Diana's RS Props Build- ANH Stunt

Great work Diana, its really coming along!

Thanks, Echo!

Just working on trimming down the kidney some more.

IMG_3576_zps89cf8f1d.jpg

Here's how much material was removed. 

IMG_3579_zps5070fe6c.jpg

I'll need to create a new return edge.  How big does the new return edge need to be?  Is there a requirement for this?  The existing return edge looks to be 0.5 mm?

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

Try not to trim to much of the kidney, you may have to trim the bottom of the back piece a tiny bit. TM built a luke suit and I think he trimmed the bottom of the back piece a little. Look through this thread and check out the back piece. I just don't. want you to overtrim. Tape the armor together and keep checking the fit. You guys are coming along.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20077-replica-tm-luke-suit-jorney/ 

Measuring before heat bending.

IMG_3755_zpsf97ff02c.jpg

The cod was pointing straight down.  We used the heat gun to bend it and give it more of a curve.

IMG_3584_zps9b48948b.jpg

Also used the heat gun to apply a curve to the ab plate and bend it so that it wraps around my body.  Once you get used to working with the heat gun, the ABS is very cooperative.

IMG_3756_zps218f36c1.jpg

Cod is definitely fitting much better.  Going to work on the chest plate next.

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

Try not to trim to much of the kidney, you may have to trim the bottom of the back piece a tiny bit. TM built a luke suit and I think he trimmed the bottom of the back piece a little. Look through this thread and check out the back piece. I just don't. want you to overtrim. Tape the armor together and keep checking the fit. You guys are coming along.

Hi Nick-

Thanks for the build thread. We've marked the back piece, but haven't trimmed it yet.  You're right, though.  It could use a small trim.

IMG_3798_zpsd88ffe21.jpg

We marked in the burgundy tape how much we are planning on taking off of the back plate. As I understand it, the kidney will be pulled in and taper in better with the belt on.

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

Yes, the kidney will fit better with the belt on. Looks good, trim a little, then more if needed.  The trick is to keep the balance  so the pieces don't look trimmed down. i know it's easier said than done.

You're doing great pulling the pieces in to fit you better.

One thing to keep in mind is that once all of the pieces come together, it will make sense and the parts will look better.

Since you are working from such a small frame, I would also think about doing a Luke version, since it's made for shorter people. 

You definitely want to shape the pieces like you are doing. kits that are obviously to wide really look bad to the overall look of the TK, so shape those sides in some and cut the edges :D

As far as your new return edge, you want about 6-8mm return edge on the bottom of the chest, top of the ab, bottom of the back, top of the kidney. This is because if you're going to use original strapping system with the loops and elastics (very recommended since it makes the pieces sit exactly perfect) you will want enough return edge to put the screws into so they don't stick out to far and ruin the look.

You're doing great, it's awesome to see you and your husband doing this together!

You're doing great pulling the pieces in to fit you better.

One thing to keep in mind is that once all of the pieces come together, it will make sense and the parts will look better.

Since you are working from such a small frame, I would also think about doing a Luke version, since it's made for shorter people. 

You definitely want to shape the pieces like you are doing. kits that are obviously to wide really look bad to the overall look of the TK, so shape those sides in some and cut the edges :D

As far as your new return edge, you want about 6-8mm return edge on the bottom of the chest, top of the ab, bottom of the back, top of the kidney. This is because if you're going to use original strapping system with the loops and elastics (very recommended since it makes the pieces sit exactly perfect) you will want enough return edge to put the screws into so they don't stick out to far and ruin the look.

You're doing great, it's awesome to see you and your husband doing this together!

Hi Derrek-

Thank you for the feedback.  I like these ideas a lot.  So, what would I need to do differently to do a Luke version?  I saw the screenshots on the previous page and noticed the additional trims to chest plate.  We started on these yesterday and they already resulted in a better fit of the chestplate.  Will upload some new pics in a few hours. 

Yes, we will be using the original strapping system.

Husband is a very awesome guy.  Work goes very quickly with two of us working together.  We talk about armor all the time now.  It's sweet.  It's like he has finally entered my world. Er, galaxy.

