Beginners AP-build

Got a big brown box in the mail yesterday! I'm a total beginner with this so of course I got real nervous when I opened it! I've spent many hours on this forum though trying to learn everything I can.

I went for an untrimmed armor with an trimmed helmet. I started assemble the helmet right away but ran in to some problem!

AWbVz6Tl.jpg

As you can see the back and cap is sticking trough the ear. My conclusion is that I should do some trimming, around here:

ouqj7tOl.jpg

Should make the ear close better, right?

I think I should trim some here too, to get the brow higher?

pcGyesul.jpg

After that I should be ready to do some painting!

Again, I'm a total beginner so I might be wrong, therefore this thread! Please don't hold back the feedback!

Edited by Kadows

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have access to local TK's in your area? I always suggest finding a local armor party if you are starting out and making some friends. Your local garrison should be able to help.

It's a huge help to be able to see finished gear in person and ask loads of questions. Most troopers gladly trade knowledge for beer. :lol:

Great!

When I came home from work today I tought it was time to do the first cutting. No reason to not get started anymore! Was really afraid though! So, how did I do? Ok or totally screw up?

http://i.imgur.com/wTE2aTW.jpg

The edges need some sandpaper of course. Other than that? Any input?

Thanks!

You want to leave enough of the return edge to give the armor some weight and thickness. Much of the top of the bicep is going to be under the shoulder bell somewhat. The blue line looks right to me. About the same edge that you left on your forearms in the pic above this one. Also, keep in mind, you need it to be comfortable and fit your arm snug, but not vice-grip.

I have been trying to do some work on the forearm again, done most of the trimming and it fits my arm great. Still, I don't know if I have screwed up or it is going in the right direction!

First of all, nothing really looks... round. Is it supposed to be this weird shape or have I messed it up?

sLxxaVOl.jpg

There are some corners poking out. Does it look like I have lined it up correctly, thinking I should trim of at the red lines?

3ZolxjJl.jpg

eN3nixGl.jpg

Would really love some input before moving on!!

Looks like you have it right, trim the return completely off at a wrist, so it can be sized better. While your at it trim off the the return on the inside of the elbow. Don't worry about those corners the finishing strip should cover them, I would leave them for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I went back to my forearm. I taped it all up and I think I like how it looks. I had to force the pieces a bit to make it all line up. It fits my arm really good. I'm thinking I should stop worrying and go ahead gluing. Maybe I could glue some pieces on the inside so it will hold up, then remove the tape and glue on the cover strips? What do you guys say? Thanks again!

IMG_1025.jpgIMG_1027.jpg

Edited by Kadows

Looking good so far, for mine I glued one outside strip first next the inside strip and then continue on the other side once it's dried. Some times a little heat can be helpful just to tweak pieced so they sit right.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

After a long break over the holidays I'm back again.

I have a question, please excuse me if this is a dumb one... The wrist end of my forearms don't really want to be "flat". Don't mind the cover strips. Are they suppose to? If so, how do I do it?  :huh:

QzIP8Jo.jpg

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

So I've moved on the legs! The rough trimming has been done and I just wanted to post some pictures and get some feedback.

NNcxVV4l.jpg

The thighs are pretty tight. They feel good, and I can walk around without problem, but they sure are tight and trooping would probably be hard. Right now I haven't trimmed the cover strips. I have just followed to mold lines so they are overlapping in the front. Once it's trimmed it will feel a little better of course. I want to try to keep the 25mm on the front and if I have to make it wider, do so in the back. As you can see in the picture, the top of the thigh in the back is to tight to follow the mold line meaning I will probably have to have a wider strip. On the other hand, the lower part I have to take in a bit to make it fit nice and avoid it looking like church bells! I kind of like the way it makes the thighs look. Wide in the top, narrow at the bottom.

Next problem is bending my knees! I can walk around without problem, but I can't climb stairs! The picture below shows how little I can bend my knee! I would like to cut the lower back like on the picture below, at the red line. I don't know if that is ok?

53dS5ALl.jpg

i3fq1l2l.jpg

The lower legs feels perfect. They fit nice and snug, I can barley feel I'm wearing them when walking around!

Does anyone have any input before I move on and start trimming? :)

Thanks!

Made some more test fitting of the thigh and I'm a bit worried. First of all, in order to get the thigh high enough I have to pull it really hard up, making it really tight at the top. It feels OK standing still but I can barley walk. Have a look at my test fitting here:

hxgBFPjl.jpg

I've pulled it really high up and still there is a lot of the undersuit showing. Doesn't really look good, does it? :(

Picture from the back:

w2RBcMdl.jpg

I'm not sure how to do the cover strip in the back. On all other parts I have a raised edge on both sides, and I cut half of each side to fit the cover strip. But the back of the thigh only have a raised edge on one side.

jcJliiLl.jpg

Please excuse my drawing:

fgCwF0Jl.jpg

Red being the cover strip. How should I do this so it looks goods.

Too make the thigh fit at all I have to align the edges at the top and then pull it in down so it doesn't get to big at the knee, this makes the back cover strip look crocked. See picture from behind above and here:

WUquN5nl.jpg

Any input would be great as I don't know how to proceed. It's kind of freaking me out. :(

Thanks guys...

Edited by Kadows

I did a new test fit of the thighs and I think I made them fit a lot better. I still don't know how to do the cover strip, see my post above. If anyone have any tips, please.

On another note, I started working on a simple strapping system! Doesn't look like much but it's something! My plan is to make it go over my shoulders and hang the ab plate and lower back on it with snaps.

cMNrYiAl.jpg

I also made some experiments with gluing bits of nylon webbing with snaps on to scrap ABS. Seems to work out just fine. Strong, and still possible to take apart if misplaced.

p16L3fol.jpg

Thanks!

I did a quick test fit again. This time I overlap the back as if I were to remove the ridge. Like this:

VmbmK9Ul.jpg

This time it looked a lot better! Last time i tried this I pulled the thighs to high I think, making them feel tight and uncomfortable, because I didn't try them with the abdomen plate.

This time I just held them up so it was comfortable and I could still walk. I think it looks good, what do you guys think? Should I go ahead and cut? :D

505gFmzl.jpg

zgnzkeOl.jpg

Edited by Kadows

After reviewing your pictures i think the problem is that you need that extra space (provided by the ridge) at the top but not at the bottom :/

And if you do a diagonal cut in the ridge it will be bothering to glue the cover strip properly.

I guess in this case you can reduce the ridge to something like 10mm and then trim the inner half. The cover strip will be a little bit offset but i've already seen it done before.