New Format for Reviewing EIB and Centurion Applications

Darth Aloha

Troopers,

I am taking over the position of Deployment Officer for a while. In the mean time until I name a new DO I will be trying a new format for reviewing Expert Infantry and Centurion applications. I hope to get everyone's input to help refine it once I begin to use it.

Here are the main sections of what will become a standard review. Please let me know what you think.

1. CRL Related - Comment on the applicant's armor as it pertains to specific items in the Costume Reference Library
  2. Other - Subjective comments that are not listed in the CRL such as armor fit.
  3. Suggestions - A list of suggestions that do not prevent the applicant from gaining the award. EIB applicants will receive pre-Centurion suggestions to help approval for the next award.

Aloha,

-Eric

Eric,

The EIB to Centurion suggestions is a big step forward. I love the idea.

I'll be honest, once I got EIB and because my suit is a mix of AM/RT-MOD - I gave up on trying to go higher. I love the idea of a pre-application thread where we can post a few shots and get feedback and advice. Something like that could give me the confidence that the higher award is within reach.

I like this idea of a SOP for reviewing applications.

Should all members who comment on an application use this patterm or only the DO?

That's not a bad idea. I won't discourage people from breaking it down that way, but I wouldn't require it. People can give as much or as little help as they see fit when people apply. I do prefer when people comment before and after the DO does. If you've ever noticed both Phil and Mathias would wait a bit for people to post before they wrote anything. That was intentional and what makes the process so much fun (to me at least... maybe not to the applicants ;) )

Eric,

The EIB to Centurion suggestions is a big step forward. I love the idea.

I'll be honest, once I got EIB and because my suit is a mix of AM/RT-MOD - I gave up on trying to go higher. I love the idea of a pre-application thread where we can post a few shots and get feedback and advice. Something like that could give me the confidence that the higher award is within reach.

Maybe not a whole thread for pre-application but I was thinking of just having the DO comment within the EIB thread on things they may need to improve before they apply for Centurion. This isn't really anything new. All DOs have done it in the past, I'm just trying to formalize it and manage the expectations of applicants. 

I'm trying to make the process as fun and customer service oriented as possible... and remove some of the ambiguity and emotionally charged drama that seems to surround this process. 

As I start to review applications please let me know how I can improve on the process.

Thanks everyone.

-Eric

may I suggest that we have a DO team?

faster and more detailed approvals.

I would like to apply for a DO position, as I do have a passion for the FISD.

a team with Eric, Glen and myself could handle suggestions, upgrade paths and approvals.

get more done with teams!

Great idea. Having a system to help people understand how to comment and convey how those comments apply to the completion of the awards is a huge benefit.

I know that I don't really have a dog in the fight - as I'm not yet a TK or Legion member, but I have a lot of practical ("real life") experience with similar things and I think they are great ideas all the way across.

As a recruit that is targeting nothing less than Centurion for my first build, I fully appreciate the ideas that you've presented and I think that they have tremendous potential to drive more recruits to shoot for the higher levels.  Under the current system, most of the recruits seem to focus so heavily on getting Legion approval only that they don't even look at the EIB/Centurion standards because there is a prevailing thought out there (and to an extent - rightfully so) that it is supposed to be elite levels.  The thought that follows is that it must be too hard to do up front.  Then, they get Legion approval and kind of go "well... I want to get active in my garrison and the Legion" so they kind of fade out. 

I think that making it something that seems truly attainable from day one, and allowing them to understand how to do so early on will lead to more TK prospects going for it. 

As I said, I have extensive practical experience in similar processes.  In coaching them about US Army promotions we always teach new Soldiers to work towards two promotions higher, rather than worrying about one at a time.  It gives them a feeling that they do control their own process, their own destiny and an understanding that it is indeed possible for them to move even higher than the next level, if they do some extra work.

For what it's worth, I think this is a great step in the right direction.  ;)

Edited by Dark CMF

I know that I don't really have a dog in the fight - as I'm not yet a TK or Legion member, but I have a lot of practical ("real life") experience with similar things and I think they are great ideas all the way across.

As a recruit that is targeting nothing less than Centurion for my first build, I fully appreciate the ideas that you've presented and I think that they have tremendous potential to drive more recruits to shoot for the higher levels.  Under the current system, most of the recruits seem to focus so heavily on getting Legion approval only that they don't even look at the EIB/Centurion standards because there is a prevailing thought out there (and to an extent - rightfully so) that it is supposed to be elite levels.  The thought that follows is that it must be too hard to do up front.  Then, they get Legion approval and kind of go "well... I want to get active in my garrison and the Legion" so they kind of fade out. 

