Diana's RS Props Build- ANH Stunt

ARrrghh! So sorry Diana! I meant 'PRICELESS'...!!!!

As far as the engineer - you know you have a great mechanic for your armour there 24/7. 

Either way - props! 

Wow Diana. What an inspirational post. I just spent the last week reading your build and all I can say is wow! I'm in the process right now building my RS and use a lot of your pics for reference. The first cuts are the most nervous ones but as you go along you start to imagine where it goes. I couldn't imagine having to fit everything the way you had to. I would have probably thrown my hands up and said nope! Koodos to you.

PS I probably won't be able to work on the cod piece without a smerk on my face from all the funny comments posted. LMAO

Wow Diana. What an inspirational post. I just spent the last week reading your build and all I can say is wow! I'm in the process right now building my RS and use a lot of your pics for reference. The first cuts are the most nervous ones but as you go along you start to imagine where it goes. I couldn't imagine having to fit everything the way you had to. I would have probably thrown my hands up and said nope! Koodos to you.

PS I probably won't be able to work on the cod piece without a smerk on my face from all the funny comments posted. LMAO

Ah, if you are looking at your cod with an all new appreciation, then my work here is done.

As someone on the boards here once said, the best part about armor is it gives us the right to talk about our cods with abandon.

• Like 1

You are the cod queen!!!

This got a laugh hard enough for someone in public to ask wtf was so funny.

That was me who enjoys the freedom of saying butt and cod.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Diana,

Thanks a lot for your post. It has been really useful. I have been reading and looking the pictures for the last two months while I was assembling mine.... the armor was not really designed for a women  :laugh1:  :laugh1:  :laugh1: but we did it!!!

Happy new year!!!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Holy bukets! This thread!
Being very noobish, must admit to feeling slightly daunted, both at the amount of work I see you put into your armor, and the brown box that recently arrived at my doorstep.

then I read this post:

In the beginning, LadyinWhite advised me to "throw up, and then get trimming." So, feeling a bit overwhelmed just makes you like everybody else.

And I smiled and got trimming.

Thank you for shareing your journey, friend.

Hi Diana,

Thanks a lot for your post. It has been really useful. I have been reading and looking the pictures for the last two months while I was assembling mine.... the armor was not really designed for a women  :laugh1:  :laugh1:  :laugh1: but we did it!!!

Happy new year!!!!  :)

Hi Almu-

No definitely not.  But, oh, what fun you can have once the armor is finally done.  It is so worth it in the end.  Congratulations on getting it done.

Holy bukets! This thread!

Being very noobish, must admit to feeling slightly daunted, both at the amount of work I see you put into your armor, and the brown box that recently arrived at my doorstep.

then I read this post:

And I smiled and got trimming.

Thank you for shareing your journey, friend.

Words of wisdom if I ever heard them.  And, of course, measure twice and cut once.  As you know from reading the thread, we made our fair share of mistakes, but every one of them was fixable.  There was no "armor disaster" that could not be overcome.  All the resources are here on FISD and about the greatest group of people you could ever ask for to help get the job done.

• 3 months later...

HELLO... IM NEW AT THIS... AND I SEE A LOT OF 501 TRADING CARDS BUT HOW CAN I GET MINE... I SAW YORES AND THERE ARE GREAT.. IM TK11161... CAN ANY ONE HELP ME? IM FROM SAN LUIS POTOSI, MEXICO

Shhhhh.... Jorge.  You're shouting.  I can hear you all the way from California.  (That's my teasing way of saying take off the "Caps Lock" when you type.)  So, hello there, TK 11161 and I'm pleased to meet you.  Glad you enjoyed my cards.

To answer your questions, depending upon your garrison, you have a choice of a couple of different style cards: 1) Garrison Cards. 2) Detachment Cards. 3) 501st/Legion Cards.  (And, there is nothing saying you can't do all three if you want to go all card crazy.)  

I opted to get the FISD (Detachment) cards because my mentor, Kyle, advised me that Tray does an amazing job with them.  I received my cards very quickly and love them.

You can get in on Series 4 here.  As of today, there are 47 spots left:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/60-fisd-trading-cards/

Send me one of your cards when you get them done, OK?  I collect them. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So much awesome in this build thread. Not only do you share the build process but you are also sharing a little piece of your life with all of us recruit types. I'm of the financially challenged lot, but have been gratefully blessed with a benefactor who went all in on the new Anovos armor. I'm waiting for box day and reading and reading and reading some more.

I also want to say that if this thread isn't pinned it should be for no other reason than the fitting for smaller troopers of both sexes.

Thanks for sharing your adventure it was great following it and learning some things.

• 9 months later...

Hello All!  

I've been wanting to provide an update for a while, but admittedly it was a busy year.  My TK ended up seeing a great deal of action in 2015, but held up beautifully.  Not a single crack and I was out trooping most every weekend.  I was also XO of the garrison for a year, which kept me busy.  Things have quieted down for a bit, so I wanted to touch base again with everyone here and say hello.

Kevin Doyle, of the 501 Mile Walk, came and stayed with me on his journey down the California Coast and then back up again. I was amazed at the things he could do in his armor, such as sit down in my Prius, or walk 40 miles a day, or sleep in his armor.  So, I asked him to take a look at my armor, and he suggested some modifications.  He said that my armor "fit me better than 99% of the armor he'd seen."  But, he did still make some suggestions and the advice proved very helpful.  His tips are summed up in this YouTube video.

But, it basically comes down to making very small modifications.  It is amazing how much you can improve the fit of the thighs and the shins by taking off very small amounts of plastic.  Then, go out trooping.  Give it a try.  Then, try taking off a little bit more.  He stressed not to take off large amounts.  It is those minute modifications that can make a huge difference.

My ability to go up and down stairs (which was already pretty good) has improved even more thanks to the modifications.  And, I can even (more or less) sit down in my armor now.

Kevin also suggested I cut my cod.

Of course, you folks here on the boards have been suggesting that for a while, but for some reason, the first time I heard the term, I took it literally to mean "trim down the codpiece."  It made no sense to me, because I thought I would lose all the detail on an important piece.  So, I didn't do it.  Kevin showed me what it looked like on his armor, where the cod was cut and suddenly it all made sense.  Oh.  Cutting the cod is more like a C-section for a stormtrooper.  It still took me another month to get the courage up to do it.  

But, I did cut it.

And, my once famously big cod, has finally been tamed down to size.  Here are a series of photos which were taken by our garrison combat photographer in November.

IMG_6157_zpsgrp3zwcg.jpg

Ta da!  My once famous cod.  Now tamed down to size.

IMG_6148%201_zpseji4gwd1.jpg

This was one of my favorites from the pictures of that day.  I might be little, but I'm fierce.

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I greatly enjoyed perusing this thread. It a good read and I enjoyed the adventure. When I saw The Tech display, I felt right at home and then I saw you are in Gilroy!

I grew up in Gilroy. Small world. :) 

I greatly enjoyed perusing this thread. It a good read and I enjoyed the adventure. When I saw The Tech display, I felt right at home and then I saw you are in Gilroy!

I grew up in Gilroy. Small world. :)

Michael,

Great to hear from you and I'm glad you enjoyed the thread!  My TK number, TK-95020 is based upon the zipcode in Gilroy.  This year, we finally added a few more troopers in Gilroy and I started a "handler training program" and just trained someone in Gilroy into the program, as well.  Nice to be able to finally get more folks way  here in the Outer Rim where I live with my family.  I always see folks with the Star Wars stickers on their car, but it was just a question of connecting with them.

I see that you are in Germany.  My Mom is from Bavaria.  I ended up in the newspaper there in Germany a few months back.  I guess it appeared all over Germany, because all of my relatives kept sending me the link.  This one is from my cousins in Passau.  http://www.pnp.de/mobile/?cid=1898927

• 1 month later...

Diana,

I just ordered my first armor and I have been doing the usual research which is required of assembling the armor properly and to the highest possible level. I ordered the Blackhole Trooper/ Shadow Trooper Armor from Walt's Trooper Factory as he also makes childrne's armor as well. I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for my 8 year old Son "Austin" who has inherited my Love of Star Wars as well. I just wanted to say thank you for everything you have posted throughout your build as it really helps me understand how things a fitted to different body types. This is something that I have found very difficult to understand without visual references which a lot of the FISD forum lacks. I am a visual learner as opposed to reading something and understanding it. I am planning on hosting a armor building party soon to hopefully get some good advice from local Troopers on my build. I happen to work in a fabrication shop where we have a wealth of tools available to us. I am hoping the tools will come in handy while building the armor.

But, Once Again, I THANK YOU for your build tutorial thread as it has help me tremdously in understanding how to build my armor which has not yet arrived. I am looking for it within the next few weeks and I look forward to the process....

Hi Diana, just finished reading 21 pages (holy frak) and your build is amazing. I am looking forward to building mine. I booked marked the thread for reference and thanks for so many pics to refer to. Oh, and my cat is looking forward to the brown boxes lol

• 3 years later...
On 12/17/2013 at 3:29 PM, AsBlondeAsLuke said:

Ah, that explains a lot.  Thank you.  I think I should start referring to you guys as the "fountain of collective wisdom."  So, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why did they bother changing the suits at all from movie to movie?  I mean, why move the holster from the left to the right and other such changes?

Check out Davesdarksidedepot on Facebook for armor. He's is Florida and an Armor Master. 

• 1 year later...

Hello All-

I wasn't sure whether to post this under my original thread or under the "Belts and Other Soft Parts forum." But, I am having issues with the bendy bendy parts of my armor as my RS Props armor is getting older.   Over the past three years, I've been developing cracks in my shoulder straps, belt and smaller ones in my butt and beloved cod piece.  The belt seems to have taken the worst of it as this is the piece that gets snapped on and off repeatedly. The belt has developed numerous little cracks that I have shimmed and added ABS paste to again and again. But, I'm worried the whole thing is going to cave in like a sink hole.

So, I contacted RS Props to ask them to send me a new ammo belt thinking it would be as easy as trimming it, popping off the old and adding in the new one.

Eh, not so fast there.  Here was the response. 

>>You purchased from RS originally? This may be a problem, with it being from so long ago we cannot guarantee the ABS will match as it does change over the years. It will be a slightly different colour.

Ah, now while I'm disappointed, I'm not too surprised. A garrison mate gave me their spare ammo belt a year or two ago, but I haven't figured out a way to use it yet as it it a different shade of ABS.  

https://imgur.com/s41lCbR

Any ideas? I know I'll eventually have to replace the whole kit, but other than the micro cracks, I still like the look of the whole kit. 

image.png

• Like 1

We have had a few troopers locally with RS and a lot of cracking, very thin plastic so it will happen over time. I know of another recent case of someone with RS purchasing replacement parts and them being very different in color.

Recently I colored some U trim to match RS armor as the shade of white this particular set of armor was very cream compared to a lot of other makes. It was a case of eye matching and mixing the paint until I found the right shade then it was applying the paint, of course you also have to check the color when it dries as it can change a bit. 

To me the only option would be to either paint or try to find replacement parts from another armor maker, but again this would be difficult as the color variance can happen with other armor makers too. 

I'd order the belt from RS if they are willing to supply it at a reasonable cost. Get it and then evaluate if its close enough in color.

Seems like it should be passable. If not, you could get away with painting that one piece rather than the original kit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the advice @gmrhodes13and @fragarock. Greatly appreciated.

I have decided to take both of your guidance.

RS Props is sending me another belt and I've started color matching some ABS scraps. By finding the right color paint this will allow me to paint the ammo belt I already have from another armor maker. Between these two options, hopefully I'll end up with a nice backup belt.

https://imgur.com/a/0ZkCQyu

image.png.5cca7876a70cb5d3978d87df2edfdf42.png

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke
  • Like 4

Forget the colour discrepancy, no one will ever notice , just build your new belt and troop on . After the first troop you will have forgotten there's a colour difference . 

Sound advice if I've ever heard it! Thanks so much, Rob!

My husband has been trying to convince it's time to retire the armor and get another set. But, I do love this armor. It just looks so amazing when I wear it. Thanks again.

• Like 2

Hi Diana,

Yes, ABS colors vary quite a bit. Sometimes even within the same kit! My hand plates are stark white while the rest of the kit started egg shell and now UV weathered a shade of "misty tan" as I like to call it.  But yes, I too agree if it's just the belt, chances are no one would notice the shade variance. 

Go for it and and continue to do what we do best - make our fans Happy to See Us! :duim:

Edited by toybiz
typo
  • Like 1