Manufacturer assembled armor: too accurate?

Hey Mark - I don't see this thread as bashing anything, as the consensus reached is that you can make your armor both accurate and troopable, e.g. disagreeing with the original poster.

You think this thread should be resurrected to bash screen accurate builds?

I've been away from here for a little while and everyone has taken to picking holes in to uber accurate builds.

Once upon a time it was considered rude to bash people who had less accurate armour. Now it seems the be de rigour to bash people at the top of their game. I just don't get it.

If you ask a supplier to build you a suit. Surely one of the first questions to be mused will be how do you want it built? Accurate or practical?

If there was a problem with a particular build I would have thought a pm to the guy who built it would be appropriate not a thread calling them out unnecessarily.

Mark, you have misread my post as well as some of the conclusions I think.

I think screen accurate is the way to go, and for instance I have learned about cap rivets being used to connect the belt vs pop rivets that you see used in a lot of builds. I will be using cap rivets for the belt now that I am aware this was the way they did it on the screen.

The thread started one way and ended another. The consensus was that the original belt in question was improperly assembled in some way leading to the rivets popping out. On a properly built belt, there should be almost no stress on the belt, and surely not enough to pull the rivets out of the plastic/cloth.

In my original post I went out of my way NOT to call anyone out. No names have been used here so I 'm not seeing where anyone was called out. And to be clear: I DID NOT BUILD THE ARMOR THAT THE RIVETS FAILED. IT WAS BROUGHT TO ME TO REPAIR. 

It is obvious that when installed properly, speed/cap rivets work. It's just whenever I see something that has failed, that means the possibility exists that the same method may fail again. And in this place on the armor, a failure is a costly one. I just wanted to know if this happened to anyone else.

Ive been using my original strapping and movie replica suit for almost Two years now built from Troopermaster. No problems at all. I have the common cracks and such just like the movies. Myself and other friends in my garrison use the original strapping and everyone agrees its the best way to go.

The original strapping works better than anything but it has to be used on the right kind of plastic and fitted correctly. It was not the strapping method that failed, it was the application that was done incorrectly that resulted in the failed part (popped rivet). The person who assembled the belt did not do it properly so it was his error - not the original strapping.

I prefer the black elastics stelmaxed to the chest and back plate and abb and kidney ;) <br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• 3 weeks later...

If you do heavy trooping, the screen accurate style can fail. Everyone I know who heavily troops and has the bracket system has cracks. I have done more than 70 troops to date and have been thankful more than once for my decision to add inner support and separate chest and back pieces. I have participated in several film shoots that were physically demanding and rough on my armor. I most recently did a web commercial were the extras got a bit carried away and if it had not been for my inner supports my forearm would have completely failed. I use the suspender method to hold up cod and kidney/butt, I have been grabbed and tugged to the point were if I had the original strapping my armor would have failed. I believe that if you only suit up for an hour or two once a month or less there is no issue, but if you go to a lot of conventions and are suited 4-8 or more hours and do a lot of posing it is a different story. I have nothing against the original strapping, but we can see what a few days of shooting did to them. In the end, it comes down to preference and practicality. My 2 credits