Big box has arrived. Could use some advice on the next step?

So, my big box arrived today from RS Props.  Everything I need to do the build is there, including the helmet and strapping kit.  

I'm not sure where to start.  Do I try to do the most difficult parts first and save the easy parts for last?  Or, vice versa?  Helmet first, body parts last?  Staring at this big box of plastic and feeling intimidated.  There was a little triangular piece and I couldn't even figure out which part of the body it goes on.  I've been doing my research and my reading, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed.   I feel like I'm going to break something if I handle it the wrong way, so most of it I've left in the box untouched.  Could use some advice here.

Thanks.

Divide and conquer! Take your time.

I think I started on biceps first. Feel free to post up photos of the pieces you are having a harder time identifying.

RS is fantastic armor. It will be an amazing finished product. :duim:

I've seen troopers start with the smaller, easier parts first, makes sense. Are the triangles the hand guards maybe? Trapezoid shaped? Biceps are a good place to start as well, mentioned above. Take your time , have fun, ask questions. These fellas here are more than happy to help.

Remember to breathe. :) The overwhelmed feeling will go away soon.  I am right in the middle of my very first build; I know exactly how you feel.

Personally, I started with the small stuff first (hand guards, button plates, biceps) it helps to get a feel for working with the ABS. It also gave me some confidence. With every piece I'm starting, I looked up as many tutorials or posts I could find on the subject. You can learn a lot from what others have done, how to do things properly, learn about some things to avoid, etc…

Get to know your armour. :) Take it all out, examine it, see where each piece will go, get a feel for how it will fit, etc... It's so exciting!!

Awesome news, take a deep breath and don't rush into it, research first and remember the old saying measure twice cut once ;), good luck will be watching your build thread :D

As already mentioned the small and somewhat easier parts are good starting points. The whole thing is pretty easy as soon you've gotten the hang of it so start easy and work yourself up to the harder parts. Most importantly take your time and enjoy every second of it ;)

Good luck and post pics :)

When I assemble suits for customers I find it much easier to split it into sections. 

Get all the tools, magnets, stanley knife, rachet clamps, glue and music to make armour by :).

Trim all the parts.

Assemble the helmet

Glue arms.

glue legs.

paint details, Ab buttons, helmet.

Rivet belt, sniper plate and ammo pack.

Strap it.

done!

As others have said, take your time and enjoy the build. If your not sure, ask. You'll feel better asking and doing it right rather than going in all guns blazing and doing it wrong.

Good luck!

I trimmed everything first.  Then started with the handplates and forearms and biceps and shoulders.  Was told they were easier.  If you get frustrated or overwhelmed just take a break.  Can always go back to it later.

The build doc at the bottom of my signature is all about the overwhelming-ness, the anxiety of first cut, and all that. I'm not sure how helpful it is as a guide as much as a sanity check. Don't throw up! :D

Best wishes, and start a build thread in the section you're building for (ANH Stunt, for ex.)

So, my big box arrived today from RS Props.  Everything I need to do the build is there, including the helmet and strapping kit.  

I'm not sure where to start.  Do I try to do the most difficult parts first and save the easy parts for last?  Or, vice versa?  Helmet first, body parts last?  Staring at this big box of plastic and feeling intimidated.  There was a little triangular piece and I couldn't even figure out which part of the body it goes on.  I've been doing my research and my reading, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed.   I feel like I'm going to break something if I handle it the wrong way, so most of it I've left in the box untouched.  Could use some advice here.

Thanks.

I'm in almost similar situation, except that I made few helmets before, so I started with trimming the faceplate first..I'm somehow scared of armour :huh: ..but it will pass :laugh1:

what an amazing experience, receiving the boxes with that kind of content, :jc_doublethumbup:

There are some great builds documented on this site. pay particular attention to the RS builds, Each manufacturer is slightly different. Mimic a build that makes sense to you.

As mentioned, start with the easy pieces to build familiarity and confidence. Pieces like the drop boxes and thermal detonator are less tragic to screw up than the helmet.

I got my RS kit only 6 weeks ago, scared of the first cut, now I can't cut fast enough!

Post your progress here and many will assist.

Thanks all for the great advice.  This is very helpful and has given me a good idea of where to start.  I actually took everything out of the box yesterday, and I think I may have even identified all of the mystery pieces.  

"Ah, not an Imperial cup holder.  It is the cap for the thermal detonator."

I started with the biceps. Trimmed them, taped them first to test fit and then glued together cover strips. I found it good to go through all of the steps if making one part of the armor (cutting, sanding edges, fitting and gluing) so that I got a feel for each part. The bicep is a fairly simple and small part to work with. It was my first time working with the material. This way by the time I got to the legs and helmet ( which I left for last) I was very comfortable and confident with how much to trim, how to fit it to me and finish it.

I personally wouldn't trim every piece and then try to glue, until at least you felt good about working with the material.

Good luck and have fun. Oh and as much as you may feel anxious about finishing, enjoy the process. Once you are done you will miss the process of making it.