Haribon72's ANH Stormtrooper NE Hero Build

Haribon72

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the build this evening.   Last weekend, the family helped me build a duct tape mannequin of my upper body.    This is going to help me visualize the center of the armor.  

IMG_9546.JPG

Question:  How would I add a proper extension piece for my sides?    I know I have to cut the extra edges from the kidney and butt plates.     Don't mind the blue dot.  Its painters tape that I use as a snap marker. 

IMG_9547.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

I would put half a shim on each side and make sure the split between them is centred.

Agreed

Also think about trimming the bottom of the ab plate so it corresponds with the corner notch on the kidney plate:

img_9510.jpg

And if you decid to shim the ab plate then wait for it to be done before setting the upper snap.

NOTE:   

This shim pattern is no longer acceptable.  Please do not follow my shim example below.  Its no longer acceptable.  I will try to update this post when I get the chance. Thank you!  04/08/2016.

Hey guys, here are some pictures of the shims i'm working on.   Can you advise?  The shim width is 3"(inches) between the kidney and abs.

IMG_9672.JPGIMG_9674.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

NOTE:   

This shim pattern is no longer acceptable.  Please do not follow my shim example below.  Its no longer acceptable.  I will try to update this post when I get the chance. Thank you!  04/08/2016.

IMG_9675.JPGIMG_9678.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

Yes I'll trim off the flares definitely.  But are my shims okay? I had taped the shims to the abs and kidney before I glue them down. I wanted to make sure i'm doing it right before they become permanent (gluing them down to the abs plate).  

Edited by Haribon72

NOTE:   

Tonight, I made a white cardboard template of the shim (right side of the ab and kidney plate.   Please let me know what you guys think before I construction it.    I don't want to mess this up.   Thank you.

IMG_9679.JPGIMG_9680.JPGIMG_9681.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

You should trim the flare off from the sides of the ab plate.

As you can see here, there should be no flare like that:

gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg

The NE armor is very different that the original armor.   I'm doing my best to make it screen accurate but now i'm stuck.   So I hope my template above will work.  Please let me know your thoughts.   Thank you. 

I'm not an expert regarding shims,

but if do them like that the side seams (i guess you plan to use the one between the kydney and the shim) will be far toward your back and so the male snap and the split rivets will be too.

Here i would rather hide the seam line between the shim and the kydney plate (with ABS paste, etc), and keep the one between the shim and the ab plate, then the side split should be more centered.

Thank you Germain.  I will start again this coming weekend.  I found the talk thread on the home made ABS paste.  I will come up with something clever for the shims and then post my results. 

• 2 weeks later...