WideAMG's RS Props PVC ANH stunt build

yes I plan on installing the brackets next. I will trim the return edges as much as possible after they are installed.

I am aiming for the nice fit that Harrison has.

bfv1.jpg

I see some buckling on others too so maybe this is more common.

0pjw.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a picture of my suit if im not mistaken....the RS fit my torso just fine without any extreme trimming, i trimmed mine about the same yours and im 5'6" and have a 32" waist. Once you got the armor assembled, just tighten your belt.....the ab and kidney will overlap each other....imho i think it will look fine rather than trimming unneccesarily (i think there were a few troopers in the movie that had theirs overlap) And as you can see in my picture, i had too much return edge on my butt, kidney, and back plate...you dont want that, it'll crack easier with big return edges, ive trimmed mine to a very minimal return edge since....

yes Reza that is you suit, your build is one of my inspirations :duim:

the plan is to minimize the edge and let the straps bring it in. I will report in the results :salute: . thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

These are the brackets in the RS kit. Don’t mess any up because you don’t get any extra J

vba2.jpg

Marked the location of the brackets with a pencil and mounted it on some Styrofoam to drill into.

zl35.jpg

I pilot drilled first with a 1/16†drill but the drill can still wander because the drill cannot be set perpendicular. The PVC is soft enough that using a sharp scriber punctured the location easily and accurately.

ku5t.jpg

I then used a 1/16†pilot drill and a 1/8†final size

8hua.jpg

Ran a file through to clean up the burrs

uu9f.jpg

Installed all the brackets and trimmed down the return edge

0gkv.jpg

Lined up the butt plate and transferred the bracket locations

l6ku.jpg

Did the back plate next since it is smaller than the kidney

ofti.jpg

Then transferred locations from back to kidney.

All rear brackets installed.

vqww.jpg

Marked the bracket locations on the ab

otzc.jpg

Installed brackets

bqux.jpg

Trimmed all the edges down (may go thinner later)

u6jl.jpg

Wire tied the pieces together for a test fit

412n.jpg

x221.jpg

h6ha.jpg

u1ha.jpg

Much better flexibility now and I can get a good fit now but with overlap. If I trim anymore from the sides I will cut out the side return edges. Centurion asks for a visible seam, is overlap acceptable?

Edited by WideAMG

OK lots of room on the ab so lets make it accurate.

the ab comes from RS with dimples for the side rivets.

qsxu.jpg

this is nice but the middle rivet is not centered.

dypn.jpg

best not to use it and mark a proper one

gln1.jpg

lots of split rivets and other stuff in the kit

d5pv.jpg

center punch the mark with a scriber, pilot drill with a 1/16" and finish drill with 9/64"

o4s2.jpg

loosely installed the rivet heads just for sizing

9dnf.jpg

screen shots and CRL prove the spacing from the edge of the rivets to the edge of the ab is 10mm

marked both side and cut it

pgof.jpg

am7u.jpg

mf8w.jpg

kidney rivets.

using the drilled ab I lined up the rivet holes and transferred them to the kidney.

the rivet edge is also 10mm from the kidney edge, the rivet head is 8mm diameter so the mark is 14mm from the edge.

5ds1.jpg

drilled the same as the ab

installed the split rivet through the hole, cut the strap to rough size, pierced the strap but it closes up fast so I heated my scriber and melted the hole, slipped the strap over the split rivet then sandwiched the washer on top. here is the tricky part, you need a tool plus some force to hammer the split rivets legs apart. I didn't have a tool so I used a Philips screwdriver and hammer. (ab plate shown)

e81y.jpg

pretty successful except... (oh-no my first screw up) the screwdriver slipped on the last rivet and went through the PVC (see upper left rivet below) going to have to sand, fill and paint that later.

ikbr.jpg

dam, learn from my mistakes and use the proper tools

Edited by WideAMG

installed the longer brackets on the chest plate

64cl.jpg

lagx.jpg

mmoc.jpg

created the loops by cutting from the supplied roll of strapping material. melted the ends to prevent fraying and simply hand sewn the ends together.

qfup.jpg

ji5d.jpg

installed the loops. may have to adjust the lengths after final fit

kw4y.jpg

Good stuff Paul. Thanks.

-Eric

Your brackets should really be much closer to the ends of the chest and abdomen. I have noticed a lot of builds lately that are putting them in the same places you are and it is not right. See the original RS armour bracket placements for future reference.

Posted Image

I hadn't see that picture you posted Paul.

I am referencing this pic from the Lucas archives found on the FISD photo reference.

the space between the chest plate edge and the first screw is about 30mm

7w4w.jpg

I would say more like 20mm max. See how close the abdomen bracket is to the end of the plate? Almost in line with the rivet.

I am sure this will not be a problem for you but hopefully others will not follow your lead as many do. If nothing is pointed out then no one ever learns the right way to build accurate armour :)

thanks Paul, i want to confirm that we are talking about the same thing (for newbies like me)

i am referring to the first screw from the edge on the chest plate. circled in red below

ucxt.jpg

i realize that the edge of the chest plate may not be the best reference point since the width of the chest can be off.

what i did was mount the ab brackets first then matched up to the chest. here is the reference pic (also from the FISD photo archives) and my ab.

dq1e.jpg

jn9u.jpg

this is not to challenge, just to educate and illustrate if my interpretation was incorrect :huh:

Edited by WideAMG

Yes we are talking about the same screws.

I realise not every armour would have them in exactly the same spot, but I think yours are too far inwards. It doesn't help that the RS brackets are not the same size as the originals so that causes problems. The chest brackets on the original armour are wider than the rest so they should be roughly 20mm from the end of the chest plate and the abdomen 25mm. These measurements are not exact but should help for future reference, especially if you have correctly sized brackets.