Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Helmet(s)"

kwdesigns

I know it's just a soft pull and you have just begun to work on it, but here are some suggestions i can make:

rmqtdf11.jpg

- Reduce the space between the eyes and the tubes near the ear

- Narrow the aerator area 

- Make an inner curve for the tubes before they reach the aerator area

- Modificate the frown (can't find the words to describe it :closedeyes: )

And to me your black line seems the closest to the illustration. Backward regarding the eyes' back corners.

Keep up like that!

The 5th Horseman... Thank you very much for your input. I have done some corrections and this is still not the final pull yet. It is only held together with magnets in the 2 bottom pics.

RMQTest1_zpsb03b0bfe.jpg.ab221ed6a30af3075752c66e7160dfc3.jpg

RMQTest2_zps5ffec172.jpg.5fdf2d383a6cf2a3ccc55970cf009d13.jpg

And here it is on the left (again this is unfinished) with a CAP on the right. I need to remake the aerators to better resemble RMQ helmet designs.

This is the improved Proto-Type. The assembly was very easy with just 2 screws on each side holding the ear caps, dome, face and eye lens all together.

I have done a test fit with the chest and back armor on and it is very comfortable and fits me great. I took it to a Garrison party and quite a few people tried it on and they said it fit them very well.

2014-01-11145130_zpscd6f4bcd.jpg.4c23768f9eb82be2a54f8a6a62c86b15.jpg

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

I can't wait to see one of those in my collection!

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed these look amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by zoekoner

This is the 3rd revision. I enlarged the space for the larger aerators and made a slight groove to outline where to paint the inner area black. I also smoothed out the outer edges towards the bottom, giving them a more rounder edge. I also scribed in the mold where to drill the holes for the ear-caps and where to cut it along the outer edges.

RMQ3rdTry_zpsdece2033.jpg.e378781308b3e1cc94bc7b418754c616.jpg

I think it is almost ready for production...

I did some clean up on the dome today also and did a test pull. I will assemble this 3rd version tomorrow!!!

Thanks!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

My Buddy Mike TK6628 came over and tried on the RMQ helmet with chest and back armor today.

Testfit2_zps6e25ac79.jpg.661e2c3cc7103eeefd33553f4b29a70f.jpg

Testfit1_zps862f1b79.jpg.2e26f37de5ce6aa5a65d5d1466aaf1f6.jpg

The helmet is now done and I am getting kits ready.

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Very nice.

Loving the work!

When you vacuum form the faceplate it will help to build up the run off under the chin and tubes. It will help the pull not creasing at the base of the tubes. Like a sloping bulge. It will pull the plastic away from the bottom of the tube.

Adding blocks etc to moulds in certain places will help with any creasing forming on the pulls on any pull. Just experiment......

Good luck.

On 1/16/2014 at 12:23 PM, kwdesigns said:

This is the 3rd revision. I enlarged the space for the larger aerators and made a slight groove to outline where to paint the inner area black. I also smoothed out the outer edges towards the bottom, giving them a more rounder edge. I also scribed in the mold where to drill the holes for the ear-caps and where to cut it along the outer edges.

I think it is almost ready for production.

I did some clean up on the dome today also and did a test pull. I will assemble this 3rd version tomorrow!!!

Thanks!!!

LOL,

I've just noticed this untrimmed pull.......With the bulge run off!   Maybe just a couple of wooden blocks placed somewhere either side will help........

Thanks very much for the Tip. I did flair out the base to help with that. Some webbing still happens but for the most part it will either be cut off or covered by the dome.

I will be posting up how to assemble pic that I took while assembling my helmet. I did show how to fix webbing if needed.

I am making up some kits right now.

Kevin W.

personally I love the work.. but I feel the frown should be more on the horizontal plane?

other than that it's really close.

have you tried a photographic overlay with your faceplate and the drawing?

that would show you where the corrections might be made...

Thanks but sculpting is done and production has started. I am very satisfied with the final outcome. Trust me it looks a lot better in person when it's all painted and put together, especially when your wearing it with the armor.

Kevin W.

Sorry for my short previous short reply without giving much of an explanation as to why an overlay would not serve of good purpose.

I realize that this particular painting of RMQ's has what I would call a "squashed looking face and tall dome". My intention of this helmet sculpt has been to make it wearable and scaled it to look good with my RMQ armor.

So I had to make some important decisions. The Most important decision was, I hand to elongate the face to make it wearable. Let me explain more... The line of sight is the most important thing on a helmet, so I have to start with the fundamental measurements of a persons head. The location of the eyes being the starting point, then the distance of the dome and lower jaw. If I would have sculpted it to look just like RMQ's painting my helmet would not serve its propose of a functional wearable piece. If you were to put an exact replica helmet of his painting on your head, your line of sight (eyes) would be at the brow area of the helmet. Or if you but a ton of padding at the dome to line up your eyes, your chin and possibly your mouth would hang out the bottom.

So when you look at my sculpt or finished RMQ helmet, you need to imagine his painting slightly elongated in the face. And of course that would change some of the angle such as the frown. Trust me a ton of thought goes into my work.

Kevin W.

• 3 months later...