HOWTO: Wire up a RomFx to take AA batteries

Daetrin

From tk4544 on this thread:

-------

Okay, here's some pics of what I did. It's not the prettiest hack job, but it works great.

Here's a pic of the first box, it's unmodded. Note that this box has the on/off switch:

2252349571_8b4cb1d6fb.jpg

Here is a pic of the second, modded, box:

2252351981_aa3e14eac2.jpg

I removed the on/off switch from the second box and soldered the red wire from the first box into the point where the on/off switch was connected in the second box (it's the little metal tab on the left of the pic).

Then I connected the black (ground) wire from the first to the red from a 9V connector wire, and the red from the second box to the black from the 9V connector. That gives 12V output that I can hook up to the ROM/FX:

2252351413_5e78e79dd6.jpg

2252350801_f1340ea7c3.jpg

2252399539_dbccbbc91c.jpg

2252400273_53caa77aa8.jpg

No more changing batteries after 2 hours of trooping! Heck, I have been using the same batteries for the last 3 troops! :y:

It helps to have a volt meter to check the output, in case you wire up something backwards (like I did the first time I tried this :shock:), that way you can make sure you got it right and not risk frying your ROM/FX.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Sweet :)

John May swears by Duracell M3. I usually use one 9V one.

Although my new lid with have a 11.2V LiPo rechargeable battery. the ones they use in model aeroplanes.

I had originally thought I could just get a really good 9V and be okay, but since changing to the 12V set up I have been REALLY happy. I thought about using special batteries, but was worried that they might generate too much heat.

The next mod I am thinking of doing is the same as the 4xAA, but using AAA to see how long they last. The size reduction would be nice, but even with 2 4xAA boxes my bucket fits fine and isn't very heavy. It's an RT/Mod, and doesn't have a lot of room to spare.

• 3 weeks later...
My RomFx (2006) came with AA cases but I reverted to a 9v. If I could fit the AA in my helmet it would be better but it's a tight fit already.

What helmet do you have? I have an RT/Mod and I can just fit the 2 AA boxes comfortably. I might try 2 AAA boxes and see how that works for my next helmet (a TE2 that needs painting, too bad it's too cold here to do it :angry: )

What helmet do you have? I have an RT/Mod and I can just fit the 2 AA boxes comfortably. I might try 2 AAA boxes and see how that works for my next helmet (a TE2 that needs painting, too bad it's too cold here to do it :angry: )

God dont you hate when the weather doesnt cooperate with your painting plans? Whenever i paint here it seems that a freak snowstorm appears and atempts to ruin my project.

AP helmet. I think the AA boxes will fit just want to find the right spot so I don't totally imbalance the helmet.