I think that making it something that seems truly attainable from day one, and allowing them to understand how to do so early on will lead to more TK prospects going for it. 

As I said, I have extensive practical experience in similar processes.  In coaching them about US Army promotions we always teach new Soldiers to work towards two promotions higher, rather than worrying about one at a time.  It gives them a feeling that they do control their own process, their own destiny and an understanding that it is indeed possible for them to move even higher than the next level, if they do some extra work.

For what it's worth, I think this is a great step in the right direction.  ;)

Great post!.....two thumbs up!:-)

I'm glad to hear it.

For all of those who have already visit the MEPD, they have a really great application form, and after having seeing it i was hoping for a DO to establish something like that for some time. Good step forward for the FISD  :duim:

In the same time, I'm having a though for Phil (FunkyTrigger) who had a hard time as a DO and i'm sad to hear he's resigning as i think he did a great job

Great idea Eric!

May I also suggest more staying on the subject of helping each applicant with their post and less commenting on what CRL's need to be and personal opinions not directly related to the post.  These are the applicant's post and not a debate forum, there is a place for debates, stay on target.

Great idea Eric!

May I also suggest more staying on the subject of helping each applicant with their post and less commenting on what CRL's need to be and personal opinions not directly related to the post.  These are the applicant's post and not a debate forum, there is a place for debates, stay on target.

Agreed :)

-Eric

Great idea Eric!

Nailed it!

As someone who is considering going under the microscope of applying for Cent, there is nothing more unmotivating than seeing replies like:

This is wrong.

Your ____ isn't right.

or even worse:

"well you meet all the checked boxes so I'll pass it."

Offering suggestions to help move forward to correct issues is a huge plus. Phil was really good at that. I read a comment on one of his reviews that basically said, the thighs were off so if the applicant cant bring the thighs up, lets look at your strapping and drop the cod down.

Here's to hoping we see more than just TM/RS kits applying too :)

Well folks... I've started commenting on EIB apps today. Please let me know what you think... or if you have anything to add. If you disagree with me please let me know, but please do it in as a friendly manner as possible :)

-Eric

great changes. i think you will see more centurion applications since this will make issues more clear and EIBs will realize how close they are with a few changes.

most importantly this encourages more accuracy, which is what we should be striving for anyways.

I like the idea of dividing comments/feedback into clear sections. Someone else asked this, and I dont think I saw an answer- do you want all of us to try to provide feedback in this way? Or should we focus on providing feedback on #1 and #2 and allow the DO to provide #3 so things don't get too confusing for the applicant?

A very wise idea. Emperor Palpatine has indicated that he will be paying particular interest to your career now. :sith:

I think it will really help clarify how feedback is presented, e.g. must fix, should fix, can fix. :salute::peace:

I like the idea of dividing comments/feedback into clear sections. Someone else asked this, and I dont think I saw an answer- do you want all of us to try to provide feedback in this way? Or should we focus on providing feedback on #1 and #2 and allow the DO to provide #3 so things don't get too confusing for the applicant?

The thing that makes FISD a great online community is the depth of knowledge. I would encourage everyone to provide feedback as long as its done in a polite and thoughtful manner. What I don't want to see is a bunch of "you're doing it wrong" or other comments that are unsupportive and off topic. Put a little Aloha in your feedback rather than jamming your opinion down their throat. Having people chime in on applications also helps out the DO quite a bit. In fact Phil himself was asked to fill the role of DO based on his feedback to EIB and Centurion Applicants.

After doing a few EIB reviews and poised to do one for a Centurion applicant I've decided to change the second type of feed back from "Other" to "Other - Armor Fit and Assembly"

Please continue to let me know how you think the new process is working out. 

Thanks, 

-Eric

I found it very helpful and encouraging Eric.  Even though one cannot achieve Centurion multiple times, I am taking your Centurion suggestions to heart and making adjustments to my armor.

Really good changes here.  I think that providing a clear list of expectations should calm applicants down a bit.  If not, just point them to the list of expectations again.  It's like having a syllabus in a college course. 

Great modifications.  Here's hoping it works out for everyone!

:jc_doublethumbup: