MTK 99% finished, and trimming question

Hi everyone! I've spent nearly every moment of my spare time for the past month getting this together.  It's my first kit, and MTK's kit was a great one to start with.  Anyway here are my 99% pictures (e6000 is drying on the hand guards atm) and I have a couple of odds and ends to do (neck seal and belt snaps).  

Important question: I want to be able to sit in this suit (so far unable mainly due to the top of the thighs).  How much (if any) can I trim them down and still get 501st approval.  I love to attend cons mainly for cosplay but also for panels and don't want to give either up! =) 

Any insights would be appreciated! =)

-Toothpick

photo5_zpsf739c29f.jpg

photo4_zpsc545eba3.jpg

photo3_zpsb72de7db.jpg

photo2_zps20dc3ab2.jpg

photo1_zpse1cdea86.jpg

First of all congratulation for all the work you've been through and accomplished. All the guys who have already built an armor know it's an huge amount of work!

Now, few things that could be done to improve your armor:

- Your belt is far too low. In fact it should slightly cover the bottom of the abdominal buttons as you can see on the pic below:

med_gallery_12157_11_156106.jpg

- Your shins should be overlapped over the top of your boots

med_gallery_12157_11_653630.jpg

- Also it looks like your left shin close the wrong way (or it's maybe just a visual impression). The outer half should cover the inner half. 

- Your holster shouldn't be looped around your belt but fastened by the inside of the canvas belt for an ANH trooper.

ANHHolsterPlacement01.jpg

- Your left bicep looks really wider than your right one. Makes it look like a bit odd.

- On your pictures the tube strips on your helmet look straight and not bent backwards.

med_gallery_12157_15_29303.jpg

And about your thighs why not just twisting them outward when you want to sit rather than cutting them? 

Germain Merci Beaucoup pour le conseil!

I was planning on fastening the belt in the correct position via snaps, it is definitely too low in these pics.  Also, thanks for the advice on the boots, that should help tremendously with mobility, and I should be able to drop the thighs down as a result.  Also, the pictures don't necessarily do the helmet justice. Here is a better pic that I took during the build process before I added the pinstripe to the ear! 

ANHBuild20_zpsf64e75ef.jpg

As far as the left bicep goes, that was the way the kit came.  The left and right biceps are slightly different in size/shape.  Not sure what to do about that. The biceps are currently about as small as I can manage. =/

And I will definitely fasten the holster in a better fashion! =)

Edited by toothpick6

Nice looking helmet! Wear it proudly ;)

For your left bicep what you could do is to let the front cover strips in place but to remove the rear ones and then to trim down the rear halves until the fit is good. Remove the flat sections if needed, i believe these sections are here only for those who want to assemble their armor with the overlaping technique.

As a pic is always better than an endless speech:

45807310.jpg

I've loved the kit so far! Tip of the hat to MTK.  I agree the price is awesome, but the quality is top notch really.  Germain, I am in the process of trimming the left bicep and I have the cuts to prove it lol.  How does one make the boots stay under the shins? My shins rise up when I walk. 

The thing you can do is to link the bottom of your shins with your boots. 

xcxi.jpg nxm2.jpg

It's a bit tricky to pop it on but it works really great. The first purpose of this mod is to keep your shin from twisting but i'm sure it can also keep your shin from rising up.

In addition to the popper you can also add some padding so the shins are a bit tighter around your legs.

And congrats on re trimming your biceps, i had to do it to and it was a hard decision to take!

• 1 month later...

Hate to revive an old thread, but Matt if you read this could you chime in with your height/weight? So I can make a decision on Mike's MTK kit or not.

Thanks

adam

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Job Matt, Its looking good.

I too recently bought one of these kits, I know he had 4 available about a month ago, im guesing you and I were both 2 of the buyers!  Unfortunately I am also having a slight issue with my biceps.  One (i believe my left) is quite larger than the other.  I have not fixed or changed anything yet as I am still putting it all together.  I bought it, but couldnt open it till Christmas Day....

Nice Job so far!