Diana's RS Props Build- ANH Stunt

This is a treat Diana!!! Such great progress and a great mod job. Sorry we didn;t catch that shoulder bridge issue before you glued it in place.

A couple things I noticed while we are on the subject of paint. Your ab buttons seem really small. You might want to touch those up. Second, the pinstripe around the helmet details can be daunting without the proper brush that I don't see pictured in your brush cup. It has always been a benefit to me to use a long bristled (3/4 inch long) thin brush. It will hold the width of the pinstripe better than trying to do it with a tiny short bristled brush. It will hold more paint and allow you to make your overall strokes longer and more even. Practice first on some scrap plastic. Draw a pencil line and follow it. Do this until you are comfortable with your technique. But I believe the brush is crucial.

Steve, you're too good to me.  An excuse to get more paintbrushes?  Sweet!   

My ab buttons came pre-painted from RS.  Not sure if this is standard because I noticed in his build thread that Steve (WideAMG) received unpainted ab buttons from RS. I'll head out this morning and find a long bristled, 3/4 inch long, thin brush, as per your advice, to do the pin striping.  Thanks for the tip.

Belt is much more difficult to assemble right than what we would expect from it. It's really easy to screw up this part. At the time my brother built his suit i wrote a tutorial for him, and it ended up making almost 2 pages without being fully complete  :56pullhair:

dsc_0422.jpg dsc_0423.jpg

And i'm so pleased you finally decided to handpaint your helmet. I'll be honest, when i saw you used decals i cringed, but then i saw you removing them and get the brushes and i'm happy now  :)

And don't worry i developped an OCD too when painting. It was to always fully check the helmet twice or three time after each pain session, to be absolutely sure i didn't make some unnoticed fingerprints on it and to not let them dry.

I was surprised the belt proved so challenging.  I thought it would be an easy, last minute job.  Our alignment issues with the snaps on the belt came about because of tension due to the ammo pack.  When we originally measured for placement of the snaps, we did so without the ammo pack in place, (with just the canvas belt itself.)  Everything lined up perfectly.  But, once the ammo pack was added, it put additional tension on the belt and pulled everything over just enough that now the snaps wouldn't hold.  I've learned that snaps have to be in perfect alignment or they pop like little powderkegs.  Anyway, it is fixed now.

Could you resend your diagram larger?  I am curious as to what you and brother came up with but I cannot make out the detail.

Yes, I am so glad I decided to hand paint rather than use the decals.  I didn't think I had a steady enough hand to paint since I have no skills in painting and no experience. But, it wasn't difficult to do, especially with following the videos.  It does take time, though.  You can only do one small section at a time, since everything has to dry a day before you can move on to another section.  If you touch anything with wet/dirty hands and then touch something else on the helmet, you're doomed.  Definitely not a project you want to start if you are in a hurry.

My diagrams are all written in french, so wider pictures wouldn't be that useful :P

Unless you or the engineer do speak french?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/pascalemmanuelgobry/2014/03/21/want-to-know-the-language-of-the-future-the-data-suggests-it-could-be-french/

I don't think "wonderful" is the word :P

I would have known, i would have made them cleaner... but you asked for, so here you go, full resolution!

zhfxwm4s.jpg 0zx2Zacs.jpg

I just precise that it's better to use CAP rivets instead of pop-rivets to fasten the ammo belt to the canvas belt, as it is to fasten the inner drop boxes to their straps. I told my brother to use pop-rivets because that's all he had.

I don't think "wonderful" is the word :P

I would have known, i would have made them cleaner... but you asked for, so here you go, full resolution!

zhfxwm4s.jpg 0zx2Zacs.jpg

I just precise that it's better to use CAP rivets instead of pop-rivets to fasten the ammo belt to the canvas belt, as it is to fasten the inner drop boxes to their straps. I told my brother to use pop-rivets because that's all he had.

No worries.  It was just fine the way it was and a great reference.  The drawings were really helpful, as were the step-by-step instructions and the little warnings interspersed throughout.   We actually ended up using pop-rivets, too, since it was also all we had on hand. :) 

OK, so the armor is finished, and we'll be taking the application pictures this weekend outside once the rain stops.  

Any advice beyond what is printed on the main website?  Any stories/wisdom from when you went through the process?

Just make sure you send more photos then is normally required :D I took photos based on the Centurion program and sent them for approval, this way there was no question as to if there was something missing or something they couldn't see.

Just make sure you send more photos then is normally required :D I took photos based on the Centurion program and sent them for approval, this way there was no question as to if there was something missing or something they couldn't see.

Thank you, Derrek.  Great advice!  And, thank you for all the help in getting my armor ready.

Take the helmet off picture BEFORE all the others (it's hard to comb your hair with the chemical gloves :lol:)!

Ha ha.  Oh my, yes, you never fail to give me a good laugh.  Nothing worse than helmet head.  I still contend those chemical gloves are identical to the Rubbermaid ones I use for washing dishes.  

And, thank you, Germain.  You have been endlessly patient with all my questions.  And, I certainly have come up with a lot of questions along the way.  Mille mercis.

Hey, you and your husband inspired me to build another set of armor. I think I like building more then anything! It lets me pretend I"m crafty and such.

Edited by Dday

Thanks go to you too Diana! Your build thread has been such a pleasure to follow :)

And yes, the thing that always bothers me during trooping is when people ask for a helmet off picture at the end of the troop. I always think: "Damn, my hair must be a mess... :lol: "

Great build and good luck with your application.  I'm pretty sure you've inspired more than one person.  I STILL laugh every time I think of the engineer asking if you want to "touch the helmet".  And I think messed up hair at the end of a troop just makes it look like you've spent a long day battling rebel scum.  Can't wait to see your application thread!!!

Post subject: Welcome to new member Diana Torres (TK) |  Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Attention Golden Gate Garrison,

I am pleased to announce the official membership of Diana Torres and approval of her Stormtrooper (Stunt) Costume.

A big thank you goes to Diana for a job well done on the detail and quality of her costume.

Please join me in wishing congratulations to Diana on her membership!!!

Thank you for supporting the legion's mission of celebrating the Star Wars movies through the wearing of costumes, promoting the quality and improvement of costumes and props, and most importantly contributing to the local community through charity and volunteer work.

John Blackshear

Garrison Membership Liaison

TK/CT/TC/CX-3619

In addition of the 501st approval, i'd like to add that this armor is FISD approved :duim:  

Congratulations Diana!

Thank you, Germain.  You were also wonderfully patient with all of my many questions along the way. Kyle has told me the armor is never truly finished, which is good because I already have more questions on how I can make the armor even better... :)

Congrats Diana. Your bold decisions to trim, heat bend and mod the armour to make it fit you better paid off! And you look amazing. :)

Have fun with your upcoming troops; it's gonna be exciting! :salute:

Congrats Diana and Co.!

You're gone a long to make armor that was obviously to big, to fit much better. You guys surely went above and beyond in terms of how much you did to the armor to make it just right!

Well done.