Edited by dianat

To trim down the chest plate, we taped a pencil to my husband's finger.  This allowed a perfectly even line that followed the original curve of the chest plate.

IMG_3594_zps37c946bb.jpgIMG_3591_zps63ec7816.jpg

Used the three Luke screenshots sent by Germain as a reference.

Before                                                                                After

a6a0f624-c658-421f-bc78-6765ad172a48_zpsIMG_3602_zps386128ca.jpg

Chest plate is definitely fitting better with the trims.  Less "boxy."   Still thinking of trimming it in the next some more. Feels a little choking. And, the ab buttons are covered up.  Should some more be trimmed off the bottom?

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke
  • Like 1

As blonde as Luke  ^_^

It looks good to me right now, but i guess you can take off a bit more if you feel like you need it, and also before being at the Luke's trim line (i think his is trimmed a bit more). Unless if you're planning to make a new return edge for the bottom of the chest plate, then i would keep it like that.

And if it chokes you too much you can also trim a bit more of the neck opening

Hey, we finally actually finished a piece! Thanks to Steve (WideAMG's) very detailed pics/instructions, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25538-wideamgs-rs-props-pvc-anh-stunt-build/
the thermal detonator was explosively easy.

IMG_3631_zpse6d9a24c.jpg

36047472-8094-45f1-b126-13336ab070ed_zps
We were confident we had this piece together correctly so we felt it was OK to use ZapaGap rather than E-6000.  It dried right away and didn't stink.  We should've skipped the Zip Kicker, though.  That stuff stunk.  

IMG_3635_zps6246a2fd.jpg
Wow.  I'm just going to stare at it for a while longer.  A finished piece.  Sigh.  OK, back to work.  Many unfinished pieces to go.IMG_3661_zpsb4c95e61.jpg

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

As blonde as Luke  ^_^

It looks good to me right now, but i guess you can take off a bit more if you feel like you need it, and also before being at the Luke's trim line (i think his is trimmed a bit more). Unless if you're planning to make a new return edge for the bottom of the chest plate, then i would keep it like that.

And if it chokes you too much you can also trim a bit more of the neck opening

As blonde as Luke.  Mwwww ha ha!  Rolling on the floor, laughing.  Thank you. Love it.

OK, we took your advice and took a bit more off the bottom, and also trimmed a bit a the neck as well.  It did feel choking, and feels more comfortable now with the trims.  Not sure if the trims are noticeable, but here is how it looks now.  We were once again looking at the reference screenshots of the Luke trim line and trying to match them as exactly as possible.  

ac9b8102-9d34-4ed1-915d-e0bf819edba2_zps

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

Moving on to the belt.  Must reference BillHag's excellent belt trim document.

med_gallery_12157_50_43228_zps7b8c0224.j
By double-checking the measurements against the reference diagram, we realized we hadn't trimmed enough.  We needed to trim so the top of the line of the ammo pack was flush so it would line up perfectly with the canvas belt.

Wasn't sure if there was anything special about these things, (if they needed special corners or whatnot.)  Double-checked the reference photos.  Nope.  They are squares.  Will glue them later.  The belt has to be riveted together first.IMG_4904_zpsac127594.jpg

On to the drop boxes.

41a727d3-39f3-48b4-869e-23c2dffcbe92_zpsd065ffe2-22fb-49c8-8d4a-d597b15fb876_zps

RS drop boxes don't need a lot of work.  A bit of sanding.  Some careful work with the dremel and they were ready to assemble.  We are planning on making them "functional" drop boxes, rather than gluing them together.  Not sure what will go in them, but storage space seems very precious on the suit.

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

Thanks, Nick for the build thread.  Great to read it and learn more about the Luke suit.  

Thanks, Nick for the build thread.  Great to read it and learn more about the Luke suit.  

Hi Diana,

Thats a great reference thread for smaller troopers, nothings better than a TM built suit, especially that one. As long as your buttons are showing, it should be fine. You can always fine tune it later. 

Yes, I agree on the trim, you did a good job on that.

If you are going for the luke chest piece in regards to your height, you might consider going all the way for a Hero setup to complete the look.

The Luke Hero setup basically is the chest piece trimmed like you did, and you have a grappling hook and comlink instead of the Tdet :D I know you feel great about having gotten that piece finished. :D The rest of the suit, as far as I am aware follows the rules of the hero suits. The helmet frown is painted differently and the holster attaches with 4 rivets instead of just 2.

Granted, you can stick with a stunt suit and having just trimmed the chest down some, without going full Hero. If you are going to stick with a stunt setup, I would personally suggest that you replace the return edge on the chest piece and make longer elastics for the strapping system so it still can attach to the ab plate. The Luke hero doesn't have any attachment to the ab I believe, sine there was nothing to attach the brackets to. There are a few tutorials on how to add a new return edge.

I really like the look of the new fit vs how it was before. Like a fitted shirt/suit vs off the shelf :D

PS - Does your husband work in the technology sector? He looks familiar to me. I recall you saying he has been traveling in Europe and I work over here in Germany mostly around the US Military.

Yes, I agree on the trim, you did a good job on that.

If you are going for the luke chest piece in regards to your height, you might consider going all the way for a Hero setup to complete the look.

The Luke Hero setup basically is the chest piece trimmed like you did, and you have a grappling hook and comlink instead of the Tdet :D I know you feel great about having gotten that piece finished. :D The rest of the suit, as far as I am aware follows the rules of the hero suits. The helmet frown is painted differently and the holster attaches with 4 rivets instead of just 2.

Granted, you can stick with a stunt suit and having just trimmed the chest down some, without going full Hero. If you are going to stick with a stunt setup, I would personally suggest that you replace the return edge on the chest piece and make longer elastics for the strapping system so it still can attach to the ab plate. The Luke hero doesn't have any attachment to the ab I believe, sine there was nothing to attach the brackets to. There are a few tutorials on how to add a new return edge.

I really like the look of the new fit vs how it was before. Like a fitted shirt/suit vs off the shelf :D

PS - Does your husband work in the technology sector? He looks familiar to me. I recall you saying he has been traveling in Europe and I work over here in Germany mostly around the US Military.

Hi Derrek- It's an interesting idea.  I'm looking into it and trying to figure out what I'd need to do if I decided to go that route.  Started trying to figure out the grappling hook today.  I am flexible about the tdet, even though, yes, it was lovely to have a finished piece.  So, the main differences seem to be in the helmet and the belt.  I have an extra (unfinished) helmet. So, anyway, it's all possible.  But, of course, this would set the project back.  To be honest, we're at that point where we want to get done.

Yes. The Luke suit doesn't seem to have a return edge on the bottom of the chest plate.  However, it seems to me this would still be an important place to have a return edge since these edges add structural integrity to the piece.  Searched around the local stores today to try to find a heat sealing iron, but couldn't find one.  So, we ordered one online. It will be here in a few days. 

Thanks for the compliment on the fit.  I'm much happier with it now.  I felt like I was swimming in it before.  

Yes, husband is an engineer.  Hard working guy.  Smart, too, like all engineering types.  

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke

Riding high on the explosive rush of finishing the thermal detonator, we decided to finish another piece.  We attacked the biceps.

Since they were already trimmed, it didn't take long to finish them up.

a95ba701-954b-490b-8442-8f582f28c944_zps
With limited daylight left, and rain on the way, we headed outside to glue.  We quickly added the finishing strips and glued.

7e18e79b-0c3a-4e14-b6f6-9644d21b027b_zps
We felt confident we weren't going to mess this piece up, so we went for the Zap-A-Gap and Zip Kicker. It stunk less used outdoors.

14797ebe-66a9-4a6a-9553-8fb0a52b242a_zps

Our little pile of "finished" pieces is slowly growing.  I say "finished" because there is always a way to obsess about the pieces a little more.  Noticed the top edge on the right bicep is not identical to the left, and maybe could be tapered slightly with the heat sealing iron.  Yup.  You can get really OCD about this stuff.

Edited by AsBlondeAsLuke