Handguard comparison: RS and Karins

I had a chance to compare RS handguards, Karins white rubber, and Karins latex handguards. The RS ones are attached to gloves. The white rubber ones are slightly whiter and glossier. Both latex ones have a matte paint.

Flash on with RS drop boxes for color comparison.  From Left to Right:  Karin's Latex, White Rubber, and RS handguards:
AAdT8NE.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I have to agree with Karin on this point, until some good original photos are released. They're both very good handguards. If you want a slimmer guard with more linear shapes, go RS. If you want a thicker one with more variation in it, Go with Karins.

I think more time and thought was placed into the moulding of Karins, judging by the detail.. but perhaps RS had access to an original.. And the original nay have been more plain. I don't know for sure

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

I don't want to turn this into a lenghty accuracy discussion, but I think this points should bev considered:

No set of hand guards was the same in ANH.

+) amount of latex poured in: more latex, thicker hand guards.

+) level of the mold: thicker or thinner on one end

+) mold wear: after a few pulls, the mold wears out; chunks missing, rough surface, etc

+mold flash: latex is a non-wetting fluid.

if you just pour it in, it produces a convexe surface, with no flash. > Thin edges (like RS above)

if you wet the edges of the mold, it produces a concave surface, with flash, almost like a "return edge" see this famous pic:

post-12157-0-79029300-1383682617_thumb.j

+) latex shrinkage: depending on humididty, temperature, etc. latex shrinks between 5 and 10%

+) I'm convinced there were at least 2 different molds of standard hand gaurds (+ 1 alternative style). 

a) one with somewhat round front

B) "straighter" front, pinky finger part a little wider

(Gee, after 4 years, Icould major in latex hand guards)

Conclusio: if you like a particular set of hand guards and the price is right for you, get it. If not, don't. 

And even if there was a real one, one would have to sculpt a new master sculpt because of the shrinkage of latex.

Latex is durable, but degrades soon if not properly cared for.

Why do you think they made new versions for ESB?

To be honnest, I never thought of why they changed the model loll. But it does make alot of sense.

I could figure that with time, the latex would pretty much become sand.

Could the rubber ones last longer or they will end up by drying and cracking too as fast as the latex one? (Pure curiosity, I love my latex one from you)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

If exposed to oxygen, fatty acids and sunlight latex degrades soon. But that doesn't happen over night.

I have a set of latex guards on my balcony, unprotected, lying on my balcony for 3 years now. No significant damage so far .

(Costumes on every movie production endure a lot of abuse. Do you know the pic where the suits of armor were just thrown into bins? Heart breaking!)

Maybe the paint problem was another factor to make a new design.

My white rubber guards are mostly silicone. The only problem with them world be a slight discoloration over time if they are exposed to sunlight, smoke, etc.

Do you know the pic where the suits of armor were just thrown into bins? Heart breaking!

Sadly or gladly, I never saw that picture.

Thanks for the answers Karin.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo