill a "guide" hole to a very narrow depth. That way when I did start drilling, it was... let's say it was less difficult and leave it at that.

IMG_0117_zpsa8e9eb26.jpg

Something like "Rinse, Lather, Repeat" for the other side.

IMG_0121_zps62e8927d.jpg

I had taken some "in-progress" pics of this process, but it turns out that I had removed the memory card from the camera, so I don't have them to share. I put the cutting wheel on the rotary tool, and put the screws (in turn) into a clamp with the thread in the clamp and the head of the screw left free and clear to be reached with the rotary tool. For the first one, I "lumberjacked" it... Cut half-way through from one side, and then went to the other side to finish. After the first one, I just went straight through from one side to the other, all the way across. It seemed to me that the second way was much more efficient.

IMG_0120_zps454a802b.jpg

From left to right, the first, second, and third screw heads. You can see that the first one has the slight burr in the center where I cut from both sides.

IMG_0122_zps2b67cecf.jpg

Lastly for day #2, I drilled out the "extra" holes in the bottom of the barrel. Yes, they WILL be almost completely covered by the folding stock, but if I do decide to make the stock partially functional, or to ultimately replace it with a functioning one, this step will be completed with no risk to my inner barrel (which I will discuss more later, but can be seen in the "shopping" photo) being drilled out in the process.

That's it for today. Day three pics will be posted up sometime in the next 24 - 48 hours. Then I'll actually have to do some more work, or I won't have anything else to share with all of you. I can't leave you hanging like that, so I'll do some more work. ;)

Please, let me hear any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or critiques that you may have at this stage in the process, and as it continues.

Thank you.

Edited by Dark CMF

Thanks, Germain.

Oddly enough, mine are Hex screws but they do have a circular opening on them.  I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some like the ones in your picture. 

Thanks!!