Diana's RS Props Build- ANH Stunt

(bowing) I'm not worthy.

Ah, and not to change topics just when we've won Steve over to our ribald sense of humor, but just wanted to make sure everyone saw J.J. Abram's challenge today to the 501st?  Reposting it here simply to spread the word.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152630343079214&set=vb.109162604213&type=2&theater  Took a few minutes today to answer the challenge.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pitiKe4fpMM&list=UUKHteoghaTkXe0KrfAA4DGQ  Other garrisons have been doing videos as well, and passing on challenges.  SCG did a great video with a callout to Mary Franklin at LFL, which she already accepted.  https://twitter.com/marylfl/status/501157997385510912.  Our great founder did a video as well.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152684587630917  So, just a little nudge to encourage folks to give a good showing on behalf of our Legion.

Diana, What a fantastic build thread. I have read through the entire thing over the last couple days. It has been a positive, informative and entertaining time. I am still in the research phase of finding out what armor I want to get but will be sure to reference your build when I do. My daughter want a set as well and your build will come in especially handy when we do hers. Thanks for the great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana, What a fantastic build thread. I have read through the entire thing over the last couple days. It has been a positive, informative and entertaining time. I am still in the research phase of finding out what armor I want to get but will be sure to reference your build when I do. My daughter want a set as well and your build will come in especially handy when we do hers. Thanks for the great read.

Hi Matt- Glad the build thread was helpful to you.  Not sure how old your daughter is?  But, no matter what the age, you should get her involved in the build as much as possible.  She will need to learn to care for her armor and do the inevitable emergency fixes on troops.  Plus, what daughter doesn't want to learn how to use a Dremel with their Dad?

Hi Matt- Glad the build thread was helpful to you. Not sure how old your daughter is? But, no matter what the age, you should get her involved in the build as much as possible. She will need to learn to care for her armor and do the inevitable emergency fixes on troops. Plus, what daughter doesn't want to learn how to use a Dremel with their Dad?

She's 12 so she has a bit more growing to do. We are worried if we build one for her she may grow out of it. She loves the idea of building it and is willing to help do it.

She's 12 so she has a bit more growing to do. We are worried if we build one for her she may grow out of it. She loves the idea of building it and is willing to help do it.

She will surely outgrow it in a few years, especially at 12, she's probably going to grow fast for a few more years at least.

Build on enow, and resell it when the time comes. There is always people buying used suits here and you don't lose money either.

She will surely outgrow it in a few years, especially at 12, she's probably going to grow fast for a few more years at least.

Build on enow, and resell it when the time comes. There is always people buying used suits here and you don't lose money either.

I don't know why that never crossed my mind. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

You screwball, Mark!

That made my day.

:P 

It is a shame to let all of that unused storage space go to waste.  There are so precious few places to stash something on a TK suit.  I mean, you can't really fit a pair of keys or a cellphone in one of the drop boxes.

It is a shame to let all of that unused storage space go to waste.  There are so precious few places to stash something on a TK suit.  I mean, you can't really fit a pair of keys or a cellphone in one of the drop boxes.

It's easy access... just don't want to let anybody see you getting to the extra storage! :)

You screwball, Mark!

That made my day.

:P

I wondered when anyone would get that! Hahaha........ :laugh1:

It is a shame to let all of that unused storage space go to waste. There are so precious few places to stash something on a TK suit. I mean, you can't really fit a pair of keys or a cellphone in one of the drop boxes.

Unlike mine that's really tight for space. I can't fit anything else in down there. :P Edited by sskunky

I wondered when anyone would get that! Hahaha........ :laugh1:

Unlike mine that's really tight for space. I can't fit anything else in down there. :P

OK, just doubled over laughing.  Although, I seriously don't know where I'm going to put that new Aker system.  I am either going to have to stick it in the backplate or return it.  (I haven't tried it in the cod, but judging from what I can remember from my high school geometry, the two shapes aren't going to work.)

