Distinguishing different armors

TheKido

Hi!

As the topic says I wonder how you guys distinguish different armors from each other. I recognize a few of them just by looking at pics but for example AP, RS and TM are all very close to the original and thus they look pretty much the same (sorry if I just insulted someone ^_^ ). Does all armors have some characteristic thing like the thighs on the FX or the bump on the RS lid or is it simply something you learn by browsing pictures for years? Distinguishing them in real life is one thing but when caught on camera many things get unclear thus identifying becomes a lot harder. How do you guys do it? 

//TheKido  :salute:

AP isn't very close to the originals. Not nearly as much as RS or TM. But as to answer your real question, for me it's just about looking at the different armours a lot. And I mean a lot. After a while you start noticing the tells. Reading a lot of older posts when it was more frequently talked about pros and cons of different kits also helps to you learn what to look for.

There are too many things to list. Every armor has it's distinguishable traits. Only by looking at hundreds of build threads and/or building them does one become familiar with these traits. It is a testament to the phrase: "Never stop doing your research!" One day you might find one of those sets of armor in your house.

Pretty much years of staring at photos posted in this forum every day of your life is the only way to catch the subtleties of each maker's armor... And even then I'm still learning. Some people are just frustratingly good at it. I recently showed a photo of a sniper knee on a shin to Locitus and he correctly identified it as AP. That may very well be a sign of a larger mental health problem that he shouldn't be as proud of ;)

I find the armor itself easier than the helmets even when they're lined up next to each other. That sounds like a fun web app to create doesn't it?

-Eric

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a hard time with the TE2 derived armors, except AP. TM and RS, by there accuracy, stand out. FX and AM are pretty much the same, with some diffrence. RT-Mod is bigger, wich is why it's reconizable.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Once you get into a squad and look at everyones armor you tend to learn a few differences, I find looking at photo's of a troop I can now pick out who's who and what they are wearing. Even a friend that didn't know a lot about stromtroopers can now pick me out of a crowd of ten TK's :D

Once you get into a squad and look at everyones armor you tend to learn a few differences, I find looking at photo's of a troop I can now pick out who's who and what they are wearing. Even a friend that didn't know a lot about stromtroopers can now pick me out of a crowd of ten TK's :D

I can tell who's who in the UKG by looking at their hand guards :P

I can tell who's who in the UKG by looking at their hand guards :P

Karin bringing it to the next level  :D

I think the FX is the easy one. AM I've never actually seen but I guess it looks like the FX. RT-mod is as you mentioned larger. ATA is somewhat smaller and has a distinguishable helmet but the rest I can't place correctly. TM and RS are pretty easily distinguished from the rest but I can't find a way of identifying which is which between them on a pic as the bumpy helmet isn't as clear. But I guess you never stop learning. No shortcuts only lots and LOTS of experience right?  :duim:  

Karin bringing it to the next level  :D

Not really. AS TM said before, no armor is the same. There are suble differnces in the built. and then you have posture, height, condition of the hand guard etc.

Y'know, 5 years ago I couldn't tell a stunt from a hero hand guard. it was quite a learning curve.

So, Kido, take your time and look at  fotos, and research, asking questions, etc.

Do you know starwarshelmets.com?  check it out. it helpe me a lot

2 years ago I barely knew the difference from a hero or stunt ARMOR... But hey! It shows how much you actually learn here ;)  

Currently I'm taking it slow on the 501st front but I will soon be at it again I hope.

I do know about that page but it was a long time ago since I checked it out so I think I'll go there now actually, thanks for the reminder  :duim:

I can tell ROTJ from everything else because it's what I own and it's like being the ginger step child, the comments. I can't see any difference in any of the others though!

But to be honest, I don't really care either. So long as everyone's happy and having fun, that's all that matters.

Some tells are easier to read than others. AP forearms are easy to spot compared to other types as the dimples are rounder and not as deep. Others as noted can take a loooooot of staring at photos and memorizing small details. SuperTrooper, TrooperMaster, TK4205, and Locitus have particularly keen eyes.