White armor 3D modeling

Hi all,

here is Lorenzo from Venice - Italy.

First of all please forgive me for my bad english. I'll try to make my best to be inteligible.

Here I'll share my step-by-step attempt to make a white armor in 3D (NURBS). I hope in a huge amount of suggestions, to make at least a "quite good" result.

There's no other reason I'm doing this but passion and recreation. Maybe in the future I'll use these files to build an armor from CNC moulds but now I have literally no money to do that, so let's keep it virtual.

Please feel free to tell me anything in your mind about the project, I'm a complete rookie on this.

Let's go with the first pictures

post-20010-0-93018800-1389354038_thumb.jpg

This is a file I've found online. It belongs to a 3D scan of somewhat helmet. For now I don't care about what helmet it is (model, make, version, whatever).

My goal is to make a rough 3D file (it'll be something at least), and then apply the needed modifications, dimensions and so on. With your help, I hope.

The only modification I've applied is on proportions. Following this thread I'd make it stay inside a cube of 30.5 cms (12"). In addition I'll make 2.5 mms smaller on each side, so when I'll use it to make a mould (maybe never...) I'll keep the right dimensions on the vacuum parts according to the plastic sheet thickness.

post-20010-0-37016200-1389354037_thumb.jpg

Here are the first surfaces made (top and rear). The easier ones, obviously.

Edited by elleerre

First questions, doubts:

- could a CAD scuplt be considered a "fan made sculpt" once completed?

- I'm aware there are "symmetrical" and "asymmetrical" helmets. Are both 501 approved or only the "asymmetrical" (or "movie accurate") version is good? I've just read this, but the question remains...

Edited by elleerre

Hi! cool little project you have going there. I'm going to follow it with interest.

Regarding your question both types of helmets are accepted and I'm guessing the idealized one would be the best choice for you since it seems a lot easier to just copy one side.

Welcome to the fisd BTW  ;)

Edited by TheKido

Thanks TheKido.

With both accepted, I'll prefer the simmetrical one, then. So I could build only half then mirror it...

Thanks for following, I'm planning to go on a little again this evening, and to start the nose/cheeks section.

The most difficult part is the front/vents as it attaches on lateral "tubes". I'm looking literally thousands of pictures and I'm still not sure how to make it right, mostly how much to smooth it.

:)

Edited by elleerre

Welcome to FISD! I'm not sure how creating a 3D model and printing it (or making a master) is in the end different from sculpting from scratch, when it comes to acceptability.

part of the admiration of the TK armor is it's human style sculpt.  I would advise against mirroring, since the original helmets

all have this wonky human aspect.

making an idealized helmet has already been done... and when you look at it... after being in the hobby for a while

it just does not look right!

I vote for making the helmet look like the originals did!

When I first started looking into this I thought that a symmetrical helmet would be the obvious choice, once I had learned the originals were asymmetrical it didn't seem right to me and I thought I wanted idealised.

After a while I realised I was wrong :D 

This is a thing sculpted by hand and eye, the asymmetry is part of it's beauty, this was confirmed to me 100% (although by then I was in no doubt whatsoever anyway) when I first held my TM faceplate in my hands and started cutting out the eyes, I had to stop myself over-exaggerating the eye bump which is what I found myself wanting to do.

If you ever do move onto producing armour from your CAD designs I think you'll have more interest in something that mimics the originals as closely as you possibly can than in an idealised armour. I'd suggest leaving symmetry to the clones but it's just opinion and it's your baby, it'll be an interesting project to watch however you go about it :)

Welcome to FISD! I'm not sure how creating a 3D model and printing it (or making a master) is in the end different from sculpting from scratch, when it comes to acceptability.

I think so, but I'm not as expert as many of you and on the other hand I'm sure that the asymmetric handmade result has a "warmer" feeling.

Edited by elleerre

making an idealized helmet has already been done... and when you look at it... after being in the hobby for a while

it just does not look right!

This for sure is a limit of mine, for now. :)

Imperfection stays at the opposite side of CAD but I like challenges... forcing a CAD to make something imperfect could be considered an art form as sculpting?

:D

When I first started looking into this I thought that a symmetrical helmet would be the obvious choice, once I had learned the originals were asymmetrical it didn't seem right to me and I thought I wanted idealised.

After a while I realised I was wrong :D

Probably within a year I'll follow your path...

If you ever do move onto producing armour from your CAD designs I think you'll have more interest in something that mimics the originals as closely as you possibly can than in an idealised armour. I'd suggest leaving symmetry to the clones but it's just opinion and it's your baby, it'll be an interesting project to watch however you go about it :)

Believe me, in these days I'm thinking about it, but I'll need a more detailed 3D scan, to follow it precisely. And it will take a LOT of time to make a "handmade" wonky scuplt with NURBS.

I want to thank all of you for spending two minutes to share your opinion. As I'm new here nothing is granted.

Besides, these days I've sent an e-mail to ATA, RS and TM... They'll for sure build one faster than me. Oh no... I'm sliding into the dark side of asymmetry...

;)

Edited by elleerre

• 2 weeks later...

Project paused.

I understood I have A LOT of things more to know and discover about this world, so, before to make any mistake it's better to stop here.

Thanks to everybody, for now.