Barcoder’s ANH Stunt Beginner build (TE2/AP Variant?-CTM)

Good work so far! Don't worry about the dull cap, nothing that could not be polished with novus.

One thing I don't get: why do you want to paint the inside black?

It has no advantages, if you use a proper neckseal and wear the helmet correctly nobody will see your eyes. In the film NO helmet was painted black, but so many troopers Form the US do this. Weird thing.

Gesendet von meinem XT1032 mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliment! :) I will have to give Novus a try, stuff I have isn't doing the trick...

The reason for painting the inside black is purely cosmetic. I think it makes the inside a little more "polished" & "real" looking... I think when showing kids/fans the inside, it will just look cooler all decked out.

(Maybe it's just something us North Americans do? lol)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today has been spent painting.... (Which I enjoy doing.)

Started with the first coat on the teeth... (and a bit of polishing with Meguiar's ultimate compound.)

IMG_3190_zps98953dc0.jpg

Then the tears & traps...

IMG_3192_zps9726a7bb.jpgIMG_3193_zpsff8071ae.jpg

The the ear bars... (I used adhesive vinyl to block the area.) A few minor touch ups & good to go....

IMG_3194_zps7781cda6.jpgIMG_3195_zps21c06102.jpg

...and the first coat on the vocoder.

IMG_3197_zps2fbb97ab.jpg

I will leave them all to dry over night before applying the second coats. I plan on free-handing the tube stripes (I have a steady hand) but will be practicing on spare ABS first to get the technique down. 

YAY. More painting.... Here is my 1st & second attempt at free-handing tube stripes. (More practice is in order...lol) I think I am using too much paint, as it's pooling at the edge of the masked area. I will try thinner coats...

IMG_3198_zpsd170dfce.jpg

The insides are now all pretty & matte black...

IMG_3207_zps43847e0f.jpg

The ears are ready for the rank bar...

IMG_3199_zps4879ad75.jpg

1st & 2nd coats on the traps...just need the vents on the back.

IMG_3201_zpsa77bb88e.jpgIMG_3205_zps3645ab1c.jpg

2nd coat on the teeth, left tear & vocoder. (...and more polishing!)

IMG_3208_zpse0778618.jpg

(I often refer to this helmet as "Chip". You may notice the gouge above the eye-a fight with my Dremel that I did not win.) I have decided to keep it; adds a bit of history.  

Your tears black lines look more like claws than actual strips right now. I think you should either narrow the top, or widen the bottom, or a combinaison of both.

Agreed, they do look like claws...which I kinda like. I wasn't sure if the vents were open to a little personal interpretation or not... Thank you for the nudge; I will be sure to get them straightened out. :)

WOW. People were not kidding about the ears being the hardest part... I had to take a time-out last night. Seriously. lol

Anyway, this is what I managed to accomplish last night & this evening. (I have thrown in the towel for the evening...)

Here you can see just how thick the ABS is on this section. It's hard to get things to lay flat....        ...and here is the test fitting....after HOURS of tweaking.

IMG_3217_zps91720116.jpgIMG_3223_zps7828b449.jpg

IMG_3227_zpsc75328b5.jpgIMG_3230_zps4702a46c.jpg

This is the test fitting on the back.....                                                                                              ..and this is the result after screwing it all together....

IMG_3231_zpsa73d0a39.jpg

Thankfully the front ended up nice & flush... (Yes, I will be countersinking the bottom screw.) I may attempt to fix the back of this ear, but not tonight. My patience has run out... lol

..and that was just one ear. I still have to deal with the right one. 

YAY! I finished the ears! Phew, I though for sure I had screwed up the right one.....I was fretting about it at work, all day. Thanks to a post in another build thread (Thanks Diana) I was able to look at the right ear from a fresh perspective and get 'er done. lol I am a very happy future trooper.

IMG_3235_zpsd5655854.jpgIMG_3237_zpsf4b18fba.jpg

IMG_3238_zps118e7e34.jpgIMG_3242_zps5f701a6f.jpg

<breathes a huge sigh of relief>

This build is a pleasure to watch. A question was asked earlier as to why to paint the inside of the helmet black. When we troop, the motto most heard is "it's for the kids". They are usually smaller than us and can look up into our helmets. When they see black, it gives an aspect of realism.

This build is a pleasure to watch. A question was asked earlier as to why to paint the inside of the helmet black. When we troop, the motto most heard is "it's for the kids". They are usually smaller than us and can look up into our helmets. When they see black, it gives an aspect of realism.

Thank you Gaz. I truly appreciate your comment. :)

Agreed! Kids are the ones to see right up into the helmet.

Thanks guys for your complements on the ears. I ain't gonna say I was close to tears...(well, maybe a tiny bit. lol) That was the hardest part of the whole build.

Well, here's is the progress I made since the ears...

IMG_3254_zps1186967e.jpgIMG_3251_zps26c702f4.jpg

IMG_3250_zps1aacc4fc.jpgIMG_3245_zps72207935.jpg

In the end, I decided to use decals for the tube stripes... I just don't have the time to paint them right now; I will before my EIB submission. ;)

With that said, I do believe it's time to submit my application for the 501st! I now understand that your armour will never be "finished" but I am confidant I am ready for basic approval. 

Edited by Barcoder