So, today after I adjusted the rivets on the left side of my armor, it made everything fit better.  

Here's a few pics on PhotoBucket showing the changes I made from beginning to end to move the rivets.  It was the first time I Dremeled on my own.  It was fun.  I looked it up on YouTube.  I decided I like the Dremel.  Very much.  http://s974.photobucket.com/user/dianawolftorres/library/FIXING%20RIVETS%20ON%20THE%20LEFT%20SIDE

Ah, but just as much fun as Dremeling, was testing out the armor to see how the strapping fit.  I headed upstairs to look in the full length mirror, and suddenly realized, I could easily walk up stairs.  So, I decided to do a stairs test in the armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpmdVAQzXQI&list=UUKHteoghaTkXe0KrfAA4DGQ

It became more of an exercise in trying not to trip over the dog in armor, but this was a good and valid test of stormtrooper skill, too.

As promised, here's a compilation of what I learned from the time the brown box arrived to when I finally achieved my end goal of becoming Centurion.  It took nine months from beginning to end.   Yes, it just hit me that's the same time it takes to create a baby.  (Er, not create one, but you know what I mean.)  

Top Ten Things I've Learned From Building My Armor

by TK-95020

10. There are no stupid questions.  

9. Research, research, research.

8. Take the time to do a build thread.  You can’t rush building armor.

7. Admit when you've make a mistake.  Take pictures of it, so you can get help fixing it.  Odds are somebody did the same thing.  Or worse.

6. Armor disasters aren't armageddon, (although it feels like it at the time.)  Go to bed.  Sleep on it.  Start again.

5. Armor doesn’t come with instructions.  It’s not furniture from Ikea, (although it is equally as frustrating to assemble.) 

4. Your body is different from everybody else.  You need to get creative to make the armor fit the body that is uniquely and beautifully you.

3. Take your time.  Do not rush what is supposed to a very enjoyable process.  This is like remodeling your kitchen.  It will take three times as long and cost three times as much as you think.

2. Pick the easiest first troop you can to test out your armor.  It will be glitchy and nothing at all like walking around your house.

1. Your armor is never done.

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke
  • Like 2

Great list Diana :) Lots of very good points.

The number 3 especially talks to me at the moment as i remodeled a bathroom this summer and i went from an estimation of 3 weeks top to over a month and a half to finish it ^^

Thank you Diana...

Your journey definitely embodies some if not all that every TK builder experiences. Some are better at conveying this into words than others. Thank the Empire that you were genetically engineered as a writer or all would be lost to the Cosmos.

I know I for one enjoyed following your journey as every step along the way felt as if my hand played a part in the build. (except anything that involved the cod as I respect your husband too much)

But reaching Centurion has brought a wonderful close to your first series in your journey to the Dark Side...

Can't wait for your next installment...

Adam

Thank you, Steve, Germain, and Adam.

Adam, I love that you were able to work in a final cod joke.  I think that is very fitting.

Speaking of fitting, here is a "before" and "after" picture just to thank everyone for standing behind me every step of the way. :salute: 

revisedimage_zps13486d30.jpgresizethisbastard_zps77545528.jpg

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke
  • Like 1

"Behind" ......cod talk.......thank goodness there is no possibility of any of us growing up. Awesome!

Grow up?  Never!  Spent the past two days helping another woman work on her armor for the first time, (a generic clone.) We did as much laughing as we did working, but managed to get a great deal accomplished in the end.  Having fun definitely helps the process along. :)

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

• 2 months later...

19 Pages of awesomeness !!! Diana, thank you so much for sharing this journey. As someone just getting into it, I was impressed with the extremely thorough way you and your husband approached this build. I plan on using it as I go forward. Too bad you're 2k miles away, as I might be inclined to abduct the 'engineer' for some 1st hand advice. BTW, you never did mention if he ever made the leap over to the dark side and picked up his own armor. Thanks again, for a fantastic post !!